Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
genericpainelemental

im currently making a wad and don't know how to make switches open doors

as the title says im currently working on is this a wad yet? version 3 which i intend to have at least 9 more levels than the original

however i have one problem: i have no idea how to make a switch activate a door and every time i try it either ends up with the switch not working or the switch working but the door not opening can someone help? (im using doom builder 2 to make to make the wad in case anyone needed to know)

Edited by genericpainelemental : fixed

Now on give action for switch, I don't know what format do you use, but action must be repeatable for doors. In doom format 63 action(switch repeatable doors open-wait-close) cover this.

You aren't actually giving us enough information. There's 3 different map formats, multiple ways a door and switch can be connected, and even ways for the door to be physically unable to function.

Fastest way to get to the bottom of problem is to post the map to show us what you have done.

19 minutes ago, genericpainelemental said:

as the title says im currently working on is this a wad yet? version 3 which i intend to have at least 9 more levels than the original

however i have one problem: i have no idea how to make a switch activate a door and every time i try it either ends up with the switch not working or the switch working but the door not opening can someone help? (im using doom builder 2 to make to make the wad in case anyone needed to know)

Why don't you spend some time with a proper mapping tutorial to get the basics right on a step by step basis, as I already suggested back when your supposedly corrupted map showed up on these forums?

Look here:

As others have said already, you don't give enough information. Does the door slide upwards or downwards? Are ceiling and floor heights near the door suitable for the "action" you want the door to perform? Do you use a shootable switch, or a normal switch? Do you use a repeatable switch, or a single use switch? Is the action you use for the switch any action that is not a tripwire linedef action? Is the linedef's frontside of the switch facing the right direction? What mapping format do you use? NOTE mapping format =/= the builder you use... etc yadda yadda...

In all due honesty, with that mapping tutorial I linked here, it should be possible for you to create a basic map that works properly without asking for help at all in most conceivable scenarios, so please, spend time with a tutorial.

Don't create other rooms in your map before solving such a problen as not being able to create doors. You shoud make a map with the basic stuff in one room first, and then start with more advanced stuff

5 minutes ago, Chamelenoel said:

Don't create other rooms in your map before solving such a problen as not being able to create doors. You shoud make a map with the basic stuff in one room first, and then start with more advanced stuff

im not sure what that means

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

Fastest way to get to the bottom of problem is to post the map to show us what you have done.

I found one switch in that oddly named wad you provided, and it does not share a tag with any door in there, thus the switch can not work, because it does not know what it should "adress". Also, make sure you chose the correct action for switches like these.

A door always is a sector, so, you need a linedef as a switch with tag "X", and the door sector also needs tag "X".

In that series of tutorials I linked you, there's a tutorial about sectors and tags, if I'm not mistaken, that should explaon how to set these things up properly.

And if such a relatively small issue already makes you want to give up, then I'm not sure what's gonna happen if you ever try to build a more complex map.

6 minutes ago, genericpainelemental said:

okay i'll try that.

Don't read the entire tutorial from the beginning...

This is what you need to have a look at for your door to work:

The tutorial in its entirety is for when you have the time to spare, preferably before you start making your next map, for matter...

1 minute ago, genericpainelemental said:

i've done the whole tag thing the problem is how to connect the door and button with the door like if i have the tags for the button and door set to 2 or something.

If the switch (READ: Linedef somewhere) and the door (READ: Sector elsewhere) have the same tag, they already are connected, the tutorial explains all that...

You put a switch somewhere. The switch (Linedef) gets an action, like "Door open stay" or "raise ceiling to next higher ceiling", then it gets a tag, then you add the same tag to a door (sector) and then, when the switch is pressed ingame, it will open the door, and it will stay open, for example.

7 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

You put a switch somewhere. The switch (Linedef) gets an action, like "Door open stay", then it gets a tag, then you add the same tag to a door (sector) and then, when the switch is pressed ingame, it will open the door, and it will stay open, for example.

i tried that but the switch just won't work no matter how many times i try to use it.

Just now, genericpainelemental said:

i tried that but the switch just won't work no matter how many times i try to use it.

then you're doing something wrong. simple as that. I bet you 600 energy cells I can make it work just like I described it in less than 5 minutes, and I'm also willing to bet my favourite pair of high heels, that you still didn't tag the sector of the door, but rather its linedefs.

1 hour ago, genericpainelemental said:

you were right i edited the linedefs not the sector it now works because i edited the sector

In case you didn't already do that, the linedefs surrounding your door may still have actions and tags assigned to them. It's probably best to remove those tags and actions from the linedefs which the door is made of, to prevent unwanted interactions.

32 minutes ago, NaZa said:

How do you call a person who gives advice in a bitter and vain way?

It's really cool that you commented here to help the guy out with his problem.

Well, I'm not too concerned about the door not working at this point. I'm thinking more about it working "too well", because I remember there being activatable linedefs on the front and the back of the door you want to be opened with that one secret switch you placed somewhere. If those linedefs stay the way they were when I had a look, it might be possible to open the door in two different ways, one of which you may not have intended to work. If that makes any sense.