Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
8Bit Shocker

Music looks for a WAD

Hi all,
I'd really like to collaborate in makin' WADs as a composer. I love chiptunes, midi and 8 bit, so this is what I specialize in. If u think spooky, aggressive or any kind of 8 Bit music would suit your WAD let me know. I'm ain't no Robert Prince, but I try to do my best.
Here's example of my work:

Try it with some MIDI original works, chiptune is awesome, but MIDI fits Doom really well! 

I'd say have an archive of your tracks and have copies of the MIDI in there was well.

45 minutes ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

Try it with some MIDI original works, chiptune is awesome, but MIDI fits Doom really well! 

36 minutes ago, Glaice said:

I'd say have an archive of your tracks and have copies of the MIDI in there was well.

Damn, I didn't know that u can add pure midi files to wad. I always thought music for Doom was written as a midi and then post produced and not applied in the game as midi. All my life was a lie.
But to be serious that's some great news. I got all my tracks also as a midi files and I'm able to create them.

1 minute ago, 8Bit Shocker said:

Damn, I didn't know that u can add pure midi files to wad. I always thought music for Doom was written as a midi and then post produced and not applied in the game as midi. All my life was a lie.
But to be serious that's some great news. I got all my tracks also as a midi files and I'm able to create them.

Haha! Noo, I think you are right, I was just saying MIDI fits better in Doom than Chiptune :P

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/MIDI This could help you.

As I understand it, the Doom mus format is basically midi with a constant speed of 70. Slade should be able to convert it for you, if you want it to be vanilla compatible.

These are some cool chiptunes, but I'd be real interested to hear some of your stuff without the use of GXSCC, do you have any base MIDI files?

2 hours ago, Neo Te-Aika said:

These are some cool chiptunes, but I'd be real interested to hear some of your stuff without the use of GXSCC, do you have any base MIDI files?

Yep, I have all the MIDI files with possibility to edit them. 

@8Bit Shocker, welcome to Doomworld! 

As it happens I'm working on a map currently for Nova III, and I would be interested in collaborating with you. If you want to check out the Nova III thread (its called Nova III - The search for more maps!) you can see what its about. Its designed for new map makers in the community to come together and design a megawad. We have 21 maps already I believe, so the project is coming along nicely. 

My own map is in the early stages, so its not ready to be viewed yet, but I can give you a run down on the theme I'm going for. I have a few ideas in terms of music, but it would be cool to have your input. As Nova is designed for newer mappers, it may be a good place to contribute. There is an Alpha version available if you want to check out some of the earlier maps. The quality this year for Nova III is really good.           

1 hour ago, Relinquished said:

@8Bit Shocker, welcome to Doomworld! 

As it happens I'm working on a map currently for Nova III, and I would be interested in collaborating with you.

That would be great. I will send you some questions in a private massage about details. 

7 hours ago, Empyre said:

As I understand it, the Doom mus format is basically midi with a constant speed of 70. Slade should be able to convert it for you, if you want it to be vanilla compatible.

you should not do this. MIDI files are perfectly playable in vanilla doom since version 1.5 (which was releases back in 1994). converting a MIDI file to MUS does a lot of things that butchers it that are all perfectly avoidable, because vanilla doom can play midi files with no problem at all, due to it internally converting MIDI files into MUS when playing them back. the only thing you do need to keep in mind is that the MIDI file plays back properly in vanilla by testing them.

there's zero reason to use MUS these days.

12 hours ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

you should not do this. MIDI files are perfectly playable in vanilla doom since version 1.5 (which was releases back in 1994). converting a MIDI file to MUS does a lot of things that butchers it that are all perfectly avoidable, because vanilla doom can play midi files with no problem at all, due to it internally converting MIDI files into MUS when playing them back. the only thing you do need to keep in mind is that the MIDI file plays back properly in vanilla by testing them.

there's zero reason to use MUS these days.

I didn't know that vanilla Doom could play MIDI. There is one reason I can think of to use MUS. I am using some songs from heroes2.wad (with permission granted in heroes2.txt) that are already in the MUS format, and they sound awesome. Is there anything to be gained from converting them to MIDI?