Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

What would you like to see more of in user wads?

What are wads lacking theses days? Any particular monster or weapon that doesn’t get enough air time? A source port feature that has real potential, but never gets used? Well post 'em here my friends!

Wow, 2 cool threads about wads in one day... I'd say...Mirrors. In fact, Ive never seen a wad (not made by me) that has a mirror in it...Oh yeah, there aren't enough elevators either!

DOOM Anomaly said:

ya, hehe ur like a vampire, u cant see yourself in it!! :P

Better a vampire than a vampy!

Ultimate DooMer said:

More ZDoom stuff!

Yes I know there is some good ZDoom stuff out there but not enough...

Maybe I should make some...:?

I replaced the chaingun with the MP-40, looks and feels damn good! too bad the P_amp40.voc won't load right. I'm using GFE to get this stuff from the ROTT wad.

Edit: Add a bazooka. Soon to be flame thrower. sortof.

Mirrors - the Captain Mancubus WAD in Newstuff has a mirror right at the start (for obvious reasons when you play).

RoTT - XWE can very successfully extract the graphics for it. All we need is someone to put in the work of making a full mod.

I extracted some of the weapons for something I'm doing after my ccmap22, but before my revivification DM. Dreamscape- Visions of terror. Blame Sphange for the good idea.

Edit: DS-VoT will probably be pretty short, but good. I hope.

Sphagne said:

Surreal unrealistic scenes that you are sure you would not see anything nearly like it in real life.

I agree on that one. There has been too much of a trend towards realism in FPS'es anyway.

Little Faith said:
I agree on that one. There has been too much of a trend towards realism in FPS'es anyway.

Why not both Half Life style? I know I am one of the very few people who like the Xen part Half life as much as the rest of it. It was like a nod back to the glorious FPS of old. Once upon a time, they were all set in abstract settings (sort of).

Ct_red_pants said:

Why not both Half Life style? I know I am one of the very few people who like the Xen part Half life as much as the rest of it. It was like a nod back to the glorious FPS of old. Once upon a time, they were all set in abstract settings (sort of).

Imo, the xen part was the worst part of HL (not that bad, but worser than the whole game).

But you can't make realism like in HL (or other fps games) in doom.
It is too simple for that... :)

Torn said:

But you can't make realism like in HL (or other fps games) in doom.
It is too simple for that... :)

Hmm...I'm not sure about that. I've got some pretty good areas in my ZDoom project that have a Half-Life/Sin kind of realism.

I'd like to see more Arch-Viles and Revenants. (In other words, hard-as-nails gameplay.) I appreciate it if wads are playtested for UV -fast and maybe NM, with perhaps a little thought also given to Pacifist.

Sphagne said:

Surreal unrealistic scenes that you are sure you would not see anything nearly like it in real life.

Hacx has several examples of maps of this type: the ones where you are (allegedly) inside a computer or something. AFAIK, it is OK to make add-on maps for Hacx, so you wouldn't have to create the resources from scratch. Players would need to have the full version of Hacx, but that has now been made available for free.

Edit: Hacx can be obtained from: http://www.drnostromo.com/hacx/GetHacx.html
The weird "in-computer" maps are 05, 10, 14 and 20.

DooMer 4ever said:

Custom graphics on weapons and monsters.

Ahm workin' on it.

DooMer 4ever said:

Custom graphics on weapons and monsters.

umm im new here but i got a copy of wintex at one point and am like an addict for the graphics, im really trying to catch up on these new doom things as i think i must have broke my fingers at some point and completely forgot about it b/c for some reason i stopped playing it? go figure but now every one is talking zdoom and boom and all this gragon and im like ugh? so yeah im jsut running the orginal engine and i am jsut starting to figure that out but looking at some of the stuff that you guys are up to im like WOW, alot of the newer games that are out aint half as impressive as some of the screen shots i've seen on this forum today

i also think that the original weapons need alittle spiffying up but i don't believe so much in taking a weapon from say ROTT and putting it into doom i like to make my own stuff

eye_con said:

i also think that the original weapons need alittle spiffying up but i don't believe so much in taking a weapon from say ROTT and putting it into doom i like to make my own stuff

I'm not capable of that but I would like to use my own designs, i just wish they'd support new enemies + the old ones.

Xanthier said:

I'm not capable of that but I would like to use my own designs, i just wish they'd support new enemies + the old ones.

i don't think it matters how good you are at making your own graphics, mine aren't the worst i've seen but, really if you jsut want to spice things up and change some stuff why not jsut throw crap in there even if you jsut draw squiggles as long as you don't expect an award for the wad i don't think any one would care, some times if im in a hurry i jsut make up some random crap and play like that i don't really care, wanna know a neat tip use wintex (its not hard, if i can figure it out) and create a new wad in file i believe and name it mine.wad or somin then you'll see it in the bottom of the 2 boxes that have files double click on it and it'll bring up whats in your wad, which is nothing, go back to the orginal window which will still be up and double click on the doom.wad or doom2.wad, and it'll bring up the stuff in the main wad which is every thing in doom besides the engine, at the bottom of that screen is a series of buttons, one will have a guns or little man or somin, click on that, and it'll bring up the sprites, scroll through the main list until you get to somin like "TROOA1" it should be the imp select all the TROO@# and click edit copy entries and go to your mine.wad and click edit paste entries, this will put the imp images in your wad then double click on the listing, and it'll bring up paint brush use the little eye dropper and right click on the aqua colored area then go to the menu bar and invert the colors use the fill (paint bucket) to paint the background the imp should be a cool red color, he might hae some annoying white spots and you can jsut fill that in with black or what ever, then click close, when prompted save the image and click yes to apply the changes. then click file and save wad, go back to the first window select mine.wad, and compile the wad with what ever doom you want doom 1 or 2, and then use the doom -file mine.wad to run your wad all your imps should be replaced with a red imp it looks very cool and is dam easy, even if it look long

I myself would like to see more realism in wads. But that's me. I like seeing detailed, realistic stuff in wads that, if you've got an imagination, you could clearly see it in reality (tm).