Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dreamskull

Omega 97 (Prototype)

Omega 97 is a mega map that replaces the original MAP27 from Doom 2.

Please run this map using Zandronum with the following file loadout.

1- Omega 97 (Link Below)

(File Removed - Continue to new thread on Page 2)

PLEASE LOAD ALL FILES TOGETHER TO GET INTENDED EXPERIENCE!

There are few minor errors present within this map that prevent it working with other modifications.

I would love to find and fix these errors, but I'm afraid its beyond me. This is my very first map.

It was designed in mind for four players, but its entirely possible to complete it alone.

There are a variety of pathways available to maximize replayability as well as custom monsters.

This map is huge and this map is challenging. You have been warned fair and square.

ATTENTION: Skybox issues fix themselves if launched with either Plutonia or TNT rather than Doom2!

Edited by Dreamskull : Removed a picture

If anyone wants to critique my map, feel free to do so! I'd like to get your honest opinions about it. No worries!

Also, I hereby give permission to anyone in this fine community to use this map's assets in any way they see fit. 

Its a coincidence; honest! That's just the exit of the level.

Edited by Dreamskull : I doubt you'll even make it that far...

I lost interest at one point, so here's my summary upto that point.

1. the texturing is jarring and not very creative.
2. huge areas.
3. lack of labelling (eg yellow door looks like a normal door)
4. attempts to provide challenge to the player by using lots of enemies.
5. dull music kills the experience.
6. too repetitive to compensate the the long playtime.
7. flat progression.

The architecture seems kinda neat though.

I don't like this map. It has too many open spaces, for a map filled with hitscanners. There is no texture variety, and they are not alignet at all. Sorry but you got to know your limits and make a map suitable for your skills, rather than start with the biggest map ever created, with little to no fun included. 

Also, don't use wolfenstein ss monster, ever. 

Hmm... What's your opinion on the Evil Marine replacement used in Brutal Doom and others like it?

Edited by Dreamskull : I actually like the Evil Marine!

On 8/30/2017 at 7:30 AM, Cheshire Sphinx said:

Sorry, been super busy with RL stuff. I'll comment tonight if I possibly can!

Are you actually going to do what you said you were going to do?

Edited by Dreamskull : I am disappointed.

It should be noted that people ought to take it upon themselves to load all 3 recommended files together to get the intended experience. 

Edited by Dreamskull : Most everyone in this thread didn't bother to load the files together.

Has anyone managed to beat this level yet? It'd be a shame if even the strongest doom community couldn't finish it.

Yeah, you have to pay attention to know where things are. 

If you load the files correctly, you heal after melee finishers. 

Edited by Dreamskull : The Evil Marines and other custom monsters can be brutal though!

On 11/18/2017 at 4:32 PM, Dreamskull said:

Has anyone managed to beat this level yet? It'd be a shame if even the strongest doom community couldn't finish it.

Are you trying to troll the Doomworld community?

On 10/6/2017 at 3:34 PM, Dreamskull said:

It should be noted that people ought to take it upon themselves to load all 3 recommended files together to get the intended experience. 

On 8/27/2017 at 6:40 PM, Dreamskull said:

2- Jrmyxd Arsenal v4.pk3

3- DoomMetalVol4.wad

(These can be found elsewhere)

PLEASE LOAD ALL FILES TOGETHER TO GET INTENDED EXPERIENCE!

It might be nice to include those files here or point to a link where one could get them because they are considered vital to the experience. Just saying "These can be found elsewhere" and then complaining when busy people don't go hunt for them doesn't strike me as helpful.

About the files...

I don't own them or have permission to use them in any official capacity, so its not my call, sorry.

I've been prowling around, reading the forum. Things are more flowery than I'm used to elsewhere.

I'm not trolling the community. I love the community. I just feel like I got a bad shake. That's all.

I've already forfeited my work to this community. I just want to make sure people know that much. 

Edited by Dreamskull : Mixed Feelings

1 hour ago, Dreamskull said:

About the files...

I don't own them or have permission to use them in any official capacity, so its not my call, sorry.

You made a map that requires mods that can't even be publicly linked to? That... Uhh... What

You either don't understand that linking to other people's mods is perfectly fine, or you've made the most pointless map ever.

My small review. 
Alright. This map is big. Seriously. It's easy to get lost and no labeled doors makes progress harder. I liked big spaces, but with big spaces there comes hard things like monster/things placement and room detailing. 
Custom monsters. I'm pretty neutral towards them. I don't know, I won't judge.
Monster and things placement. As experienced mappers would say, monster encouters are mostly incidental and combat is also incidental. Way too much hitscanners, they drain life too fast,even if players are far away from them(not much covers to hide from them). Even if map contains 1400 monsters, they're easy to dodge and no pressure is felt due space. Health/ammo/armor stuff are grouped in chunks. Well, also it takes few minutes to find those important things. Also, where's no clue where to search keys and if combine with no labeled doors with keys, it creates big mess. 

My suggestions.
Build smaller maps. Twice, trice smaller than this one. They're more easier to handle and doesn't bore players to death. 
When you build map,think about how you deliver monsters, besides putting them in room to shoot like dolls. There so many cool ways to create traps - teleporting them from closets, lowering/raising floors and walls, using scripts(if you will go with advanced mapping format).

Give very small clues where to search important things like keys/switches and so on. 
You need learn how to align walls. It's quite simple, try practice that and left hotkeys for that thing. 
Also, I recommend test things unmodded first and after you balance everything, try with mods. 
Play more good wads and study them and check how they created interesting pieces.

Don't stop create maps, you already made first steps. Now you should continue and don't let criticism to stop you, it's mostly to try help you and see your mistakes from other person view.

P.s Wall alignment hotkeys:
A key-horizontal alignment(x)
A key+Shift key-vertical alignment(y)
L-lower unpegged 
U-upper unpegged

Edited by Myst.Haruko

20 hours ago, Dreamskull said:

About the files...

I've been prowling around, reading the forum. Things are more flowery than I'm used to elsewhere.

I'm not trolling the community. I love the community. I just feel like I got a bad shake. That's all.

I've already forfeited my work to this community. I just want to make sure people know that much. 

Here, I did the dirty work for you:

2nd File: http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/addons/bd-v20b-jrmyxd-arsenal

3rd File:http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/downloads/doom-metal-soundtrack-mod-volume-4 (song by SgtMarkIV who is a DW community member)

I take it this was meant to be played with Brutal Doom?

Here you go - its FINISHED

(File Removed - Continue to new thread on Page 2)

Edited by Dreamskull : Official Doom World Upload