Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
genericpainelemental

i have a problem with the wad i made

i made a wad with doom builder 2 and for some reason it won't work no matter what i do to it

i think it's because when i first made it it's name wasn't map01 anyone know how to fix this?

(also it would be nice to get a simple answer since I've asked this question on other places and sites and yet all of the answers have been too complicated for me to understand since im very new to making wads in general)

What format do you use for map? In which program you test your wad? Do you use Doom or Doom II wad? That's important, because it's unclear for me. 

Did you include player start? If map wasn't in map01 slot, which slot you used for your map?

Drop your map here, maybe problem is small. If you still have it. I'll check what's wrong with it. 

Yeah, post your map link here and I'll download it and check with gzdoom builder what's wrong with it and tell you what you can fix or change.

1 hour ago, genericpainelemental said:

i think it's because when i first made it it's name wasn't map01 anyone know how to fix this?

Save your map with the name MAP01 and be done with it. Check "Map options" for that, because that's probably where that should be.

Other than that, you might be able to play the map by launching it via the command line, and instead of the "-warp xx" command you can use "+map 'your_map_name_here'"

1 hour ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Yeah, post your map link here and I'll download it and check with gzdoom builder what's wrong with it and tell you what you can fix or change.

GZDB won't tell anybody anything when the issue is that the map has a name which does not correspond to the usual map slots. If I'm not entirely mistaken, there needs to be a mapinfo lump included in the wad/pk3 in order for the map to be played as a map01 replacement, but don't quote me on that.

Considering that map is zdoom in doom fomat and mapper is still new, his map should be basic without any advanced lumps. Well, if your solution will work for him, that's good for him. 

Anyway, try change builder and see if problem still here.

the map options thing doesn't work because when i load the map the editor acts like the map isn't inserted

im gonna try to load map name thing and i have no idea how to post my wad.

So, what you're telling me is that, when you open your editor and load the wad you have been working on, there is no content to be found anywhere?

you know what? Zip the map, upload here, I'll have a look...

If you're pretty new to mapping, than first try out the vanilla doom format (I forgot the name).

As for the WAD, how many "lumps" are inside the WAD? A lump is a single entry of the WAD eg

MAP01
TEXTMAP
ZNODES
ENDMAP

are 4 lumps in a single WAD.

It seems that you've messed it up big time, SLADE won't even open the WAD as it seems to be corrupt.

EDIT: XWE will open it, however all the lump names and sizes are garbage.

BASICALLY try starting over

1 hour ago, bzzrak said:

It seems that you've messed it up big time, SLADE won't even open the WAD as it seems to be corrupt.

yup... SLADE gives me the exact same result, and doombuilder 2 shows nothing at all, no matter the format I choose...

i WR19 Reading WAD wadis.wad:	(11 entries)
i ID10 PWAD entry identification...
B WR33 WadSk>

There's something definitely wrong wih your WAD.

well it was made with doom builder 2 and as for the wad being corrupt i guess that just my luck if there's nothing i can do i'll try to remake it.

okay, let's keep this short: Whatever it was that you did (which usually has little to do with being lucky or not) it messed up the wad to a high enough degree that it's probably easier to start over, instead of trying to salvage something out of that data-wreckage.

Next time, if the map is supposed to be in slot 01, call the map "MAP01", and unless you know what it is that you're doing, stay away from any advanced shenanigans and get the basics down before messing with anything else.

And, don't just map away and do stuff, read a mapping tutorial first.

void WADRseek(struct WADINFO *info, int32_t position)
{
   long ofs;
   if (!(info->ok & WADR_RDWR))
       Bug("WR31", "WadSk");
   ofs = ftell(info->fd);
   if (position > info->maxpos)
       Bug("WR33", "WadSk>");
   if (fseek(info->fd, position, SEEK_SET))
       ProgError("WR35", "%s: Can't seek to %06lXh (%s)",
                 fnameofs(info->filename, ofs), (unsigned long) position,
                 strerror(errno));
}

I haven't gotten into this part of the code of Deutex, but your WAD seems to have an error related to read-write permissions (I need to look into it). So, yeah. It's probably gone corrupt.

25 minutes ago, Voros said:

I haven't gotten into this part of the code of Deutex, but your WAD seems to have an error related to read-write permissions (I need to look into it). So, yeah. It's probably gone corrupt.

Just looking at the error message and the code you posted, it certainly isn't related to read-write permissions, it just tries to access data beyond the wad's size, most likely because other data in the wad say that data should be there, which is a clear sign of corruption, yes.

Like I said, I haven't gotten into this part of the code yet, but it definitely is corrupted.

I'm actually interested as to how it got corrupted. I've heard of reports where keeping a WAD open in DB and Slade tends to corrupt the WAD, or something of the sort.

What do you mean by "I haven't gotten into this part of the code yet"? You don't need to look at anything else than the texts you already posted to figure out what I figured out.

Yes, editing a file in multiple programs at the same time corrupts it if changes are made and saved to it in more than 1 program.