Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KevvyLava

Knee-Deep In The Dead 2.0

Hi all.  I spent a bunch of time thoughtfully editing Doom: Knee-Deep In The Dead to include:

- Monsters from the rest of Doom 1

- Some monsters from Doom 2

- Weapons from the rest of Doom 1/2

- Some new secrets

- A less plentiful disbursement of weaponry

- Some slightly re-imagined sections in the spirit of the original

- Some silent teleporting monsters so you always have to watch your back

- Some minor usage of new linedefs

- A few minor uses of 3D floors to create some new effecst

- Different music selections from Doom 1/2

- Most rocket launchers and plasma rifles are hidden

- DON'T HATE ON ME IF YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT I ATTEMPTED ON MAP08. I PROMISE I'M A NICE GUY.

Keep a close eye out for new secrets.  It's all mostly the same, but I've play-tested it a lot and there are some fun new challenges.  Also, the levels tend to be set up so that you have to actually check out the whole map to get everything.  I hope it brings a few of you that original feeling we got when we didn't know what was around the corner like when we were kids.  Every level is beatable starting with a pistol.  Hope you like the original shotgun, because you're about to be re-acquainted with it while fighting tougher enemies. :D

P.S.  I still don't know how to integrate Doom 1 textures into a Doom 2 PWAD using XWE, so you have to load both of the WAD's I included.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

RE: RE: Fixed download link.  Thanks to all who helped.  This one removes the SS guys I randomly included for fun.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/65p3f33m4p8mt1n/KDITD2.zip

Edited by KevvyLava

The link doesn't work, and definitely you need some more detailed description, and please refer to pinned post call "New to posting maps? Read this first!".

It worked yesterday...must be a problem with Doomshack.  Here's a new link: (link removed for iwad inclusion)

There's a detailed description in the text file.  Just load both WAD's, it's MAP01 - MAP08, and turn off crouching and jumping.

While I do give you A for effort on these edited Episode 1 maps, this sort of thing has been done to death since 1994.

Cool! Knee-Deep In The Dead is my favourite episode, but it definitely could use a difficulty overhaul.

What do you mean by "A less plentiful disbursement of weaponry", though?

EDIT: Why is there a SS Nazi in E1M1?

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

5 minutes ago, Glaice said:

Hey @KevvyLava, there's a bunch of unmodified resources inside the WAD file, including sounds, graphics, music, etc. I have culled out the unnecessary entries and uploaded a clean version for you: http://www.mediafire.com/file/3qyv6v226hs8b88/KDITD2.zip

I also removed the SS Nazi from MAP01 and replaced him with a former sergeant.

Thank you for doing this. I'm going to remove the link from the OP and redirect to here.

The only thing it needs that I forgot to do was replacing INTERPIC with E1 intermission graphic and the level names.

This set reminds me of my Maps of Chaos but for ZDoom based engines.

Edited by Glaice

It seems SS Nazis also appear on later maps. I mean, I really like what you have done with the episode so far, but why would you add this type of enemy to non-secret levels?

Made it to E1M2. Love the tweaks and additions you made to make the map feel new and exciting; I even got genuinely scared by an unexpected encounter in the dark labyrinth section of the map.

However, I really do not think invulnerability spheres are needed in the first two maps. Near the end, if you run back to room with the three balconies and the elevator, the Pinkies cannot follow you, like there is some sort of invisible barrier that prevents them from entering the room.

Thank you to all that helped me with the file.  I was unaware that it would cause any problems.  I can remove the Wolfenstein guys.  There is 1 in MAP01, 2 in MAP02, etc.  I got the idea from Police Squad! where they had Frank Drebin hit 1 trash can with his car in episode 1, 2 in episode 2, etc.  I can see that it might have seemed too gimmicky.  Here's an update that removes the SS guys using the most recent file on the chain:

Thank you all again.  I should have edited the lives manually rather than starting based off of the IWAD.

And Johnny, the invulnerability spheres weren't supposed to be a huge help...just some fun little secret powerups for the heck of it.  It gets much harder in later maps and the powerups are more important.  And the Pinkies are blocked by a linedef.  Like I said, it gets tougher later.

P.S. Weird request, but would anyone be willing to give me a tutorial on how to mess around with the details of a WAD?  I'll pay you a few bucks to walk me through it either by livestream, by YouTube, or by phone.

Just posting to clarify that the Doomshack uploader is working fine, the file was just removed for all the unedited iwad resources. Feel free to use the uploader again in future, files are only removed if there's copyright issues and such, anything else is totally fine

Another thing you could do is setting the monster teleport rooms before they are active is to set them to hidden so one can't see the small sector connecting to it.

I didn't really like the "buildup" circular areas before going to the final region on MAP08, plus I found additional SS Nazis throughout the the remainder of the map pack (this was an earlier version when first uploaded, so the latter may not apply.)

Edited by Glaice

This wad is really nice so far. I actually tested it on PrBoom+ and it seems to run just fine. Has anybody tried to play this wad with PrBoom+?

Spoilers for those that have not played through this WAD

KevvyLava, I played through the entire wad in one sitting, and here's what I think:

It's really good :) I have played many Ep1 recreations over the years and the problem I have with all of them is that they are so drastically different with too many added new areas and such that they're not recognizable anymore. You did a good job restraining yourself and keeping the maps the same whilst changing the directions and rhythms of the gameplay. That made it fresh and unpredictable. I like that monsters just appear out of nowhere when you revisit already cleared areas. I like that this WAD is made for veterans of Ep1, because what used to be considered secrets are now a necessity for beating the game. Our knowledge of these maps are really tested to the limit. I didn't mind the SS guys, but yeah, they did look a bit out of place. Maybe you should've added a secret Wolfenstien room or something.

Now for the complaints: The weapon layout is a bit of a problem, I was almost near the end of the WAD before finally running into a rocket launcher. At that point, I had already picked up several Plasma rifles and maxed out my rockets before I was able to even use them. I played this on easy and it was still pretty darn hard and the Rocket Launcher would've been great in those tight situations. The double shotgun also came in pretty late, I think it was Map05 when I found one. I mean, its fine having weapons come in later...if the heavier enemies come in later as well, but if I had to face a Spider Mastermind in Map04 before getting a double barrel and rocket launcher, it does make me feel very ill-equipped. Trying to take down the heavier monsters with a chaingun and normal shotgun takes forever. Especially when one runs out of plasma cells.

Which brings me to my next point: There is no difference between easy, medium and hard. You need to reduce the amount of monsters in the easier difficulties. Now don't get me wrong, I like Ultra-Violence as much as the next doom fan but even easy mode made me come close to death. Oh, and one more thing, there was one place where I did die: Near the end with the many Arch-viles in the pitch black darkness. That was literally the only room that I hated because not being able to see where there was cover, and being surrounded by enemies that only need to have you in their line of sight in order to kill you...is just plain sadistic.

But really, this was still a good recreation of Knee-Deep in the Dead, in fact, the best one in my opinion. I know I spent a long time criticizing your WAD but I really mean it when I say that this was very well put together. And even though some people say that this concept has been done to death, I however think that it is worth the play. Great job, KevvyLava! ;)

Edited by DASI-I

Not sure what happened on that last post (apparently I struggle with forums, too, haha).

Thanks to all who played.  I did update the file to remove the SS guys.  As for a few of the finer points from y'all, I appreciate that you guys liked the structural changes that I did make.  As for difficulties, I just didn't want to spend the time on it.  As someone indicated, it's for veterans.  It's definitely tough at times, but when you play through it again, you'll find that like the original, you start to remember where stuff is.  Also, in regards to the rocket launcher, there is one in MAP02 (you have to fire at something to lower a lift).  There's also one in MAP06.  You're correct in that the Super Shotgun doesn't appear until MAP05.  I'm going to do a re-edit based on some of these suggestions for fun.  I'm also removing a few teleporting monsters on parts of MAP06 because I think that one is too hard.  Also switched a plasma rifle to a rocket launcher in MAP04.

You aren't supposed to have to kill the Spider Mastermind in the map...the goal was to put the yellow skull on the edge so you could run in and grab it while he was wandering around.  But I suppose that assumes you approach from 1 of the 3 sides he's not facing.  So maybe that's too hard / annoying and a Manacubus or two would have been cooler.  Still would have been a good introduction to them.  And as for the Arch-Vile corridor on MAP08, I simplified it so you can see the "light at the end of the tunnel" from the get-go.  The idea there is to just make a run for it.

OK, so here's the new file, in case anyone wants an ever-so-slightly easier version.  With the changes listed above.  A few less monsters (probably won't notice where), a rocket launcher on MAP04, and a more obvious hint on where to shoot in MAP02 to lower a platform.  Also added a secret with lightamp goggles in MAP05.  Some other slight edits that are of minor consequence.

^ I think it's the same link as above, but I replaced the old file, so it is the newest version.  Have fun, all.

3 minutes ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

Well.  It's awesome! but...

you left me hanging.  Now I need the rest of the game with your "2" versions.  Get to it!

Yeahhhh....haha.  Just started a new job and it's college football season, so I dunno, man! :)

If I did the same thing, it'd just me a combination of levels I like from episodes 2, 3, and 4, and Doom 2.  Although some of those episode 2 and 3 maps could be fun with this sort of idea.  I'll look into it. :D

Glad everyone liked this!

Played the first two levels. The lighting effects on the floor are really nice detail. Here are some of my opinions:

1. Map01 feels too repetitive. Yeah, I know you want to give E1M1 feeling, but totally different progression. I think not having the player going back to the start several times will be nicer.

2. Please don't tag secrets with a really thin area. Otherwise it's a chore to tag them but moving very slowly.

28 minutes ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

You are however missing tags so that it works in PrBoom and the like.  So go back and fix that stuff.  

I don't know what PrBoom is.  What are you talking about?

10 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Played the first two levels. The lighting effects on the floor are really nice detail. Here are some of my opinions:

1. Map01 feels too repetitive. Yeah, I know you want to give E1M1 feeling, but totally different progression. I think not having the player going back to the start several times will be nicer.

2. Please don't tag secrets with a really thin area. Otherwise it's a chore to tag them but moving very slowly.

I tried to take care and not tag thin sectors.  Any specific levels you are referring to?  There is variance in the levels.  And the idea I wanted to introduce by backtracking was the lit-up floor tracks (thanks for the compliment) and the monsters that keep appearing.  Makes it look like the map is slowly infested.  Luckily it's not a super long level even if imperfect.  Looking forward to your feedback on the others.

Just now, KevvyLava said:

Any specific levels you are referring to?

Both Map01 and Map02 have these thin secrets. What I meant is that you like to tag only the door or something like that with a very small width as the secret, rather than tagging the whole room as a secret.

Prboom is a source port used to run doom wads.  The issue happens with the red door in map 01.  In Prboom+ it doesn't open, but in gzdoom (another source port) it works.  You'll have to ask someone more knowledgeable why zdoom lets untagged stuff work, but you need a tag, and a target sector tag to make things work most of the time.

So I downloaded this and gave it a shot. 

I really like all the new additions to the maps. It was a fresh twist on them. I found every secret and almost every item. I sat down the other day and beat all the maps in one sitting. I really enjoyed this wad. Thank you for the few hours of entertainment. 

I'm glad people are liking this!  I had a feeling it'd go over pretty well.  I wish there was a way instantly teleport enemies to certain locations...maybe there is with scripts.  But scripts are a pain in the ass for me.  I tried some in Doom Legacy back in the day, but never got the ZDoom stuff figured out.  I'll collect any bug fixes and make sure doors are tagged properly.  I guess whichever linedef I used for the red door acts differently in Doom/ZDoom than PrBoom(+).

Any other critiques?  Favorite new map layouts or moments?