Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CoTeCiO

Is it possible to change sound effects on PSX Doom?

Hey! I've been playing around with the PSX version of Doom for a while and I became interested on modifying certain things from it. I painstakingly managed to edit the THINGS lump from a couple of maps to give the "nightmare" flag to monsters other than the Demon. When trying to do this, I realized that editing tools for this port are very scarce and broken (the only tool I could find to edit maps and compress WAD files was PSXMAKE and I still can't get it to compress a WAD file properly, I read about another compressor, LMPZSS, but no luck so far finding a working link to it).

Anyway, I wanted to try playing the port using the classic sound effects instead of the new ones, but so far I've found no way to replace the sounds. I know there are general SFXs in the DOOMSFX.LCD file and more specific sounds in cache files for each map, but so far I haven't found a way to actually modify these files, just to convert the sounds to WAV format (not even extract them in whatever original format they are, XA maybe?). Furthermore, I haven't found any thread about someone trying to pull this off before, so I might be going into unknown territory with this. I think that if maybe, someone out there know about the structure of LCD files and the actual format the audio files are in, it could be possible to edit them via hex editing (which is what I did to insert the modified THINGS lumps I edited on the WAD files).

In a beginning I was planning on doing more ambitious stuff like porting Hell Keep to the PSX, but the difficulty of editing the maps and the tedious process of actually testing the changes made me abandon the idea. I know about the TC and the lost levels addon, but I wanted to actually burn a CD with the modified PSX Doom and play it in the actual console.

Any help would be welcome!

You would have to encode them as ADPCM. While we have a decoder, I don't think anyone's written a corresponding encoder. Also, unless your PSX has a hardware mod chip, you won't be able to boot burned CDs.

6 hours ago, Quasar said:

You would have to encode them as ADPCM. While we have a decoder, I don't think anyone's written a corresponding encoder. Also, unless your PSX has a hardware mod chip, you won't be able to boot burned CDs.

Oh, so I all out of luck then? I still can't find anything specific about the audio from the game It would help if I could extract the audio streams without converting them, so I can compare the extracted files to the LCD file, assuming LCD files are not compressed. I have a modded PSX so booting recorded CDs is no problem.