Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Quake Champions confirms: the Doom Slayer is original Doomguy

On 8/25/2017 at 5:37 PM, GuyMcBrofist said:

It doesn't look like the doom 3 guy.

Thank god.  I always thought the original model made him look like a pussy.

On 25/08/2017 at 7:37 PM, GuyMcBrofist said:

It doesn't look like the doom 3 guy.

I think it looks pretty much like him

I've never seen that insane perspective of the Doom guy holding a gun in that image @Revenant100 posted. Can someone elaborate on that? Why is so much of the player's body visible in that sprite?

The jaw could definitely be a bit thinner, but other than that, it's Doom3guy. After 10+ years, you're bound to age a bit though.

Who the fuck cares if it's not 1:1 recreation?

42 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

I've never seen that insane perspective of the Doom guy holding a gun in that image @Revenant100 posted. Can someone elaborate on that? Why is so much of the player's body visible in that sprite?

That's the bayonet's melee attack from the pre-release Doom v0.3 and Doom v0.4 builds.

On 8/25/2017 at 10:39 AM, fraggle said:

That was an interesting read, thanks!

It was pretty shitty of Micro Star to think they could just hoover up a bunch of user-created levels and sell them without 3D Realm's permission, so I'm not surprised it went the way it did.

It is a little scary to think id Software therefore effectively owns every custom map ever released for Doom.  Unless you could argue they were all made for scholarly reasons. "We're just practicing being architects, m'lud!"

3 hours ago, Bauul said:

It was pretty shitty of Micro Star to think they could just hoover up a bunch of user-created levels and sell them without 3D Realm's permission, so I'm not surprised it went the way it did.

Seems like the user-created part had nothing to do with it, though. The fact that a bunch of fans had their work stolen doesn't even seem to have entered into it - just a matter of one company suing another.

On 8/24/2017 at 7:15 PM, Voros said:

100% pure fanservice.

Only thing remaining is Doom64guy to complete the picture.

Don't know how true it is, but rumor has it Doom 2016 is is the Doom 64 marine.

Don't know how true it is, but rumor has it Doom 2016 is is the Doom 64 marine.

Which in turn is the original Doomguy from 1 and 2.

3 hours ago, Voros said:

Which in turn is the original Doomguy from 1 and 2.

its not really either way. they left the story intentionally blank.

the only reason i bring it up is bc in D64,  the marine stays in hell, and seals the portal, and in doom 2016, he awakes, presumably, in hell.

The fact that the Doom 3 guy is also there proves that this is only fan service, not canon, as Doom 3 guy and doomslayer cannot be the same person

Doom 64 takes place after Doom 2, and the protagonist of Doom 64 is apparently the only veteran/survivor of the "DOOM" episodes. Who else is that but Doomguy?

two theories: Doom slayer is Original Doom guy, or He is the Martian that used the soul cube to Push back hell the first time

That's what I mean, all of these are equal possibilities.  It's because of the division of Id software. As you may or may not know, Tom Hall wanted a rich story for Doom, but Jon carmack said no, and since he was programming the thing, his word was law, (waste of a good story, imo) the point is, we only have a half finished story that (presumably) now Bethesda wants finished up.

8 hours ago, Voros said:

Doom 64 takes place after Doom 2, and the protagonist of Doom 64 is apparently the only veteran/survivor of the "DOOM" episodes. Who else is that but Doomguy?

I don't know how "cannon" it is, but there was also crash, phobos, and I think demia? From q3a. It directly stated that they were part of the same mission

Not sure how canon Q3A is, but the Doomguys in there seem to be
1. A angry veteran who experienced Phobos (hence his name "Phobos")
2. A normal marine, who would be known as Doomguy later on.

And Crash being the supposed mentor/instructor of Doomguy (who also seems to have some kind of relationship), so chances are she predates the demon invasion, during the time of Doomguy's training.

I haven't played Q3A other than the demo, mind you. That's just my speculation on things I remember reading about.

2 hours ago, Voros said:

Yeah, that's what I mean. Its all open. They made it that way so that we as the player could assume the role doomguy (my understanding) but in any case I just thought it was a neat parrellel between the two games. 

Now I'm not going to suggest there's some objective way to interpret the different incarnations of Our Hero, but to me id's games don't really have a canon but are rather part of a shared universe, with the programmers and artists being the gods that created it. From that perspective each game could be seen as its own self contained universe, each one a bubble nested inside of an overarching multiverse containing all id property. Quake 3 and Quake Champions serve as realms where different bubbles can converge, while Easter eggs (such as Doom '16's references to Commander Keen and the soul cube) serve to demonstrate that different elements from different bubbles are aware of one another.

I really cant say if Doomguy must be here, I mean, If somebody is going to use it, It cant be allowed to die, hes just the Doom Slayer.

On 29/8/2017 at 8:55 PM, GuyMcBrofist said:

Jig71sH.jpg

YUuR0yS.jpg

I don't buy it.

Well... thats Uhm... they are brothers. 

Picture I quickly threw together to compare the original HUD face with the classic skin (thanks goes to IIRevenant for the DoomGuy skins video).  I didn't do any aspect ratio correction to the HUD face graphic, however.

VjOx1mU.png

Edit:  Used MS Paint to sloppily paste in a smaller, aspect ratio corrected mug graphic (from the Wiki).

dMpONGN.png

Edited by TheUltimateDoomer666

Damn, that's the best 3D version of Classic Doomguy I've ever seen, I really dig it! Every single other one I've seen looked like a fat version of Sylvester Stallone or some shit, really nice to see it done well!

1 hour ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

Picture I quickly threw together to compare the original HUD face with the classic skin (thanks goes to IIRevenant for the DoomGuy skins video).  I didn't do any aspect ratio correction to the HUD face graphic, however.

VjOx1mU.png

Oh my god they really didn't remember to correct for aspect ratio!! I'm freakin out here!!!

And yes the Doomguy's face is meant to be stretched vertically by 20%. This is not up for dispute, it is objective fact https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio