Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

A MIDI2MUS for 32/64 bit

Question

I keep forgetting where a modern OS compatible version of the program is, a little bit of help? I know about using DOSBOX method but it just goes in multiple directories and is more awkward to use that way.

9 answers to this question

Just to be clear as your intention isn't obvious, there is no need to convert MIDI to MUS. The only port (including even Doom v1.9) that is not able to play back a MIDI is Doom95. Vanilla will automatically convert the MIDI to MUS assuming the result is a valid MUS.

IMO the more awkward, complicated, and generally discouraging MIDI2MUS is, the better. Let MIDI stay MIDI.

45 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

MIDI2MUS and MUS2MIDI work on my Win7 32-bit without any boxes or doses.

Because they're  still 32-bit Windows. They took away the ability to "natively" run 16-bit apps (whether DOS or Windows) in 64-bit versions of the OS. I am not sure if you can still run them in 32-bit versions of Windows 8 or 10, for that matter.

Ninja edit: apparently they still can, but who knows how long that's gonna last. Even early Windows XP (pre-SP1) had the ability to run far more DOS games and apps "natively" than later service packs could, but that ability was progressively eroded in the name of security.

29 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

The only port (including even Doom v1.9) that is not able to play back a MIDI is Doom95.

Which is ironic, considering how MIDI playback essentially came "for free" with the Windows multimedia APIs, and even the shittiest 90s shareware Windows 3.0 games included a MIDI tune, it was that trivial. It really needs some explaining how the Doom95 team managed to lock themselves out of that functionality (even more strangely, the Doom95 installer DOES play a MIDI).

MUS2MIDI is a useful program, that converts a format not supported by your everyday media players to a format that can be used for listening, editing, etc.

MIDI2MUS is for those that want their music to run on Doom95, even though it's buggy as fuck, over 20 years old and we have dozens of ports that are infinitely better than it.

I'd like to re-open this question. In light of the recent-ish change in GZDoom to remove fmod and use OpenAL, some MIDI's don't play when using the (common default) "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" MIDI device. The MUS format tracks I have all play as intended, however. Is there a way on a 64-bit machine to convert MIDI to MUS? Or is there a better solution that people can propose?

Why do you want to use that broken POS of a MIDI synth?

BTW, chances are that the songs are not playing because they do stuff the Windows synth cannot handle. In that case it is very likely that converting a song to MUS will butcher it completely.

50 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

because they do stuff the Windows synth cannot handle

They seem to function 100% correctly when played via Windows Media Player. And I use the MS GS Wavetable because it's what I'm used to, and based on what I hear in most YT videos it seems like it's the most common midi device that's used? I am open to being corrected on that.