Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Springy

Blasphemer discussion

Cacowad said:

how does the palette work here? Or better expressed: i would like to include Da Werecat new palette, playpal, colormap and tinttab, since the old ones were broken, BUT i don't understand how it work inside the repository: does deutex generate some of them? why some are in .LMP form? should the palette be in the empty heretic.wad (as i see there is a palette duplicate in there)? What is that blasphemer_palette_v2.GPL file i see in the main folder? There is a lot of stuff laying around that i don't understand and would like to know or not touch them if possible.

1. Take Da Werecat's playpal.lmp, colormap.lmp and tinttab.lmp, and put them in the lumps folder.

2. Deutex doesn't generate anything really, other the WAD out of the assets you supplied it with. The only thing that's being generated here is sndcurve.lmp via Python script.

3. LMP files are simply lumps. Usually they aren't normal multimedia files like pictures, images, audio, etc. Only Deutex (and other lump readers) can properly read them.

4. Yes keep the empty heretic.wad with a pallete, deutex uses this as the IWAD for building other P/IWADs

5. My hunch on that file: it's some kind of Gimp related config file for limiting the color usage to the pallete only, or something. I just know it's Gimp related and Deutex doesn't need it (I'm sure people do though)

BTW, you should've lowercased all the filenames, because now, you've got extra unnecessary files in your repo.

Just to clarify this, i just convert them using slade to .lmp files and then put them in (since Da werecat provided the actual .raw files)? Also could you please point me to the "extra unnecessary files" you found? despite the ugliness of having both files in lowercase and uppercase there should not be any duplicates whatsoever.

Yeah, that should do it. As long as the output is a lmp file.

Looks I was mistaken. There aren't any extra files, although things look very messy, the filenames being a mixture of lowercase and capital letters and all that. I guess it made things look like there are duplicates on the repo. It's a bit confusing.

The raw files should already be in the correct format - that's how I save color tables from Photoshop. I left the extensions because I assumed they don't really matter.

@Da Werecat: Nice, since there should not be any problem, i committed them with the .lmp extension to the repository.

Regarding the uppercased files... I lowercased then using a script, but unfortunately github does not recognise this change, since it isn't case sensitive. Gave a look around stack overflow and it appear that the only thing i can do is to remove everything that has to be changed from the repository and reupload it. This is obviously asinine, and i am really not willing to rename them one by one manually (we are talking about 1200+ files here). In the meantime i'll do some more research, and if nothing shows up i will do as said before.

EDIT: It was ugly, but now everything is in order: there are no more uppercase stuff in the repository.

This also mean that the experimental branch is officially fully ready and usable.
Nevermind, the wadinfo file for deutex needs to be updated first. I'm currently working on it.

To-DO list:
-I need to see how Freedoom manage it's deathmatch mapset so i can prepare for the "Death match preparation" milestone and eventually the "Death match ready" milestone.

-Update the wiki and the various credits files.

EDIT2: Status report:
-Bigprojectalone "jade talons" needs to be smaller, since they are more than 509 pixel tall, which is the maximum height deutex can handle.
-I'll post an update once everything is ready to go.

Even if you upload the lowercased ones, the uppercased named files will still be present in the repo. One way or another, you will have to remove those files from the repo if you want it to not look cluttered, probably by reverting the commits that directly handled the files.

Look at this way. Instead of thinking of all the files at once, think of it seperately eg pretend you only have to rename the level files, then the patches, then the flats, etc and next thing you know, the problem's gone.

Aim small, reach high. Always helped me get big things done.

Edit: related to Deathmatch map thing:
What's the dmxx WADs for? Or are you plannig to make another IWAD alongside Blasphemer? If so, you can take the easy route and just make a copy of wadinfo.txt and edit the [levels] section to include dmxx maps only.

Sorry but can anyone tell me if the new IRC channel was put into place? I have some time free at long last to actually contribute a bit more time to Doom related projects now seeing as I am very near graduation.

@Voros: i'm mimicking the way Freedoom handle it's death match components, so yeah, i'm doing as you said, trowing the levels needed for it in the dm(episode #)(map #).wad format and creating a copy of the wadinfo.txt as blasphdm.txt.

@Springy: welcome back and cheers for your incoming graduation! i didn't knew about the new IRC, but i didn't used a lot the old one either... I'm now logging into #blasphemer if you need me.

Uhh, i think i am on either the odamex or zandronum one?... i have no idea, i'm trying to connect to the quake net irc network, but i may take a little bit to reach you.

I think this is the first post here after the new forum design.

So, @Cacowad, what do you think about having Crispy Heretic as target for Blasphemer instead of Heretic+?

I've not tested the port yet, but if it runs without dosbox it is already an improvement.

And the community project started by Hexenmapper could be helpful for Blasphemer too, people can eventually donate maps to this project.

I quickly run through the current build using Crispy, and it run flawlessly everything (even that massive beast that is the current e2m8). I do belive that it may be a suitable replacement, i just need the time to reasearch eventual bugs/inaccuracies/quirks and it is settled.

About the project: Hey, i'm super-ok with that if someone what to, but i don't hold hight hopes since we had a similar discussion about HYMN a while back.

It is so strange to me: I would be very excited at the idea of contributing to a stand alone, doom engine based, fantasy fps...

...I was under the impression that the Heretic, Hexen, and Strife parts of Crispy Doom are unmaintained. I wouldn't settle on prioritizing that port for that reason.

As a matter of fact, it is, but is the most convenient thing to test limit removing without heretic+ at the moment. i'm currently investigating some differences that i found (when compared to zdoom) that may be a deal breaker for it (gasbags getting stuck on wall at spawn and wind currents not properly working, to name them). I need a little more time to pump out a proper test wad and do the appropriate testings.

On 22.8.2017 at 7:17 PM, Danfun64 said:

...I was under the impression that the Heretic, Hexen, and Strife parts of Crispy Doom are unmaintained.

They are, but it is (still) easy to re-enable them again. I am just looking for someone to step up as a reliable maintainer.

@MrD!zone  Humm, this is something that i didn't considered, i can't find any old link around.

I tried to compile the old repository using deutex 5.1.0, but it stops when encountering  an unknown file format (like half of the old placeholders sounds) and i can't find  way to override that error. Since i changed my laptop recently, i will need to set up dosbox and use an older verion of deutex...

On 4/22/2015 at 7:42 PM, raymoohawk said:

here are two more concepts that may be useful

champion_lizard_concept_by_raymoohawk-d8
fredrik_s_ganesha_by_raymoohawk-d8qhsit.

the lizard is in heretic pallete and the elephant in doom pallete, but i could change them to the proper one, i could also the changes for them to fit into whatever theme is chosen of course

That smiling lizard guy's head looks so nice and friendly.

You can find the old versions of Blasphemer here: https://github.com/Blasphemer/blasphemer/wiki/Old-versions

No, not really.

Edited by Voros

It's empty. At least, I don't see anything in that link.

Edited by Voros