Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

The pack of cigarettes that saved the world from nuclear annihilation in 2005

Something just occurred to me. You need the cigarettes to see the lethal lasers in Metal Gear Solid 1 in order to progress. Remember that Snake had to smuggle them in his stomach, they didn't permit him to take them with him.

So what if Snake wasn't able to smuggle them? Game over for the whole world?

remember kids tobacco smoke saves lives

McGyver taught me how to smoke and see lasers with the smoke on his second episode. Every hero needs a flaw.

As silly and unrelated to anything this thread is, I'm glad I read it.

Roger Wilco also uses smoke from a cigar butt to see the lasers guarding the entrance to the Supercomputer in Space Quest XII. So that's another example of how cigarettes saved the world (well, the fictional planet of Xenon)

57 minutes ago, fraggle said:

Roger Wilco also uses smoke from a cigar butt to see the lasers guarding the entrance to the Supercomputer in Space Quest XII. So that's another example of how cigarettes saved the world (well, the fictional planet of Xenon)

I've always been amused by how old science fiction writers assumed everyone in the future was still going to be smoking all the time (versus the current trend in the US at least where smoking is on the decline - and while I despise the nanny state practices and anti-smoking propaganda, this is actually a good thing overall.) Granted they also assumed we'd still be using analog computers (is that the right term?) and nuclear power for everything too.

On topic: when Xander Cage was pinned down by that chainsmoking sniper in XXX, he was able to use the heat off the cigarette to send a heat seeking missile and take out the sniper, thus allowing him to get away and save the world. So the theory stands: smoking saves the world.

I've heard in the next MGS there will be a callback to it (or reference, if you prefer), but snake will be smoking weed to see not only the lasers, but also all the layers of the story at once.