Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Russell_P

id monster inspiration

We know the Cacodemon was inspired by (ie almost completely copied from) the head of a monster that was on an AD&D manual.

I was recently looking through a box of my old/ancient comics when I found a copy of a Ghost Rider comic. I have to say that Ghost Rider's head is identical to the Lost Soul. Another case of 'inspiration' on id's part? (apologies if this has already been mentioned in the past).

Hmmm, you could have a point. No horns though, and as I'm sure you know, the Doom Lost Soul evolved from something a bit less flamy. That's not to say the flames couldn't have come from Ghost Rider inspiration.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/6492/ghost_90.jpg

and seeing as how that one is on Geocities, and could close down any second

http://www.comicsetc.com/issue.cfm/issID/1123

Edit: ack the Geocities one can't be linked to directly. Heres the front page for it if anyone is really interested.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/6492/

The Doom 3 demon (woof!) bears striking resemblance to the D&D monsters called canoloths (a kind of demon). It is described as a large hairless metal plated bulldog with no eyes.

I'm not sure but i think that there is something like cyberdemon in some Manowar stuff? in cd cover maybe?

CyRaptor said:

The Spider Mastermind bears a striking resemblance to Krang from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Yes. And "Shredder" bears a striking resemblance to...gasp...Vader :)

CyRaptor said:

The Spider Mastermind bears a striking resemblance to Krang from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Yes, but less so in the picture you posted, more in other one's I've seen

I doubt the new demon comes from there... direct influences are much easier to see in DOOM and DOOM II that in DOOM III anyway. I'd say the biggest influence on the new demon is the old one, and in general, for DOOM III, it is Giger, sometimes directly and sometimes not. Not that D&D monsters cannot still be considered as an influence, but there's so many of those that it's easy to find something in one of them, even if there is no relation.

As for the flaming skull, just watch Evil Dead II. At the start, as the background story is told, it'll show a laughing, flying skull. I thought of the Lost Soul right away, and we already know Evil Dead was highly influential.

I don't think so. The Baron is simply a balrog-type demon without wings. It is part goat-like anyway, if you want to relate it to a mythological creature a satyr would make more sense (although the end product does look more like a minotaur in having an animal head, but then again goat headed demons are very common anyway.) Note that if you want to go that far back for influences, animal headed beings are very common in antiquity, such as the many egyptian gods.

CyRaptor said:

C'mon, it's just a brain with a face and arms/tentacles. Not really like the Cacodemon copy, where everything from the eyes, horns, and lips are copied. Anyway, Krang went inside the stomach of a big baby-looking robot, not a four-legged spider pod. =P

Actually, Krang originally had a two-legged pod he sat in before he had the robot guy. But still, it's more of a stretch than the Caco.

I still think that the face of the new hell knight came from the brain bug in StarShip Troopers. See it for yourself.

Look at the movie Dreamscape. Near the end, there is a monster that looks almost exactly like a Chaos Serpent.

Speaking of the Serpent... watch the movie Spawn. The Clown at one time transforms into an exact replica of the Serpent from Heretic / Hexen.

Yeah. Spawn rules. I think of violator when i see those chaos serpents. Yet the violator has more spikes.

Submerge said:

Yeah. Spawn rules. I think of violator when i see those chaos serpents. Yet the violator has more spikes.

Spawn rules, the movie doesn't. 'Nuff said.

dsm said:

Spawn rules, the movie doesn't. 'Nuff said.

Yea, I agree. Hehe his cape looks funny when its all over the place, heh so big too, its crazy.

I always thought the caco looked like a beholder from ad&d, but seeing that astral dreadnaught pic says it all.

The Cacodemon IS inevitably inspired by the Beholder. Adrian Carmack (I suppose he made it) must have looked at the cover of the Manual of the Planes (or a 2nd Edition book with the cover painting in it) and said "hmm, I could use this monster's face as a beholder-like monster." That Dreadnought picture is based on that painting (which was originally unnamed, not a monster with stats and stuff, just a picture.)

Slightly off-topic:

Does anyone perchance remember how long an astral dreadnaught is measured from the head to the end of the tail?

maxspeed said:

I'm not sure but i think that there is something like cyberdemon in some Manowar stuff? in cd cover maybe?

Heh quoting myself.

Now that i searched for this (Manowar: Hell on wheels, cd cover manowar.com). i found that it doesn't look very much like cyberdemon.

Shaviro said:

Yes. And "Shredder" bears a striking resemblance to...gasp...Vader :)

and Krang looks awfully lot like...gasp...Yoda! :)