Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

In the first time you played E1M1, where did you go first?

I tend to explore a bit when I play something new to me, so chances are I went up the steps and grabbed the armor,

I first searched at the area around the start, got the green armor (played on HMP first time, so luckily there weren't any enemies yet) and then I was looking at the door behind the spawn point, trying to open it. I thought I could open it with "E", but I couldn't, so I changed the buttons and then it still wouldn't open, so I found the correct door and I proceeded normally with the level. I don't think that I got any secrets in my first run and if I did, I probably got the outdoor area secret only. 

Now I use Spacebar for the "Use" button (I find it easier to press and more satisfying).

3 minutes ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

Now I use Spacebar for the "Use" button (I find it easier to press and more satisfying).

Me too.

I don't remember it that well. But I remember recognizing the "Blue Carpet" as Water until I watched the interview with Jon Romero, in which he evaluated his own maps. :D

It just wouldn't make sense to me: "why is there water in the middle of the room?" :D But I didn't mind much, I just progressed with the game.

Now I use Spacebar for the "Use" button (I find it easier to press and more satisfying).

Same. I played through Doom 1 and 2 on dosbox with default controls, so "use=space bar" reminded in my head.

When I first tried GZDoom, I found it unwieldy and uncomfortable setting E to Use. Before my Dooming, Space meant jumping and "use" was typical set to E. I guess I had to make an exception for Doom :)

wonder around, figuring out where the fuck should I go..

It was winter of 1995. I go up to the green armor. This is the time when I first saw gray mountain sky of E1 and I stared at them for at least 10 minutes.

1 minute ago, Reinchard said:

It was winter of 1995. I go up to the green armor. This is the time when I first saw gray mountain sky of E1 and I stared at them for at least 10 minutes.

Nice entry for a highly flopped plot element.

Also, for the first time, I was figuring out the controls in the SNES (yup) but yeah....armor room was the first place that I explored then the first door was next...

I went around in circles because I was still learning the keyboard controls, and hadn't mastered strafe control.

After being fried several times over by the human zombies, I think I might actually have gone to the window overlooking the courtyard. Then, I probably went up to the green armor area.

Believe it or not, I distinctly remember getting stuck on my first playthrough of E1M1. I was maybe 9 or 10. For some reason I couldn't find the big door, or maybe I just didn't recognize it as a door. I must have spent at least 10 minutes just wandering around the starting room/green armor room, trying to figure out how to get outside, where I assumed you had to go. I think I ragequit then came back to it the next day, found the big door, slapped myself in the forehead, and blasted all the way through E1.

Something I always remember when thinking about conveyance in my own maps...

Armour to the left. That's due to my style of play. Explore all the open areas before opening any doors so nothing creeps up behind me

I remember fairly specifically

This was on the SNES version; I was probably 6 or 7, I have two older brothers who rented it, and I remember not figuring out how to get out of the first room.

We played episode 2 and 3 because it was obvious where to go and we had no awareness of what an FPS was, so we would typically not get very far anyways. Even the staircase in E1M1 to get the armor was hard to do.

The next day when I was off school I remember playing the game and just running into every wall. I finally opened up the door and it blew my mind; I immediately ran out to tell my mom (since my brothers werent home yet) that I opened the door and I'm sure she didn't give two less of a shit.

It was a very long time later I even learned about the switch that opens the secret door to go outside.

I ran into the armor room and got shot to shit by sergeants.

5 hours ago, scalliano said:

(Image of armor room)

Something is missing here: the columns one of which has the secret switch.

3 hours ago, Empyre said:

Something is missing here: the columns one of which has the secret switch.

That's from one of the console ports.

Well, it was 23 years ago so I don't remember, but my usual playing style is to explore areas before I open doors so it's likely that would have gone up the stairs. Also, given how much I love exploding barrels, I'd like to think that I popped a few caps in the arse of one of the opening area's barrels first.

I went to the armor-room and tried to get out of the balcony there.