Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skeletonpatch

Doom 3 graphical problems

I recently purchased Doom 3 on Steam as well as the BFG edition so that I could compare the two. The BFG edition ran like shit and I had it refunded. When I try playing Doom 3 it runs fine for a while but eventually (about 20 minutes or half an hour after loading my save file) it starts glitching. The screen starts flickering, demons and view models blink in and out of existance and the game becomes unplayable. I have been unable to find an already existing thread about this topic on Doomworld which is why I am creating this one. The Steam forums offer little to no help on this although there are threads about it there. I have no mods installed and have tried lowering the graphics quality to no avail. Does anyone know what could be causing this and how it may be fixed? My computer runs Windows 8.1 if that helps.

It's an HP Pavilion with a touch screen, from 2015 I think. It has an intel core i3-4005U and intel HD graphics 4400. I have not modified the hardware on this computer (and had to look the specs up, to be honest). I never try to run games that I think will be too hard on it, I feel like I have a good idea of this machine's limits.

18 hours ago, Skeletonpatch said:

intel HD graphics 4400

Problem detected.

Integrated GPUs are almost never good for gaming applications.

I have something like an Intel HD graphics 4000 and it runs. On your card, it should also work. It might be a driver problem or the problem is somewhere else, but it does run with this card. There are also Youtube videos were people recorded themselves playing with this card.

On 9/3/2017 at 3:37 AM, MFG38 said:

Problem detected.

Integrated GPUs are almost never good for gaming applications.

I have 53 games installed on this laptop, ignoring Doom and its sequels/mods (too many of those to count). 48 of these games run smoothly or at least are stable. The 5 that do not are primarily due to shitty optimization (2 of the 5 are Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 and Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith, both are infamous on Steam for being unplayable without excessive tinkering).

The treads I've read on Steam about this issue seem to suggest that the game used to run well on most computers, but after some update it is now messed up for many people the same way it is messed up for me.

I figured that Doomworld would be a better place to look as I would imagine that those able to help me would most likely hang around here.

10 minutes ago, Skeletonpatch said:

I have 53 games installed on this laptop, ignoring Doom and its sequels/mods (too many of those to count). 48 of these games run smoothly or at least are stable. The 5 that do not are primarily due to shitty optimization (2 of the 5 are Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 and Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith, both are infamous on Steam for being unplayable without excessive tinkering).

Doom3 will probably be the only one using OpenGL, and GL 2.1 at that, thus built around tighter specifications that the Intel drivers wont be complying with, making how many games you can run utterly irrelevant.

Be absolutely positive that your drivers are up to date when it comes to these sorts of things, but the 4000 series is old, and a generation behind even when it came out. It wasn't meant for games as it shows.

Just now, Edward850 said:

Doom3 will probably be the only one using OpenGL, and GL 2.1 at that, thus built around tighter specifications that the Intel drivers wont be complying with, making how many games you can run utterly irrelevant.

Be absolutely positive that your drivers are up to date when it comes to these sorts of things, but the 4000 series is old, and a generation behind even when it came out. It wasn't meant for games as it shows.

I was mostly annoyed by the blunt tone I read from @MFG38. I was asking for advice and his post didn't offer any.

I will check my drivers and update them if I need to. Thanks for the suggestion.

Pavilion is supposed to be an entertainment series. I'm still using a pretty old model, it is equipped with Mobility Radeon HD 4530 and I don't remember any glitches in Doom 3. Then again, I also don't remember whether I played Doom 3 extensively, or just launched it for a quick comparison with BFG Edition. I mostly played the latter on this laptop.