Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

Currently playing too much doom wads

Lastly i ended:

Ancient aliens
Alien vendetta

Scythe

Right now i'm playing memento mori

1 hour ago, TFK said:

How is Prey? Never got to play it though

Did you play System Shock 1 and/or 2?

Did you like them?

Have you spent 17 years waiting for the next System Shock, hopeful for but ultimately dissatisfied by the likes of Bioshock, Dead Space and Alien: Isolation, and painfully aware that until recently the very idea of a System Shock 3 was a pipe dream?

Then Prey is the game for you.

Disregard any notion of a "Prey" game that came out in 2006. That's not something that happened in our universe. If you happen upon this game, know that it exists in our reality purely through a cosmic mistake, and it does not belong here.

I just wish they'd resell Prey '06 so I could actually pick it up legit. But otherwise the new Prey does look cool and I've heard mostly good things.

Doom is the only videogame so far. As for games outside consoles, I'm currently playing Inside Out, well it's addictive despite the typical random unfair levels. 

carajomierda.png.32aeb77692f6215626fa94fc706abf6e.png

(not my picture)

Transistor, as someone who didn't like bastion, this game feels like a good evolution of the dev teams work, and has eliminated most of my gripes with bastion. The combat is certainly interesting.

Dead Island

well it was enough to make me continue for 2 or 3 hours, but I'm still on the fence about this game. I find that the intensity doesn't come from the zombies, but rather keeping my sanity when it comes to this game. The survival element is fine, but sometimes this is just too frustrating. I don't know how to explain it right now, so I probably need a break.

it just kind of made me want to play New Vegas because some things you take for granted like a BUTTON DOING WHAT IT'S SUPPOSED TO DO or BEING ABLE TO LOOK AT THE ENTIRE MAP 

like I'll come to a point where I'll think "oh alright, I've got a handle on this and this game is actually quite nice" but then my mind is changed a second later. Like I enjoyed that I couldn't run or attack while holding a gas can, so I had to bring a truck with me, but then they SPAWN zombos to come running at you as soon as you have to fill up the gas canister. Like okay I get it but come on. 

It feels like one of those games that would be easier in real life. 

I got roped by friends into playing The Forest. It's sort of Minecraft meets Lovecraft (and a massive timesink.)

Recently discovered there's a free Community Edition of the original Soldier of Fortune, so I've been replaying that for a good nostalgia trip. I remember how shockingly realistic the gore was back in 2001-02.

1 hour ago, Spectre01 said:

Recently discovered there's a free Community Edition of the original Soldier of Fortune, so I've been replaying that for a good nostalgia trip. I remember how shockingly realistic the gore was back in 2001-02.

Really? Where? I'd love to kick back with that one again.

Ride to Hell Retribution for 360. It's a bad game through and through, yet there are clean roots that predate back to a time where the game could've been something and had some love and care put into it. I don't know what the hell happened, but obviously they cut together whatever they had and called it a day. Funnily enough I think it had a planned mobile game and standalone downloadable game or something advertised on the old website.

Otherwise, playing Doom 3 BFG on 360, Infamous Second Son, The Warriors for PS4, and Max Payne 2.

6 hours ago, MrGlide said:

Transistor, as someone who didn't like bastion, this game feels like a good evolution of the dev teams work, and has eliminated most of my gripes with bastion. The combat is certainly interesting.

Up until Hollow Knight, Transistor had the best soundtrack I'd heard in years.

Finished as much of Fallout 4 as I am likely to play for a while (main quest, all the mission-based DLC, plenty of other quests).  Started Pillars of Eternity on the weekend.  So far, so ... okay.

Left 4 Dead 2, playing lots and lots of custom campaing, never though the game would be so much fun even alone.

4 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

Really? Where? I'd love to kick back with that one again.

There's a addon for it named SoFplus.

The last game I played was Resident Evil 7.

I took a short while getting used to the 1st person perspective.

I actually enjoyed the first half a lot!!! I think it was very well done and eventhough it was different, it certainly had that unique Resident Evil feeling. 

I didn't like the second half very much because of the different, boring and repetetive environment.

Just bought Alien: Isolation and NieR: Automata, also finished the Dusk early acess and will replay in on Duskmare now. Some Quake Champions, too, but i still suck at it.

Currently Playing Shadow Warrior 2013 and really enjoying it so far. The bosses in this game are insane design and gameplay wise.

Probably knocked out Duke 3d in my top 5 FPS games list, which is funny because I was not a fan of the original SW.

Edited by jazzmaster9

2 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Currently Playing Shadow Warrior 2013 and really enjoying it so far. The bosses in this game are insane design and gameplay wise.

Probably knocked out Duke 3d in my top 5 FPS games list, which is funny because I was not a fan of the original SW.

the Shadow Warrior reboots are a great example of the remake being better than the original. i too found the original SW to be clunky and not very fun to play, mostly due to the "hot potato" type of monsters you encounter, which can pack absurd amounts of firepower. the SW reboot isn't without its flaws either, of course, but i definitely think it and 2 has managed to give Shadow Warrior a much better and unique identity over the original game.

I think the bosses were the weakest point of SW '13 imo. They take too long to kill (especially evident on higher difficulties) making them not particularly hard, just a slog, and too many attacks have too great an area of effect. Also a lot of the big enemies are more bullet spongy than they ought to be regardless of difficulty, making even fully upgraded firearms feel under-powered late game.

34 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

I think the bosses were the weakest point of SW '13 imo. They take too long to kill (especially evident on higher difficulties) making them not particularly hard, just a slog, and too many attacks have too great an area of effect. Also a lot of the big enemies are more bullet spongy than they ought to be regardless of difficulty, making even fully upgraded firearms feel under-powered late game.

yeah, those are more or less my main complaints about the game, alongside the incredible linearity and arena-type gameplay that persists throughout the entire game. the guys with the shields are probably the most egregious example due to being so common, but the Shamen and Berserkers also elicit similar types of behavior, except they can just turn flat-out invincible. thankfully, none of the regular enemies in the sequel can turn invincible, making the combat a lot more enjoyable. the guns are also much more useful in the sequel, too.

Playing through the Metroid Prime trilogy for the first time, downloaded on the Wii U.  I just finished 1 and started 2.

CAPTAIN's LOG: A REVIEW IN MADNESS

I fear I've been stricken with some kind of deadly brain disease. I have just taken it upon myself to fully complete the 1998 video game Shogo: Mobile Armor Division (or M.A.D.) by Monolith Productions, on the highest difficulty mode on offer. The aptly named "MADNESS" mode. I don't know what has overcome of me to take on such a feat. I don't enjoy the game itself on any other difficulty mode. I live if fear and paranoia now, and I don't know what to do with the power I now wield... Let this be a warning to all.

beF5MIY.png

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. MANY HORRORS LURKING WITHIN.

If you want to know the plot of this piece of space junk, you can read it here: THE STORY SO FAR.... The story is a jumbled mess and not worth following, I was too flustered and had too many tears in my big anime eyes anyways. They didn't care either as it just gets dumped on you in text between levels and most of it was cut thanks to unfair deadlines put on the game by their publisher of then GTi.

Upon starting the game on MADNESS I immediately take note at how the enemy mechs that are toting hitscan weapons will auto-aim me. To make matters worse, their shots do incredible amounts of damage. I've seen myself go from full health and armor, to none in a matter of 1-2 shots. I suppose the company I work for is suffering budget cuts, which means my mech is now made of soiled newspapers and banana peels. It's at this point I catch myself already weeping and slowly loading my revolver.

Clearly this was a foreshadowing of the hell that awaits me. If I were a smart man, I'd take my coat and tears and loaded gun and just leave. But instead I press on. Clearly than, I must have gone mad. Shogo MAD.

nZM03dL.png

What is this space wizardry?

When Shogo isn't forcing you to partake in completely unfair gun combat, it's instead waging a war on your senses. For 1998, this game is incredibly, incredibly ugly. People in this world look like hastily glued together action figures. And their faces... oh god... their faces... Twisted contortions of horror that would make even men such as Junji Ito recoil in absolute fear. I'll take the fat underwater gangster midgets from Kingpin any day. Please.

clGkEQ3.png

It's at this point I realize that god has forsaken me.

Level design is uninspired and nonsensical, and if you look around and pay attention, almost every map in this game will rain down on you various glitches and oversights. Missing textures, halls of mirrors, falling through bridges, water levels higher then the connecting sectors, invisible walls that randomly pop up to halt your progress, objects like trees that produce absolutely gigantic gibs when destroyed, etc etc. Mech sections also ring incredibly hollow. You're not actually a giant mech in a city, it's just a shitty illusion. This is further proven by the cheat code that lets you use mech weapons in on-foot missions.

2zP9fB5.png

They played us like a DAMN FIDDLE.

Is this what being in an anime is like? I don't like it. It's terrifying. Nothing makes sense in this reality. It's like a matrix going haywire. One could call it... MADNESS.

As for the combat? Or what you can vaguely call combat? It's is some next level chaos. First off, the enemies lack any form of intelligent AI. Even original Doom surpasses it. Unless told to do so by the mapper, they will refuse to leave their spot, even if they saw you. This stubbornness however will aid you in your MADNESS. As you can easily corner shoot your enemy to death. The only problem is when they see you, even a tiny pixel of you, they'll start shooting. And if one bullet hits your tiny pixel? Have fun in anime hell you fucko. 

Z39kB8P.png

This is Hank. He pops up out of nowhere, helps you for a bit, and then dies. Nobody cares. Not even your character.

You will need plenty of patience and be sure to stock up on some near-by tissues to wipe your tear-ridden eyes and snotty nose, as you slowly inch around corners like a ninja made of glass and corner shoot everyone you see, sometimes shooting before you even see anything because the enemies are that fucking quick. Do you feel like a badass yet? If you're like me, you feel like something is wrong with you and you have too much time on your hands. Why the fuck did I do this to myself. I am scum. Save scum.

a4Bd4TW.png

Help me I am in HELL.

I hope you like getting auto-aim one shotted a lot and save scumming like a paranoid wreck, you fucking baka. You better develop a fucking fetish for it. Shogo on MADNESS boils down to inching forward, killing an enemy or two, saving, inching forward, killing an enemy or two, saving, rinse and repeat. It's the ONLY way. Oh and did I mention the enemy's weapons do like 5x the damage yours do? On-foot or in mech, it doesn't matter. Welcome to DIE.

pEPYgu8.png

All the enemies are just re-skins of one another. Joy.

The mech levels are only SLIGHTLY easier thanks to your weapon selection. If you're quick enough, your multi-rocket launcher will make a good spam weapon as you strafe in and out quickly. Just watch where you step in these giant cardboard cities you fight in, because if you step on a car it explodes. One little car explosion when dealing with the MADNESS will send your paper origami mech to fucking robo-hell.

"B-But Master-san (that's me because I beat this shit), I have 2000 health and 2000 armor! Surely I don't have to crawl around these maps like a dumb infant who can't use their amazing and mighty legs to walk?" Yeah well guess what you stupid infant, 2000 health and 2000 armor in the thick of the MADNESS translates to 20 health and 20 armor. This was a mistake and you should GO BACK NOW.

KRYHKSx.png

Clearly a working and finished product for store shelves.

If for some reason you make it to the first on-foot mission, this is where the nightmare (AKA MADNESS) truly begins. You are in a world of shit now. The same tactics I mentioned in the mech missions apply here, but even MORE-SO. The on-foot enemies have the reaction time of a cheetah on fucking speed, monster energy drink and cocaine. Oh you have 200 health and 200 armor? Feeling pretty good about the situation eh? Son, I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Being one shotted by a shotgunner before he's even within' my view from behind a wall. I watched my 200 health and 200 armor get zapped away in 2 shots from an enemy's sub-machine gun. All those moments will be lost in MADNESS, like tears on my cheeks. 

Time to die.

PMylJ15.png

Dabbin' on the haters?

If for some reason you lack any semblance of a life like me, and you make it to one of two of the final bosses, you're in for some disappointment. Now, I'm just a fat guy with a beard and tons of beer playing shitty videos games on the hardest difficulty because I'm a masochist, but I went ahead and did BOTH endings. Because I'm the biggest baka there is and Randy Savage is dead so I guess I'll just have to embrace this MADNESS and live with it. It's a part of me now. I am fat Randy Savage.

54HMBvf.jpg

He'd be proud. I hope.

Before you fight any of the final bosses however, you have to fight some incredibly retarded guy named Baku, mech on mech. He's easy to spot by his absurdly over-sized gun that clips through everything. He's very high up on a tower, so once the cut-scene ends take your hands off the keyboard and just watch as this butt flustered loser shoots at his feet and hurts himself. Once he's hurt enough, he'll proclaim that "we'll finish this later" and fly off.

huPAKpM.png

Sorry, I can't hear you over the giant blurry dildo you're carrying.

If you pick the first boss, which is some cunt named Ryo, you'll have to fight through your own boys to get to him. It's basically the on-foot ending. The levels leading up to him are the standard fare, you are a ninja warrior made of Papier-mâché who must corner shoot everyone in your way to ultimate cheapskate victory. Right before you do however, you'll have to do an annoying 2 minute countdown section and if the timer goes up the level is failed. I somehow only failed this once, but you really gotta haul ass. Expect to save and load like an anxious crackhead dealing with this part.

kjS3ZMF.png

I have no hands and I must hit ESC.

And Look. I'm not gonna sugarcoat it, okay? Ryo is impossible on MADNESS. Literally, in every sense of the word, impossible. When you reach a door, you activate a cutscene where he comes out in a mech. You are very out in the open, and the only cover is about 20-30 paces behind you. The moment that cutscene ends, the millisecond it goes back to the game... he just auto-aim one shots you with his laser rifle. Every time. Without fail. I reloaded about 15 times. It  simply cannot be done. It's fucking impossible.

This is your reward for being the biggest baka in the universe, you anime lover.

So, with great shame, the only way to do this even somewhat fairly is to cheat. I used MPGOD to activate god mode, and I ran back to the cover. As I did this, how interesting it was that EVERY ONE OF HIS SHOTS HIT ME DEAD ON. So even if you did in theory dodge the first shot, you will NOT DODGE THE 20 OR SO THAT FOLLOW. Who made this. Why did they do it. Where are their parents?

I got to the cover, which is thru a small door that he can't fit through. I then deactivated MPGOD (which funnily enough, when the game tells you it's off it's actually on and vice versa, good stuff!), and stood there firing all my weapons into his mech's legs. He has an ABSURD amount of health, this took at least a good 2-3 minutes. I'm not joking. Once his mech falls he comes out of it, and luckily, he got caught up on the door so I just crouched and emptied into him.

Bottom line is it's shit.

6fJnxXy.jpg

This game somehow predicts the facial expression I made dealing with its bullshit.

Now, if you pick the other ending where you fight your brother Gabriel or some shit, this is basically the mech ending. These levels are a totally different story. First off, these are easily the most annoying mech missions in the entire game. A lot of the enemy mechs will be equipped with the strongest mech weapon, the Red Riot, which is basically a mini-nuke. Theirs will one shot kill you 100% of the time. Yours will leave a small dent in their armor and might make the pilot sneeze. 

If you don't snap your keyboard in half by this point, you are a true trash ninja. Perhaps you too, will soon ascend to Randy Savage levels of MADNESS.

There comes a point where you'll reach a big gate, guarded by about 5-6 mechs who all have Red Riots. You will use damn near all the ammo you have left just to get past this part, mark my words. Again, expect to save and load like your computer is about to pop and explode and if you don't finish this before then someone will kill your dog and all your friends and loved ones.

y0Vj0DL.png

A question we sadly ask ourselves more and more. #freecaleb

After that, there is a very brief on foot section on an elevator, where you'll have to fight a mini-boss of sorts. It's just Baku the baka again, this time not in his mech with his giant blue and orange butt plug, and who for some reason decided to stay put and not fire at me. Perhaps he took pity on me and all I've dealt with up to this point. Thank you, Baku. You're a true friend.

t5tYJ64.png

I mercilessly gunned him down.

Gabriel himself isn't too bad, he has a giant stupid stick that he misses with a lot if you just keep circle strafing, however a giant alien penis is casting a shield around him, so you gotta shoot the alien dick so his shields goes down for a few seconds, then take some shots at him. He doesn't have a lot of health, and it's a pretty chill boss all things considered.

Except for the fact that you will run out of ammo thanks to the retarded fight with all the Red Riot mechs. Your main starting weapon, the blaster rifle, doesn't do anything against the alien dong. Only the other weapons do. Why? I don't know fuck you that's why. Welcome to the MADNESS bitch.

uxe9hDb.png

The alien reproductive organ in question.

So once again, I was forced to cheat. MPKFA this time to refill my weapons. I shot at the alien pecker and then laid into Gabriel and he went down pretty quickly. After you take him down, guess what? You have to fight Ryo anyways, only this time it's on more fairer terms then the first ending.

A door behind you opens, and a bunch of try hard over powered hit-scanning auto-aiming one-shotting fucbois will pour out to wreck your ass and make you their bitch. You just gotta position yourself carefully, and lay into them with your Shredder, which shoots really fast explosive shells. Don't let up until everything is smoking rubble and broken dreams, even then shoot some more just to be sure. Once you kill a certain amount of them, Ryo will join the mix, so if you keep firing he shouldn't be a problem. He'll be on the ground out of his mech, so just step on the pest and ascend to your new position in life. The lord of MADNESS.

sqEgJ1f.jpg

It's coming for you.

Holy shit. I've never played such a broken game on the hardest difficulty. I can't even believe I finished it. I'm guessing this difficulty was a joke, because you can't even actually finish it 100% legit. Perhaps if you are an ammo hoarding master who can hit everything super accuratly and preserve your ammo well enough, you MIGHT beat Gabriel 100% fair. But Ryo on-foot? For-fucking-get about it.

While the game is absolute rushed trash, I can't really blame Monolith Productions. I know Shogo and Blood 2 where massively rushed by their publisher to meet holiday deadlines. These games are not what they're supposed to be. They play like betas to what should be a finished product that was put on shelves for $50-$60 dollars. I will say that the sound design is decent, the voice acting is good for 1998, the music is fantastic (except the track that sounds like a dead cat which is just extra hilarious) and Monolith really know how to make a fucking shotgun. Though I hardly used it because MADNESS gimps it so badly and the enemies are just too fast for me to use it on them.

zEzRqfE.png

Shotgun: 1 - Truck: 0

This was a three day journey of non-stop cussing, beer, hotdogs and tears. If you want to hate yourself really badly, go play Shogo on MADNESS. I already had hair on my chest but now I have a fucking jungle.

End of log.

Edited by CARRiON

Shogo really is one of those so-bad-it's-good-but-still-bad games. It's right up there with Blood II, Postal 2 and Rise of the Triad '13. What do these all have in common? They're bad games with moments of greatness in between the frustrating imbalances and cheapness in addition to being buggy as all hell. Full of personality sure, but also poorly programmed too. All in all guilty pleasures!

Never in my life was I so happy to have been locked out of a game via game breaking bug than I was while playing Shogo. Utterly embarrassing in every way imaginable, and in ways hitherto undiscovered. 

I love SHOGO for all its flaws. I genuinely don't think a game with its particular style and atmosphere could be made anymore, even a good one. For one thing they simply don't make anime like that anymore, which is a shame.