Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CrazyDoomguy

Make any sence create new Megawad?

If you feel really secure to do it, I would recommend it. When I released smaller mapsets, not many players played them, although the overall feedback was quite positive. However, when I released a megawad, much more people got interested, and, although not all feedback was positive, I was able to learn a lot more as a designer.

If you don't have much experience, I certainly recommend to try for smaller mapsets (with short maps) or single larger levels first, though.

If you're asking generally if people in this community are interested in playing new good megawads, I assure you they are. If you're asking if people are interested about your project, that's going to evolve while your project will be in development. Before you start making it and while you're just talking about what you're going to do, there will be practically no interest. Once you actually make some of it, and post screenshots or maps or whatever actually indicative of your work's quality, and people who see the screenshots (etc.) will like them, they will become interested. That's how interest works. If you want to estimate interest in your project, you need to estimate yourself how much your future work will appeal to people. Nobody can estimate this for you, as your future work exists nowhere but in your vision yet.

With the amount of content this community creates, I'd personally prefer less megawads and more shorter, episodic releases. You have to consider just how exhausting making a megawad is, and how long it takes to make and to play. Please don't subscribe to the mentality that you need 32 maps for your mapset to be considered finished.

Everybody starts somewhere. I'd suggest you partake in a few community projects(particularly nova 3 before it closes to new submissions) for at least a year - then do a single episode megawad(11 maps?).

I've done numerous times the mistake of trying to do large projects. Either you lose interest quickly or you sit down and plan and realize beforehand that it is too much and then you lose interest that way instead.

Make the maps if you enjoy making maps. If people actually play the maps, that's an awesome bonus, but your motivation should be that you enjoy making maps, and your target audience should be you: make maps that you would enjoy playing.

Edited by Empyre : corrrected a typo

As long as you enjoy making maps, make as many as you can! Though I would definitely not recommend starting with a megawad for your first project (like I did). Start with making a few single maps and share them to get some feedback, and go from there.

Team up with someone, with two guys 16 maps each you're probably more succesful, or 3 or 4 guys. Doing it alone demands alot of time and dedication, you risk getting burned up long before seeing it completed. Or go for a smaller episode first before attempting to go all the way. Tried making megawad twice allready, its going to be fun at first then after a while it will start to frustrate the hell out of you cause the progress is just too damm slow.

And I have OCD, my brain sucks....