Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

How you discovered the Doom series? / Your first time playing Doom?

3 minutes ago, FantasmeDel'Esprit54 said:

PSX Doom. I had a playstation instead of a n64 so Doom 64 did not come about til much later

Thats cool, everytime I heard about old games or consoles I just get so nostalgic. 

Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil on the original XBOX, they also include the two original Doom games in the expansion. And the rest is history.

Doom caught my interest because of the magazine i read a long ass time ago, saying how cool, scary and badass Doom 3 is. I was like... " I need to play this " 

Oh yeah, how silly of me that i played Resurrection of Evil and thinking it's the regular Doom 3 but it's not. While I was playing the whole thing and wondering how come that big demon with the rocket launcher didn't appeared in the game.... Cause i was playing the expansion, lol!

Edited by Chickensoup101

To sum it up,

"Do what you want cause a pirate is free, you are a pirate!"

Bought it a few months later after having snapped.

My entire history with Doom:

-First grade, computer class, somebody brought a few games to play: Dangerous Dave, Diablo, and Doom. I didn't care much for Diablo way back then, me being a super good Christian Boy™ thought it was too demonic for my taste, but for some reason Doom was okay, and I liked Dangerous Dave too. 

-Some time after that someone brought Doom II and Diablo II (no Dangerous Dave sequels though) and enjoyed the sequel, though still not caring about Diablo.

-Years later a Doom movie was made, I liked it a lot way back then and even now I still don't hate it or anything.

-Not long after that I bought and played Doom 3 and its expansion, and while I didn't really like them much I thought it was decent and the movie was a not-bad adaptation of it.

-Several years later (6 or so ago?) I started playing older games because my laptop couldn't play more recent ones, so I played through Doom and Doom II and fell in love with newfound appreciation. I started playing a shitload of mods and learning about the history and impact of the game and soon enough it became my favorite game of all time. This fascination and often replays of the game haven't gone away at all.

-Then Doom 4 was announced, thought the gameplay at first looked like shit, but when I played it I thought it was okay, a lot of problems but it was fun enough and better than 3 for sure, and I'm actually looking forward for the sequel.

-Couple of months ago I decided to look into making mods and wads and while I haven't done much at all (only one map) I'm definitely going to get more into it soon enough.

I must have written it in another thread, but here is what happened in a short order.

I was searching for horror games to play 3-5 years ago, when I found a top 10 horror game list in youtube. It had Doom 3 in it and it said that it was banned in almost 10 countries (don't know if this is true). That fascinated me to a point where I got the game to play it.

I started and I shit my pants. I left the game, respecting the atmosphere of it a lot and I said: "Hey, let's see how Doom 1 and 2 look like!" (I didn't know about Final Doom and Doom 64 yet).

*gets Doom 1*

*plays it*

"WOW!!! Is this game like an arcade? Look at the old graphics! They are still holding up!"

*plays through first level*

"Hey that was fun! Let's play more of it!"

*plays first episode*

"Definitely my favourite game of all time!!! And the soundtrack is cool!!!"

*continues playing until getting stuck at Slough of Despair due to suckiness and leaves the game for a month*

*replays game and finishes it some time later*

"What an epic ending!!!"

"Let's play Doom 2 now"...

The rest is history. Now I know the whole series and I am close to finishing most of the official games, although I still have some work to do.

4 hours ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

I must have written it in another thread, but here is what happened in a short order.

I was searching for horror games to play 3-5 years ago, when I found a top 10 horror game list in youtube. It had Doom 3 in it and it said that it was banned in almost 10 countries (don't know if this is true). That fascinated me to a point where I got the game to play it.

I started and I shit my pants. I left the game, respecting the atmosphere of it a lot and I said: "Hey, let's see how Doom 1 and 2 look like!" (I didn't know about Final Doom and Doom 64 yet).

*gets Doom 1*

*plays it*

"WOW!!! Is this game like an arcade? Look at the old graphics! They are still holding up!"

*plays through first level*

"Hey that was fun! Let's play more of it!"

*plays first episode*

"Definitely my favourite game of all time!!! And the soundtrack is cool!!!"

*continues playing until getting stuck at Slough of Despair due to suckiness and leaves the game for a month*

*replays game and finishes it some time later*

"What an epic ending!!!"

"Let's play Doom 2 now"...

The rest is history. Now I know the whole series and I am close to finishing most of the official games, although I still have some work to do.

Haha, quite a fun story, keep on with the official games! Also, check out the fan-made Wads, there are thousands and some really fun ones.

I've written something like this in another thread, but I can't find it now.

I was introduced to D2 when I was 7 by my cousin in 1995. Back then, I can only play on my cousin's computer. After several months, I finally upgraded my computer from 2MB RAM to 4MB RAM to meet the minimum requirement running Doom. Yes, the unit of the RAM is MB, which is kind of hilarious if you compare to RAM nowadays.

Another memory is that my cousin gave up on Map24 of Doom 2. Then I used like 2~3 hours S/L to finally beat the map. I guess back then the Chasm is one of rage quit map XD

PSX Doom in friends house, somewhere back in 1998! We are also played Final Doom deathmatch/coop with link cable and second PS1. PC Doom I start to play somewhere in middle 00s.

Brutal Doom.

*booing*

*rotten tomatoes thrown*

Learnt about Brutal Doom, bought Doom 1 and 2 on Steam last year, never looked back. Before then I learnt of the Doom series from AVGN, and learnt of Brutal Doom after looking the series up.

Originally from another thread:

A family member bought The Depths of DOOM Trilogy some 15-20 years ago, and I used to enjoy reading the manual from that compilation.  That manual was how I first learned about DOOM.

Amusingly, due to incorrect information in the manual, I used to believe that the Spiderdemon and Cyberdemon only appeared in DOOM II, and I thought that the Cyberdemon was the final boss of DOOM II.  I also assumed that the only "bosses" in DOOM I would be Barons and Cacodemons.

I became very interested in playing DOOM, but I did not yet have my own copy.  Fortunately, I happened to find a shareware version of DOOM95 on a computer magazine disc.  Yes, I experienced the Windows version of DOOM before the DOS version.  The computer's MIDI device was a generic Windows OPL3 synthesizer, and, because I didn't know any better at the time, I assumed that was the "correct" sound of DOOM95's music.

Later, I found a shareware copy of the DOS version on some shovelware CD.  The music was set to Sound Blaster (or Adlib), and due to the Adlib's FM synthesis sounding different from the Windows OPL3 driver's FM synthesis, I assumed that the DOS and Windows versions of DOOM simply used different music files.

Eventually, I was kindly given the 3 discs and manual (the big box is long gone) from the same Depths of DOOM Trilogy I mentioned earlier.  And that's how I played The Ultimate DOOM and DOOM II for the first time (I also had a lot of fun playing terrible Maximum DOOM levels). 

As for DOOM 3, I bought that game in a store on January 28th, 2010.  Its price was AU $17.95.  I didn't actually play the game until sometime later, however, as at the time I did not have a computer that could run it.

On September 30th, 2010, I saw the DOOM Collector's Edition compilation (the DVD Digipak/slipcase version) for sale in the same store that sold DOOM 3.  I bought it for AU $19.95.  That allowed me to play Final DOOM for the first time.

Lastly, I bought DOOM 3 BFG Edition on June 18th, 2013, at EB Games for AU $19.

It wasn't until recently that I got my own complete big box copies of The Ultimate DOOM, DOOM II, Master Levels for DOOM II, Final DOOM, and The Depths of DOOM Trilogy (these were all purchased online).

Edited by TheUltimateDoomer666 : Checked old receipts (I still have them) and added more details to post

6 hours ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

Also, check out the fan-made Wads, there are thousands and some really fun ones.

Yeah, I've been playing some of those too and they can be really fun. Also, got to finish some wads that I started a while back (Scythe 2, Epic 2, Whispers of Satan). I keep starting things without ending them sometimes.

Got the Playstation port of Doom on Christmas 1996 along with the Playstation itself, didnt play it for a month due to the soundtrack scaring the shit out of me to begin with (I was 6 :P) but i quickly got over it as i got PSX Final Doom in April 1997 and Doom 64 a year after.

5 hours ago, davidpicker said:

Hi there, I played Doom when I was 12 in my friends gaming room, but that time I was not having any knowledge about video games. Now I don't prefer to use PS4. I am planning to buy new games for my gaming PC. While searching online I came across https://www.instant-gaming.com/de/186-buy-key-grand-theft-auto-v/. Any idea?

Play Doom better, believe, you dont wanna find out the MP of GTA. 

2 hours ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

Originally from another thread:

A family member bought The Depths of DOOM Trilogy some 15-20 years ago, and I used to enjoy reading the manual from that compilation.  That manual was how I first learned about DOOM.

Amusingly, due to incorrect information in the manual, I used to believe that the Spiderdemon and Cyberdemon only appeared in DOOM II, and I thought that the Cyberdemon was the final boss of DOOM II.  I also assumed that the only "bosses" in DOOM I would be Barons and Cacodemons.

I became very interested in playing DOOM, but I did not yet have my own copy.  Fortunately, I happened to find a shareware version of DOOM95 on a computer magazine disc.  Yes, I experienced the Windows version of DOOM before the DOS version.  The computer's MIDI device was a generic Windows OPL3 synthesizer, and, because I didn't know any better at the time, I assumed that was the "correct" sound of DOOM95's music.

Later, I found a shareware copy of the DOS version on some shovelware CD.  The music was set to Sound Blaster (or Adlib), and due to the Adlib's FM synthesis sounding different from the Windows OPL3 driver's FM synthesis, I assumed that the DOS and Windows versions of DOOM simply used different music files.

Eventually, I was kindly given the 3 discs and manual (the big box is long gone) from the same Depths of DOOM Trilogy I mentioned earlier.  And that's how I played The Ultimate DOOM and DOOM II for the first time (I also had a lot of fun playing terrible Maximum DOOM levels). 

As for DOOM 3, I bought that game in a store on January 28th, 2010.  Its price was AU $17.95.  I didn't actually play the game until sometime later, however, as at the time I did not have a computer that could run it.

On September 30th, 2010, I saw the DOOM Collector's Edition compilation (the DVD Digipak/slipcase version) for sale in the same store that sold DOOM 3.  I bought it for AU $19.95.  That allowed me to play Final DOOM for the first time.

Lastly, I bought DOOM 3 BFG Edition on June 18th, 2013, at EB Games for AU $19.

It wasn't until recently that I got my own complete big box copies of The Ultimate DOOM, DOOM II, Master Levels for DOOM II, Final DOOM, and The Depths of DOOM Trilogy (these were all purchased online).

Whoa! You may not be such an old Doomer, but I can tell, thats a sweet Collection you must have! 

3 hours ago, riderr3 said:

PSX Doom in friends house, somewhere back in 1998! We are also played Final Doom deathmatch/coop with link cable and second PS1. PC Doom I start to play somewhere in middle 00s.

Ah, the memories, such a nice way to travel between time, good for you to have started with the PSX! 

McDonald's hosted birthday party around 1994. This was at a downtown restaurant also housing their administrative HQ, so they took us on a tour around the offices. I managed to get separated the group wandering off on my own, entered an empty office room with a computer on, and sure enough, that computer was running Doom.

I was 6-8 years old. My dad was playing Doom 1 on our PC in the living room. He wouldn't let me play(because of violence)...So when he wasn't around I read the manuals, learned DOS just so I could open the game and played anyways.....good times. I got caught because I screamed on a dark part in a level. I don't remember which one.

Once I learned DOS. I was playing Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein, and ROTT like everyday for years.....and years.

I have no memory of when I learned the cheats though.

3 minutes ago, DemonusDefunctus said:

I got caught because I screamed on a dark part in a level.

Dark parts? E1m2 or E1m3 much? XD

1 minute ago, Chickensoup101 said:

Lol. Like I said though I have no idea. The lights were off and monsters were making sounds....and it was NOT cool. gave for a while.

I was looking for new games and found this (the original place where I found it). It was the shareware version of Doom (v1.2) and I kept playing episode 1 over and over again. I found a copy of DOOM.WAD somewhere else and put it into my Doom folder. I was playing the version 1.9 WAD from Ultimate Doom with the 1.2 engine. I kept playing over and over again. There was no better game. My PC was old, so I could play 3D with 3D acceleration. I found Doom 2 v1.666 on another website, but I later bought the collector edition CD and played Doom 95, it was the first time I played Final Doom. I played Doom 95 for years before I discovered ZDoom.

2 hours ago, Chickensoup101 said:

Well, old vanilla Doom was quite dark somethimes :P In Doom II map 5 is pretty dark.