Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

My first official map.

So, after watching a bunch of tutorials from Doom Builder, I crumbled them all up and turned all my knowledge to a small map, which is my very first Doom map.

So I want someone to test the wad and review it.

Made using: DoomBuilder 2

Tested on: GZDoom

Play it via Doom 2.

MYFIRSTMAP.zip

Screen1.JPG.bbefcbcced89aa9471306988c4af5d6e.JPG

Screen2.JPG.388ed4dcab810c6f3c0a4030cf06d31f.JPG

Screen3.JPG.f81a7e81f75df84949ca00895b82c77a.JPG

Let me know what you guys think about it, and according to your reviews, I may/may not be uploading that to the /idgames archive.

Edited by TFK

It's a functional map, but it's more of a 'first learning exercise' than a legitimate map. Some people's first maps are two simple rooms connected with a door, with an exit in one. That sort of thing isn't worth uploading to the archives. 

On the basics of design, you should . . . 

- align the BIGDOOR textures properly and give them proper lengths (x-alignments of 0, lengths in multiples of 128 in this case);

- slightly recess them in walls, in this case (the wall and door being parallel doesn't look so good);

- use proper door textures for the dimensions of the walls they are on, as with the DOOR3 in your second shot (it's a 72-high texture, not 128; and its horizontal width works simplest in multiples of 64);

- adjust the width of the central hallway (also shown in your second shot) so that the light texture isn't cut off abruptly.

One 'advanced' technique is to fit textures to arbitrary lengths via alignment and splitting, such as DOOR3 (64x72) on a 96x64 wall in the screenshot below, but for now it's better to use more standard lengths in the first place.

Spoiler

9df9yFq.png

There isn't much gameplay to comment on. With a stocked plasma rifle, a megasphere, and an invul, you can place more dangerous monsters.

Edited by rdwpa

I admit I've not played it, so my comments are based strictly on the screenshots. Normally I would, but I don't have time right now!

@rdwpa nailed it on the head, really. You've learned how to make the editor do things for you, give Doom 1 a quick playthrough and try replicating some of the design principles you see-- stuff like sectors within sectors (like stairs, for example) or switches and other things. Start broad and easy (height variations are the simplest thing you can do I think) and build up a library of fundamental skills that you can then use to build more complex maps.

Don't be afraid to experiment, fail often and fail quickly so you can learn faster. Save often and don't be afraid of /not/ showing people your second crack at making a map-- most artists don't publish their study sketchbooks even though they continue to improve. That said, you've got plenty of resources to draw from; there are tons of text tutorials and videos. Keep experimenting, keep playing around with ideas and learn and practice the fundamentals. Sweeping orchestras, national anthems and hard rock albums are all born from the same fundamental notes. :)

Good luck, I look forward to seeing where you go from here.

Doors are awfully misaligned, add a little bit of height variations and change that door3 thing in the last shot to a bigdoor texture... And I think it could be acceptable.

2 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Doors are awfully misaligned, add a little bit of height variations and change that door3 thing in the last shot to a bigdoor texture... And I think it could be acceptable.

We all have to start somewhere.

The problem is Doom Builder's automatic texture alignment where you split a linedef it will set the X offset and that offsett is not reset if you create a door. You could select all and set the X and Y to 0, then in 3D mode press the A button to align the textures you want to align.

Doors need to be 64 or 128 across, depending on texture. For example BIGDOOR2 is 128x128 (width and height), DOOR1 is 64x72, SPCDOOR3 is 64x128. But once you improve on your mapping you'll learn many new features. It is hard at first but once you have a basic understanding you'll be tearing it up in the map editor.

maptutr1.png

6 minutes ago, pcorf said:

We all have to start somewhere.

The problem is Doom Builder's automatic texture alignment where you split a linedef it will set the X offset and that offsett is not reset if you create a door. You could select all and set the X and Y to 0, then in 3D mode press the A button to align the textures you want to align.

Doors need to be 64 or 128 across, depending on texture. For example BIGDOOR2 is 128x128 (width and height), DOOR1 is 64x72, SPCDOOR3 is 64x128. But once you improve on your mapping you'll learn many new features. It is hard at first but once you have a basic understanding you'll be tearing it up in the map editor.

Are there any other issues on my map?

If you are in GZDoomBuilder and in "3D Mode" (I can't remember the proper name for it sorry) you can place your cursor for example one the door and press 'a' or 'shift+a', the program will try to automatically align the textures. In somecase you might still have to play with the values, just like pcorf shows in his post.

The map is fine, except the misalligned door textures :D Would like to see more.

Edited by rodster

If you have PrBoom+ or Chocolate Doom lying around, here are a couple demos you can watch:

First attempt: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndqv40h4iww8335/MYFIRSTMAP_fda.lmp?dl=1

UV Max: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wcc2fqw923eml6f/MYFIRSTMAP_uvmax.lmp?dl=1

A few points of feedback:

- There are waaaay more resources than are necessary (ammo, health, and powerups).

- Perhaps require a key or a switch to open the exit door, and mark the exit so that it's obviously an exit, so that players don't stumble into it accidentally like I did.

- Consider placing the weapons/ammo inside the rooms with the monsters, so that there's more incentive to go into all of them.

Hi TFK!

Thanks for uploading your map. I played it through and finished it in 3:03 minutes only using pistol and punching. 

What I recommend is trying to create a longer/meatier map before giving it for a playtesting, put more time into to fix major misalignments on textures and polish the map.

What I saw was unbalance in weapons aka difficulty, great weapons and powerups and easy enemies.

Also, floor texture was bizarre to my taste, so the map felt off like you know giving "temporary" textures.

Atleast you gave the editor enough time to make doors and exit point, so that's your "hello world" in level design of Doom I guess.

Keep it up and share your future effort with us!

I Played it,  it's really short, i think you should expand on it, but i like the idea that all of the corrridors contain other weapons and powerups, i think you should do it like, that you can't go back after choosing a corridor, so the experience would vary in some degree for each playthrough, it's not a bad map really, i think it's a pretty good starting point for a much much better map :)