Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cybermind

First-try Demo Contest #17 (September 2, 14:00 UTC)

It's time for new First-try Demo Contest!

This time you will get a quite challenging map (no more 2-hour adventures like it was in previous contest)

Detailed information and rules:

Spoiler

General information:
1. Map format - Limit removing, demo format - Final Doom (complevel 4 in PrBoom+), IWAD - plutonia.wad, author - cybermind, tester - Demon of the Well.
2. Recommended ports to use:
prBoom+/glBoom+ with complevel 4 (TURN OFF intercepts overflow)

3. Recommended command lines:
prboom-plus.exe -iwad plutonia.wad -file fdcm19.wad -complevel 4 -skill 4 -record YOURNICK
glboom-plus.exe -iwad plutonia.wad -file fdcm19.wad -complevel 4 -skill 4  -record YOURNICK
(replace YOURNICK with your nickname)

Players are allowed to add "-longtics" parameter if they want it.

Contest plan:
1. At Sept.2 13:00 UTC I'll post the link to passworded archive containing WAD file and additional link with .bat files containing the command lines above (for faster start). Download them and prepare your archiver for WAD unpacking.
2. At Sept.2 14:00 UTC I'll post the password here. You should immediately unpack the archive and start recording the demo (use the command lines above).
3. During demo recording it's forbidden to: use any TAS tools and features, pause the game, switch between applications, enter in-game menu. More than 30 seconds of WT tics (being idle) will count as foul.
4. If you have died, press USE instead of restarting demo recording. There is no limit for deaths, but all attempts should be in one demo file.
5. After you have finished recording, pack your demo immediately in ZIP file with the same file name and send it to upload server (will be posted with WAD file). Use only Latin letters and underscore symbol for file names.
6. Contest time limit is 3 hours. I'll start demo processing after time expiration.

Results processing:
1. I'll compare your upload time with your demo time. The difference should be no more than 4 minutes (e.g. contest starts at 14:00 UTC, your demo time is 12:34 and you've uploaded your demo at 14:15:00 UTC, so that's OK). If difference is more than 4 minutes, every extra full minute will cost you +5 minute penalty to your demo time (e.g. contest starts at 14:00 UTC, your demo time is 34:56 and you've uploaded your demo at 14:42:00 UTC, so you will have +15 minute penalty and your total time will be 49:56). But if the difference is more than 15 minutes, your demo will be out of contest.
2. I'll watch all your demos and form the final results table. The demo with the smallest total time wins (death count is not taken into account).

Misc. Recommendations:
1. Sync your computer's time to be sure you're doing things in right time.
2. Abstain from drinking alcohol and take a piss before the contest :)

Rules were composed by Hitherto for FDC#6 and have been edited and translated to English by cybermind.

If you're not familiar with the event, here is topic with previous contest:

Post here if you want to participate, we are welcome for everybody!

Edited by cybermind

Yay, I have been waiting for another one of these and I am definitely interested in participating!

Wow, it's been almost two years, really? Almost unforgivable considering that good new maps are being released every week.

I hope I'll be available on that day.

To all newcomers I would recommend to practice at least on something like plutonia map32 (try to beat it without saves), or it would be too difficult for you to beat the actual contest map.

----------------------

First post updated, detailed rules and information added.

Edited by cybermind

I'm in.

EDIT: I can't. :(

EDIT2: Maybe can, no idea.

Edited by rodster

As memfis said these should be held more often,monthly basis at-least as lots of new maps released every now and often...i hopefully would take part...
Seeking help from automap is allowed or not?

It never was forbidden to use (though automap won't be much of use in this map)

-------------------------

IMPORTANT: Turn off Intercept Overflow emulation setting in PrBoom+ (there was all-ghosts bug once during tests)

(! ATTENTION) Some important information:

- Upload time reduced to 4 minutes.

- Upload server http://fdc.iddqd.ru requires Adobe Flash Player to work, so check if it's installed on your system.

18 minutes ago, cybermind said:

requires Adobe Flash Player to work, so check if it's installed on your system

Yeah, it's not, and it won't be. That's not happening. Guess I'll either just post the file here, or not bother at all.

Sorry, guys, but upload server isn't mine.

Ok, if you don't have the Flash Player, you should send the demos to me via PM (don't post them in public!)

Passworded ZIP file containing WAD file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8uttx62y8l86n3b/fdcm19.zip?dl=0
Bat files:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jymaek1k7havyi/bats.zip?dl=0

Replace NICKNAME in bat files to your nick before start.
longtics-bat are for those who prefer playing with longtics.

Password will be revealed at 14:00 UTC (prepare your archiver for unpacking, 7-Zip and WinRAR are recommended)

Don't forget to turn off Intercepts Overflow emulation (Options-General-5 pages right)

Upload your demos to http://fdc.iddqd.ru (Adobe Flash Player required) or via PM
Remember, you have only 4 minutes extra for uploading (so prepare a browser tab before contest starts)

FWIW I reposted the announcement in the Doom thread on /vr/ a few minutes ago. Probably a bit late and there aren't many demo recorders there, but I figured, what the heck.

For any Debian users I just found the 'unzip' package won't open the archive:

Archive:  fdcm19.zip
   skipping: fdcm19.wad              need PK compat. v5.1 (can do v4.6)

I found I needed to install the package 'p7zip-full' and use 7z, which gets as far as asking for a password, so I hope it will work as expected.

Extracting archive: fdcm19.zip
--
Path = fdcm19.zip
Type = zip
Physical Size = 572256

Enter password (will not be echoed):

Hope that helps somebody.

Anyway, good luck, everyone. I don't expect to rank higher than last place, if I finish at all. Although I practised pl32 this morning I only won because I know it really well and how to minimize danger. I just hope to survive really.

Finished :)

That was a great bloodbath, very generous with health but intense moments where you can potentially crumble, thanks for hosting ;)

I think that map had more monsters than the last few megawads I've played combined. I don't think I could finish it without saves, but just trying was fun.

Haven't played for about a year, glad that at least was able to finish it.

+1 to Memfis, wasted some cells +)

Good level btw.