Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

Do you have a favorite personal work?

What are your favorite contributions you've made to the community - be it maps, music or any other sort of work?

I still think my best work was Eternally Yours, and I'd have to add Absolute Dishonor to that as well from last year. I also really enjoyed contributing to other projects such as Interception and both TNT projects (Revilution and TNT2). Reverie still holds a special place in my heart though, but as someone else said I think Eternally Yours was more the appropriate length for a solo-project being an episode replacement.

I think I finally did something good by doing my own port of Doom 64 to GZDoom. Still going strong, working on adding more maps from the older TC from the 2000s. This is probably the best contribution I will make to the community.

I think Toilet Break is one of my most memorable ones, somehow it feels like more than just another level. Maybe the use of a few unusual textures helps. Maihama is also good, it has nice balance with the player having to leave some monsters for later. Dunno, this is a tough question for me as I never really figured out how to evaluate my own works. How would I feel about these levels if they were made by someone else? I have no idea.

I tortured people with my hexen and heretic gameplay modifications but never bothered making threads anywhere. I never feel they are complete enough to make it "official" :\.

Usually I consider the last thing that I made to be my best work, at the moment I'm most happy with Bloody Rust 2. Everything just went so smoothly with that project, it's a fun set of maps with a great set of midis. It features my first DeHackEd work, which I'm quite proud of. I consider map 4 of the project to be my very best map & I'm very happy with how it turned out. I even think that the status bar is the best one that I've made, it's a simple thing based on METAL2.

Probably Chocolate Doom I guess, although after running the Freedoom project for many years (I'm no longer the maintainer) I feel quite proud of how it's developed, especially in recent years.

My Infested Compound Plutonia map which was originally a map for the Plutonia Revisited Community project but was unfortunately rejected & I later release it standalone.

I feel like it was the most effort that I ever put in a single map compare to everything else I made at this point.

I'm really proud of the way the Mutiny texture pack came out. I wish I had more time for mapping because theres a lot of potential for some fantastically colorful techbase maps to make with that.

Even though it hasn't been released yet, I view Shotgun Symphony as my best sustained piece of work, partly because I enjoy working in Ultimate Doom so much. And within that mapset, E1M5 is my favorite. It's huge, it has a lot of action, and the secret chains are totally fun for me. Just a great big giant Toxin Refinery descendant, and it even has an homage to Antoni Chan's Castle of The Hellknights, which it seems no one has ever noticed. ;D

OTOH, if it comes down to a single map, I gotta go with Heat Miser from MAYhem 2048. It asks the musical question, "What happens when you teleport 144 Cacos through the windows and into a 2048x2048 space?" It was so over-the-top crazy-stupid that it more or less had to work. ;D Just watching that cloud coming in was IMO worth the price of admission.

I wanna say Project Einherjar since it was a much bigger effort that Strange Aeons. Most of the assets were heavily customized or made from scratch. I'm otherwise pretty proud of Midgard Outlaw turning out so cool and being some of my best map design in general.

MM2 map15.  Despite its glitches and the fact that some of the my other maps are probably better regarded, it will always have a special significance to me as my first really ambitious bit of mapping, and my first community project.

As an authentic imitation of an original episode 2 map, it wasn't that great, but as a stand-alone map, I'm inclined to say my e2m7 for DTWID is my personal favorite.

It's even a bit lame in the game play department, but architecturally and atmospherically, there's something about it that captures the spirit of the original Doom, even if it didn't strictly adhere to the goals of the project. It's dark and foreboding with a feeling of damp, cold, dreadful malice that for me is the embodiment of The Shores of Hell.

1 hour ago, Capellan said:

MM2 map15.  Despite its glitches and the fact that some of the my other maps are probably better regarded, it will always have a special significance to me as my first really ambitious bit of mapping, and my first community project.

I quite enjoyed your MAP15 of MM2 as well; it's one of my favorites of your works. I also really liked your short maps in Requiem even if some of them were considered filler.

Once I finish playing TNT: Revilution I'm looking forward to checking out some of the projects mentioned in this thread.

Dementia (E4M6) for 2002ADO is my favorite piece, there was no drama behind the scenes associated with that map; it oozes an atmosphere that I enjoy to this day; and it's the kind of map I enjoy playing.   

Favorite work for Doom? The unfinished Doom Battle Chess:

Pissing off BZPlasma.
But everybody does that so Im gonna go with no, all my stuff is poop. ^^

My 9 map Wad Operation UAC is my pride but the Brutal Doom requirement and more linear map design is not exactly the appropriate wad for this community.

Otherwise my Doom 2016 Snapmap: Memento Mori Machina is my latest piece I'm proud to contribute to the Doom masses.

On 13/9/2017 at 4:11 AM, valkiriforce said:

Reverie still holds a special place in my heart though, but as someone else said I think Eternally Yours was more the appropriate length for a solo-project being an episode replacement.

Not agree with you on this. Reverie has more memorable maps and more variety in the gameplay. I do like and enjoy E Yours but Reverie is better imo :)

*boards the ego train*

Released-map-wise, NEIS E2M4 (Derelict Vessel) is my personal fave. I had a really specific goal in mind when making it (Tom Hall builds a spaceship), and I feel like I hit the mark. I think the only other time I've had that feeling towards a Xasermap is PRCP MAP25 (Wicked Garden), but Vessel is the better of the two, so it takes the proverbial cake.

Unreleased-map-wise, there's some stuff for Square E2 and BTSX E3 that I'm pretty proud of. No spoilers yet.

Gameplay-mod-wise... I'm not really sure. It shifts a lot, given that half the reason I make a new mod is that I'm tired of messing with the previous one (unlike maps which sometimes actually reach a "finished" state ;), so the technically-correct answer is "whichever one I'm currently working on." :P

Single-piece-of-architecture-wise: The titular Helix in PRCP MAP15. I need to build that in Quake (or something similar) with a real interior someday. 

*makes a hasty exit via defenestration*

From Moonblood, I love the levels on episode 5 (maps 21 to 26). Although they felt confuse for some players, they do really play well for me :P Also, for these levels, I tried to go for different routes, using some more interesting concepts and verticality instead of the usual room-room concept. If I were to choose one level, though, it would be MAP29. I wasn't impressed out first when I finished it, but that was one of the most fun levels to see some playthroughts.

I also quite like Nevasca's level 7, a large level with lots of interesting setpieces and non-linearity. It has been a good while I don't play it, though haha

If we're talking individual maps, I'm incredibly proud of, and feel incredibly lucky that ZDCTFMP MAP08 turned out the way it did.

It's a very visually striking map, was fun to play in pubs for years, and I got rather lucky that rocket jumps were found much later on that kept the map competitively relevant.

Honestly I don't think I have anything that is my favourite personal work, I'm known to be hard on myself. But some maps were nice like "Riot Control" and "Toxic Waste Processing Plant" And also "The Hive" from NDCP2, still a pretty cool looking map. I think those projects were projects I really enjoyed working on, and the maps turned out really nice. Thats what I like, projects you enjoy working on from start to finish. Unfortunately it doesn't always go like that.

I just enjoy building maps, thats what it is all about for me. It just gives me a kick being able to create something from an idea that I have in my mind.

The only maps of mine that I really enjoy nowadays are the two I made for 2048 Unleashed. Both of them still play like a charm.

As far as other work? Hmm...been increasingly getting active on the wiki. I'd say that walkthrough I did for Cheogsh stood out the most. In general though I take pride as the secret hunter over there.

Saw this thread and stewed for a bit. ZDoom Wars is overall my most notable, and I ADORE the concept (intending to make it is what got me to learn modding), but it never quite hit the mark I'd always wanted.

Doomvengers on the other hand hits the notes I want as a love letter to the community and a way of playing map sets that never gets old (particularly once the boss expansion is out).

I really love my maps for Doom the Way id Did E1M2 and E1M6. It was fun trying emulate the E1 Romero style and having my kind of flare on it. The project forced me out of my box and I loved the end result.

Then there is Pinnacle of Darkness which is completely different. When the map finally came together, it was so epic and gargantuan that I really impressed myself. It's a feeling that I've never really had with my own maps. It was also so incredibly draining I will probably never do anything like that again.