Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rehelekretep

Let's settle this: what is a 'teleport trap'?

'Teleport trap'?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is a 'teleport trap'?

• A trap where the player is teleported into danger
    • A trap where monsters are teleported to/around the player
    • Both of the above

A teleport trap is a trap that involves unexpected* teleportation, so both "player gets suddenly teleported" and "monsters are suddenly teleported" fit that broad definition.

It's when you're trapped in a series of teleporters. One is leading to the next and it's an endless cycle.

Same as NIH said, teleporting to a sector or area where you'll be at danger no matter what.

The poll needs one more option: both

A teleport trap can be anything related to

a) teleporting one or more things to the player/teleporting the player

b) putting the player in danger as a result of the teleporting of the thing/things

A player walks towards a blue key, but then teleport. All of a sudden into a room full of imps.

A player walks into a room and suddenly monsters start teleporting into the room unexpectedly.

Both of these are teleporter traps, as the mapper chose to use the teleports for endangering the player along with/and not safely teleporting the player from one room to another.

"Teleport Trap": Semantics suggest that this is simply a trap that involves a teleport. My vote would be for both situations.

From my perspective, they are both the same, with just the mechanics being different.

Going with A. A "trap" implies trapping the player into an area with a threat. Surrounding him/her with monsters doesn't always fit the bill.

When I read "teleport trap" I think of both "monsters teleporting in your room after you pass a linedef(s)" and/or "suddenly (or not) teleport in a room with monsters". Both can also be ambush traps, or not, maybe you teleport in somewhere with just two Imps by your sides, or a group of Hell Knights. In many situations, to be considered an actual trap per se (whether you predicted it or not), you get locked in with no way to out or some tricky way like a lift guarded by archviles, or a baron on a teleport pad, or a vent archie-jump only. Otherwise, if you still can, for example, easily open the door where you came in, skipping the enemies, there is no trap there IMO. 

2 hours ago, Gez said:

A teleport trap is a trap that involves unexpected* teleportation, so both "player gets suddenly teleported" and "monsters are suddenly teleported" fit that broad definition.

ooh i missed that 3rd option >.<

ive added a both option.

to the 'both' camp - what would you call a player teleported trap, versus a monster teleported trap?

player-teleport trap/monster-teleport trap?

yeah both fit the vague term of "teleporter trap" to me. Specifying them with player and monster to be more clear seems reasonable.

A hot-teleport, much like a hot-start places the player in the firing line from the instant they appear.

A teleport ambush is where the monsters come to you. I'm not sold on ambush because that imoles you didn't expect it. Arena fights often telegraph very well that they are going to teleport a shit load of baddies in.

Hm. Hard to define in a couple of words.

I will say both of the above is the right thing, although previously whenever I heard "teleport trap", I considered it to be a moment when monsters teleport near the player.

Well, I think is a ''Teleport where the player is sent into a hazardous place, full of enemies or any other danger.'' 

So now, whats a Teleport Frag?