Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
superchargecacodemons800

Worst map in The Ultimate Doom

Although it's not technically Doom-related, Heretic E4M1 is ridiculous and E5M1 from the same game is right behind it in its obnoxiousness.

1 hour ago, TFK said:

E4M1. Almost impossible even in Hurt Me Plenty(all due to respawning monsters).

?

for me, i'd say e2m9, e4m4, e4m7, e4m9 (the rest of episode 4 is good though), and e3m8 are among the worst.

also i like heretic's e5m1, i thought it was a pretty good opening map for the final episode ;~;

Easy answer.

Unholy Cathedral.

It has a trillion teleporters, leading to God knows where and you have to find your way through them.

Last time I played this map, I must have spent 15-20 minutes to beat it and this is not an exagerration.

E4M2 was painful on ultra violence. For me it was the stopping point of Ultimate DOOM.

Always really hated E3M1 personally. Somehow the map feels like a slog despite only having 26 enemies...

1 hour ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

Easy answer.

Unholy Cathedral.

It has a trillion teleporters, leading to God knows where and you have to find your way through them.

Last time I played this map, I must have spent 15-20 minutes to beat it and this is not an exagerration.

Agree, horrible map with an even worse gimmick to stretch it.

Fortress of Mystery, Unholy Cathedral and Unruly Evil. Limbo is tedious but not the worst...

4 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

e4m4, the laziest and most filler of all the non-secret maps.

Preach.

I don't think there are any terrible maps in The Ultimate Doom, though. It's a pretty consistently solid set.

Not sure where people get off always bringing up Fortress of Mystery in these discussions, because it's clearly just a bonus setpiece meant to show off a new mechanic. It's memorable and totally does its job.

It's also more fun that playing the rest of E2M5 "Command Center," which would probably be my second-place vote for its somewhat inscrutable layout.

I find E1 to be the most fun. E2 explores some unique-ish themes, but still fun. E3 is acceptable. E4 is not even that great; more like an alternate and more poor take on E3.

I'll go with any E4 map. At least the other episodes follow some kind of theme and progression.

Fuck E3M8 though. Terrible music, huge and basically empty map with an underwhelming boss *tsk tsk*

E2M7. It was the most finished and detailed of Tom Hall maps, and for this it could've been one of my favorites. Then, of course, Sandy Petersen stepped in. It seems that this was either his first conversion, or the last one, made during the crunchiest period of the game's development cycle. It's so fucked up. I don't think there's any other map in Ultimate Doom that better illustrates just how rushed E2 and E3 were. So unclean and underpolished.

E4 is fine. It has its own vibe. There was one map in it that was so short and easy it was almost funny, but I don't think it was terrible. Some cute ideas in it. The difficulty curve of the episode as a whole is ridiculous, of course.

Edited by Da Werecat

52 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

Halls of the Damned. Fight me.

I respect you sir, but I must insist you put up your dukes. 

I cannot think of any map in Ultimate Doom as a "bad" map, however I do think that, for example E3M5 is a pretty mazy and remembering which square of teleporters sends you out of the open area is something I'm not a fan of. E4M6 would be, at least personally, more tolerable if there weren't spectres in the first lava pool. Also, I may be one of the few people that think Tower of Babel is not that epic, sure it was a whole experience back then but nowadays it's the laziest boss map ever I could think. Then DIS fails to have a great boss battle if playing in sequence, but at least in pistol start you might have to expose a little bit to some bullets. Regardless, both maps were fantastic in my opinion the first time I played them. 

So, there is no worst map for me, just less enjoyable. 

E2M3... Flat, boring, cramped, pretty exhausting and uninspired. Best thing about it is BROWNWEL. 

Note: E4M1 whooped my ass, even on HMP, so I'll leave out E4.

That being said, my list:

1. E2M5. Ugly-looking, uninteresting maze of corridors.

2. E3M3. Wtf were they trying to do with this map? It's like they completely stopped giving fucks about the Hell theme and decided to do whatever. There's an element of this in all the maps after this, but it's here that's it's the most egregious.

3. E3M5. The maze of teleporters is annoying, but over time my hatred of it has lessened. Maybe because I learnt of the flashing teleporter taking you out of the central courtyard.

4. E3M6. Fugly, confusing, and ultimately feels like pure filler.