Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TootsyBowl

"Dickish" map design

I mean unless there's something I'm missing (haven't actually played KS), ksutra map30 isn't really dickish. Quite the opposite, in fact :P

34 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I wonder when the first kamasutra screenies will show up around here...

I'm just gonna say map 11.

1 hour ago, TootsyBowl said:

Different people have different standards. What's yours?

WARNING! NSFW!

Spoiler

5ZIBS6S.jpg

Opposite, I think :p OR NOT?!

I remember playing a wad for ZDoom in 2006 where the second map took place on a giant cock island where the player fought monsters called "sausageguards".

As a mapper, I reject the notion of "dickish map design" and substitute it with "bad player".

3 hours ago, TootsyBowl said:

Different people have different standards. What's yours?

Different standards for providing content when starting threads? Apparently so. 

posting in epic thread

Also, the thread ID is 96969

that's a sign

edit: also, a post gathering 31 likes in 4 hours is probably the new record.

Edited by bzzrak

2 minutes ago, Jaws In Space said:

I like big noses.

59b82f3613cdf_Bignose.png.7b10851f04a427329737bb120d69bdb1.png

If only that were Nixon's face, it would truly be Dickish...

All that aside...  Technically the question at hand was already answered by the statement that everybody "has different standards." Every unique mapping style will be considered "dickish" by at least one other person out there.

Peens!

Anyway- on topic ;P Armour or spheres that are unavoidable and blatantly put in that you MUST pick it up before progressing.

Loooong damage runs without chance of healing or a way to avoid it...hm... pop up hitscanners with no chance of prewarning and no cover (bonus dickish points if they pop out the ground instantly infront of you to give you a spookems!)

Ok I guess I'll be the first to participate in this thread.

From what Ive seen, I think the two things that lower standards of what qualifies for dickish map design are familiarity with Doom and familiarity with the map. Some mappers might consider a map with very little shotgun shells to be dickish if they don't know how many shots it takes to kill each monster, or maybe a small room with a lot of different monsters if they aren't used to getting monsters to fight each other. If you're an experienced

doom player and these are reasons people criticize your map, it can safely be ignored.

However I do think that a good level designer who poses extreme challenges in their maps are also better at giving the player some sort of a tell that gives the marine a chance to activate it at their own will. I can be pretty salty towards things like hot starts or surprise teleport ambushes just for looking around.

D92nOji.png

You can't take most of these guys out early and always get wrecked upon arriving at that teleporter.