Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GeorgeCostanza94

Do you think the Doom Slayer is the same protagonist from the last games?

I don't think so, IMHO. There are some differences I've noticed.

One of them is that Doom Slayer is completely silent, and, unlike Doomguy and Doom3Guy, doesn't make grunting sounds, not even from pain.

Ya, sure. And the thousands of years of Doom Slayer killing demons are the idgames archives.

It's been discussed in countless other threads. While there has been no official confirmation up until the nod in Quake Campions, it's been pretty widely assumed that Doomslayer is the protagonist from the original series all the way up to DOOM 64. He's basically Patches from the SoulsBorne series, if Patches was the player character, and Doom³guy is Pate from DS2, that wannabe who no one remembers :-P .

actually the idea that doomslayer, the marine from doom3, and doomguy are the same character has been referenced a few times in the games. marketing for the bfg edition sayes that the character you play as in doom 3 , ultimate doom, and doom 2 are the same guy. doom rpg (the now unavailable website and the mobile game, and yes the spin offs aside from the master levels are officially cannon) outright states the same thing. quake 3 mentens that doomguy's earth was sold out for power through hell, but the only character known to do that was malcom betreuger. so doom 3 happend first, then the classic games, then doom 64, and apparently whent into an alternate dimension where earth was suffering an energy crisses and uses hell energy to sustain living with a different UAC to boot(DOOM2016).

They are brothers in my heart.

Violent brothers.

Now Doom 3, that guy is just different, not the same as Doomguy and Doomslayer. He is just the Marine. 

lol, the old school doomers that want doom slayer and doom guy to be the same person, will vehemently deny that he is the same as the doom 3 guy, thus throwing quake champion's confirmation out the window.

Ehh, it isn't impossible.  I'm certainly open to the idea he's the same... canon has never been uber-important to the Doom universe, so it is fine with me that the canon in the series is patently absurd.  

As for the wrinkle that is Doom 3 guy, I like the theory that IMX mentioned on his Tumblr recently.  Namely that Doom 3 guy is just some random marine in one of many universes who actually stumbled across remnants of Doomguys past exploits (Hence the ancient Tablet in Doom 3 that shows Doomguy.)  

5 hours ago, FantasmeDel'Esprit54 said:

The answer is probaly yes. The only thing that I can think of that would not make sense is the fact that the Doom Slayer was in hell for Eons. Does time pass differently in Hell?

In my eyes, Hell exists beyond time & space as we know them.  If we accept Hell as the literal biblical lake of fire (...And I personally refuse to accept anything else; as the whole "Future-tech vs. Literal biblical hell magics" is a good chunk of what makes Doom more appealing to me than your average 'Dudes in power-armor shooting Aliens' games) that isn't so hard to accept considering that in our own observable universe, nothing is truly eternal, yet the bible states that Hell is eternal punishment. Full stop.  Not to mention the fact that Doom 2016 outright states that Hell travels between dimensions and swallows them whole, converting them into yet another part of Hell's infinitely vast dominion.  I don't think they can time travel, per se, but I think they can invade different but similar universes at different points in time.  Like they can invade a universe that has an Earth that is still in medieval times, or they can invade a universe that has an Earth that has another super-advanced version of the UAC, if that makes any sense.  I don't think Doomguy would "age" in Hell.  That and the fact that the Praetor suit can literally draw energy from demons says to me he is fundamentally immortal so long as he keeps on killing Demunz or spawn camping in hell.

Edited by MsKaye

2 hours ago, Average said:

Where does Karl Urban fit in?

He's just some marine who exists in a universe/timeline/dimension that Hell found too boring to invade.

In reality human flesh is too frail, too paltry to hold the terrific essence that is Doomguy. So he stood up in the shape and aspect of a man, but his flesh was not flesh; nor the bone, bone; nor blood, blood. He became a blasphemy against all nature, for he caused to live and think and act a basic substance that before had never known the pulse and stir of animate being. Doomguy is for all intent and purpose a humanoid abomination who exists across different realities to keep the "hell" dimension in check. And underneath that environmental combat helmet is the face of Nicolas Cage.

He's got to be the same guy. Aside from the id-approved Quake Champions lore, what was the point of all the hinting in Doom 2016 for if *not* the same person? All that buildup and ambiguity for a donut steel crusader from not-Earth? Come on. 

7 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

He's got to be the same guy. Aside from the id-approved Quake Champions lore, what was the point of all the hinting in Doom 2016 for if *not* the same person? All that buildup and ambiguity for a donut steel crusader from not-Earth? Come on. 

If that's the case, Quake Champions also "confirms" him to be the Doom 3 guy, and that creates problems for old school doomers

7 hours ago, Yhe1 said:

If that's the case, Quake Champions also "confirms" him to be the Doom 3 guy, and that creates problems for old school doomers

Uh...no? The Doom 3 Marine is listed as "Doom Marine" and is clearly indicated to be a different person. Quoth the game:

Recently transferred to Mars, this soldier got more than he asked for when Dr. Bertruger betrayed the UAC. 

It's clearly denominating the Doom 3 guy as a different protagonist. 

8 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Uh...no? The Doom 3 Marine is listed as "Doom Marine" and is clearly indicated to be a different person. Quoth the game:

Recently transferred to Mars, this soldier got more than he asked for when Dr. Bertruger betrayed the UAC. 

It's clearly denominating the Doom 3 guy as a different protagonist. 

And the Original Doom Guy skin is simply called "doom guy"

If he were a different character, why would he be an alt skin for the doomslayer?

Edited by Yhe1

"Doom Guy" is just the name of the skin. The description just reads "The original and iconic armor. It forever changed the world". There's nothing in that sentence that indicates that outfit belongs to a different person, just that it *is* a different outfit. 

21 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

"Doom Guy" is just the name of the skin. The description just reads "The original and iconic armor. It forever changed the world". There's nothing in that sentence that indicates that outfit belongs to a different person, just that it *is* a different outfit. 

If id software's intention is to confirm that Doomslayer is OG Doomguy, they could have made it crystal clear by removing the Doom 3 guy skin, or making him a different playable character altogether. they didn't.

If id wants to confirm anything, they wouldn't have to wait until now. Id just enjoys the fan speculation and keeps everything intentionally vague.

On 9/4/2017 at 8:23 PM, Mr. Freeze said:

Allowing people the possibility of having their own interpretation of who the Doom Slayer is?

Much as I prefer the interpretation of Doom Slayer being OG Doomguy, I'd have preferred that it remained intentionally vague, because other interpretations are interesting too - seems a bit of a buzzkill to go in and basically say: "All of yous who thought Doom Slayer is from an ancient civilization, YOU ARE ALL WRONG, MWAHAHAHAHA!"

You understand the connection is based on more than the classic Doomguy skin, right? The primary bit that currently links the two together is Daisy's rabbit foot being stated as belonging to the Doom Slayer, which is the name of the 2016 protagonist. It clearly states that his pet rabbit was killed during the demonic invasion of Earth. That's the story of Doom and Doom II; there's no invasion of Earth in the 2016 game.

9 hours ago, Quasar said:

You understand the connection is based on more than the classic Doomguy skin, right? The primary bit that currently links the two together is Daisy's rabbit foot being stated as belonging to the Doom Slayer, which is the name of the 2016 protagonist. It clearly states that his pet rabbit was killed during the demonic invasion of Earth. That's the story of Doom and Doom II; there's no invasion of Earth in the 2016 game.

There are evidences both ways. In Doom 2016 you find a stone carving with Doomguy holding the soul cube over the demons, same as the one in Doom 3. The OG Doom guy never used the cube. The Only one that ever used the cube beside Doom 3 marine was the Martian Hero.

Maybe there's not just one Doomguy.

Maybe there is Earth's Doomguy, Hell's Doomguy, Mars' Doomguy and Ancient Doomguy.

Earth's Doomguy is the one who experienced Doom, Doom 2 and Doom 64. Since there isn't any clear information, this Doomguy might have "evolved" into Hell's Doomguy (as stated in the ending of Doom 64, Earth's Doomguy remains Hell).

Hell's Doomguy is the who experienced Doom 2016. Background information states many things, like his relationship with the Night Sentinels, Argent D'Nur's downfall, the battle with the Titan, imprisonment of Doom Slayer etc. but they could all be exaggerated (the Titan battle had been ongoing "for eons" apparently). There's nothing about Earth IIRC. He may or may not be Earth's Doomguy, but his general character is still pretty much unknown.

Mars' Doomguy is an interesting one. This is the one who experienced Doom 3. We don't know much about this, but it's worth noting that the UAC were probably able to cover up this incident. Mars' Doomguy is shown to be traumatised at the end of the game, so for all we know, no one knows where he might be or what state he's in (he was traumatised after all, maybe he's a vegetable now, maybe he's an old man on a wheelchair with Alzheimer's, dementia, weak bones, and everything else old age can do.). Another thing worth mentioning: the Soul Cube. In the ending, a guard takes the Soul Cube. This could explain why the Soul Cube is in possession of the UAC/Samuel Hayden. Doom 3 may have occurred simultaneously with Doom 1 and 2.

It's obvious that in Doom 2016, the UAC are very casual about demons and Hell in general. They may have gained this knowledge after the events of Doom 1, Doom 2 and Doom 3. Doom 64 didn't seem very helpful, rather it was more like a finisher/mop-up.

Ancient Doomguy is the ancient hero of the Mars civilisation. There's really nothing to say here on this subject. All we know is Ancient Doomguy first used the Soul Cube to push Hell back. That person could have successfully vacated to Earth or died (I forgot).

The timeline of the Doom events might be:

- Doom 1, Doom 2, Doom 3 (Phobo, Deimos, Earth and Mars)
- Doom 64 (a significant time gap is present between Doom 1/2/3 and 64)
- Doom 2016 (another time gap between 64 and 2016)

TL;DR: There are 4 Doomguys. The ancient hero, the Doom3guy, Doomguy and Doomslayer. Each are in different time periods.

Wow, I really lost track with this post.

2 minutes ago, Voros said:

Maybe there's not just one Doomguy.

Maybe there is Earth's Doomguy, Hell's Doomguy, Mars' Doomguy and Ancient Doomguy.

Earth's Doomguy is the one who experienced Doom, Doom 2 and Doom 64. Since there isn't any clear information, this Doomguy might have "evolved" into Hell's Doomguy (as stated in the ending of Doom 64, Earth's Doomguy remains Hell).

Hell's Doomguy is the who experienced Doom 2016. Background information states many things, like his relationship with the Night Sentinels, Argent D'Nur's downfall, the battle with the Titan, imprisonment of Doom Slayer etc. but they could all be exaggerated (the Titan battle had been ongoing "for eons" apparently). There's nothing about Earth IIRC. He may or may not be Earth's Doomguy, but his general character is still pretty much unknown.

Mars' Doomguy is an interesting one. This is the one who experienced Doom 3. We don't know much about this, but it's worth noting that the UAC were probably able to cover up this incident. Mars' Doomguy is shown to be traumatised at the end of the game, so for all we know, no one knows where he might be or what state he's in (he was traumatised after all, maybe he's a vegetable now, maybe he's an old man on a wheelchair with Alzheimer's, dementia, weak bones, and everything else old age can do.). Another thing worth mentioning: the Soul Cube. In the ending, a guard takes the Soul Cube. This could explain why the Soul Cube is in possession of the UAC/Samuel Hayden. Doom 3 may have occurred simultaneously with Doom 1 and 2.

It's obvious that in Doom 2016, the UAC are very casual about demons and Hell in general. They may have gained this knowledge after the events of Doom 1, Doom 2 and Doom 3. Doom 64 didn't seem very helpful, rather it was more like a finisher/mop-up.

Ancient Doomguy is the ancient hero of the Mars civilisation. There's really nothing to say here on this subject. All we know is Ancient Doomguy first used the Soul Cube to push Hell back. That person could have successfully vacated to Earth or died (I forgot).

The timeline of the Doom events might be:

- Doom 1, Doom 2, Doom 3 (Phobo, Deimos, Earth and Mars)
- Doom 64 (a significant time gap is present between Doom 1/2/3 and 64)
- Doom 2016 (another time gap between 64 and 2016)

TL;DR: There are 4 Doomguys. The ancient hero, the Doom3guy, Doomguy and Doomslayer. Each are in different time periods.

Wow, I really lost track with this post.

How is Doom 64 even canon? it was made by Midway, not id software

I really hope the Doomslayer is DOOMGUY. DOOMGUY is a fkn badass and his face is so iconic. The Doom3guy can stay in his own realm for all I care. 

IMAGINE HOW EPIC IT WOULD BE IF DOOMSLAYER REMOVES HIS MASK AND YOU SEE THE FKN DOOMGUY WITH A NOSE BLEED (70-80% HEALTH). !!!!!

4 hours ago, royaldj said:

I really hope the Doomslayer is DOOMGUY. DOOMGUY is a fkn badass and his face is so iconic. The Doom3guy can stay in his own realm for all I care. 

IMAGINE HOW EPIC IT WOULD BE IF DOOMSLAYER REMOVES HIS MASK AND YOU SEE THE FKN DOOMGUY WITH A NOSE BLEED (70-80% HEALTH). !!!!!

Are you okay buddy?

15 hours ago, MrD!zone said:

Are you okay buddy?

Yes I'm fine, thanks for asking. What are your thoughts on DOOMSLAYER being the CLASSIC DOOMGUY (with 3d assets of course) 

On 9/8/2017 at 11:11 PM, Yhe1 said:

How is Doom 64 even canon? it was made by Midway, not id software

While I can't fully explain how or why I know, I do know first-hand they consider it a full-fledged part of the series :)