Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archaeo

the bloodletting is about to begin

I was once a serious doomer. I made great doom conversions with all new graphics that were better than any I ever saw and levels that blew my own mind away, but unfortunately I never released them online an sadly I fell away from doom. That was five years ago. How the times have changed. Now I have come back to my home land and found it has turned into a metropolis of goodies. Now I am humbly asking this new generation of doomers to show me around the town. Zdoom has caught my eye and I need to know what utilities are “a must have” for Zdoom. I have set out to make a total conversion of doom 2 and I need all the goods. Thank you, fellow DOOM FREAKS!

Oh the bloodletting is about to begin, I can just feel it!

Archaeo said:

I was once a serious doomer. I made great doom conversions with all new graphics that were better than any I ever saw and levels that blew my own mind away, but unfortunately I never released them online an sadly I fell away from doom. That was five years ago. How the times have changed. Now I have come back to my home land and found it has turned into a metropolis of goodies. Now I am humbly asking this new generation of doomers to show me around the town. Zdoom has caught my eye and I need to know what utilities are “a must have” for Zdoom. I have set out to make a total conversion of doom 2 and I need all the goods. Thank you, fellow DOOM FREAKS!

Oh the bloodletting is about to begin, I can just feel it!

Well sir, it's nice to see an old convert come back to the fold :)

Anyway, if ZDoom's caught your eye, don't worry. It's caught a lot of eyes :P Get it here
If you want to make some new conversion of yours, try this level editor.

Archaeo said:

I was once a serious doomer. I made great doom conversions with all new graphics that were better than any I ever saw and levels that blew my own mind away, but unfortunately I never released them online an sadly I fell away from doom.

Did you save any of these?

The saddest part of this whole story is yes I did save these games, but they were on my mothers old computer and one day I brought a friend over to show him my games and they had vanished along with everything else on the computer. My mom said it happened during a lightning storm. That was this spring and it is part of the reason that I’m coming back. I want to prove to the world that I can make one hell of a good doom TC.

I’m planning on it but its going to take a while because I am just getting everything downloaded, like doom and stuff. Har har!

Actually I decided I’m going to make an Ultimate Doom TC. Someone tell me what you think is better than Zdoom and why.

Archaeo said:

Actually I decided I’m going to make an Ultimate Doom TC. Someone tell me what you think is better than Zdoom and why.

Any reason you don't want to stick with vanilla DooM?

Don't get me wrong. I'll be the first to tell you that ZDooM is the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel. However, using a source port can be somewhat overwhelming, particularly for someone learning (or, in your case, re-learning) the ropes of editing.

Still, if you want to try a source port ZDooM is definitely a strong contender. Other popular ports with excellent features are Legacy, Edge, and JDooM. Why is an up-and-coming port.

deathz0r said:

i thought Why was a level editor... o_O

Oops. My mistake. You are quite correct about it being a level editor. I was thinking about Vavoom

ReX said:

Any reason you don't want to stick with vanilla DooM?

Don't get me wrong. I'll be the first to tell you that ZDooM is the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel. However, using a source port can be somewhat overwhelming, particularly for someone learning (or, in your case, re-learning) the ropes of editing.

Still, if you want to try a source port ZDooM is definitely a strong contender. Other popular ports with excellent features are Legacy, Edge, and JDooM. Why is an up-and-coming port.

Actually, I am unfamiliar with these other source ports, I will check them out now but the reason zdoom caught my eye was because of the control it gives the player. I want to make a faster paced game and the more control the player has, the more control I have. If I find that the other source ports give more control then I’m there. Oh yes and one more thing. I am doing this for the challenge. The rewards are much greater in the end for me. I am trying to replace all graphics of the original game and so far, I am doing a good job. 53 flats, 112 patches and 27 sprits in 5 days. WOW! I just surprised myself with these numbers. Maybe I should go out and do something for a few hours. This is what I love to do. I have been away from doom for 5 years and I’ve been busy with other game projects but It has always been doom lingering in the back of my mind and it’s good to be back. I wonder how long it will take for something else to take dooms throne. Maybe never.

Archaeo said:

53 flats, 112 patches and 27 sprits in 5 days.

Damn, that's real good!

I wonder how long it will take for something else to take dooms throne. Maybe never.

There is no competition, or I'll slap 'em with a trout.

Well, computer graphics is what I’m best at and it is probably the biggest reason that I do this stuff. I am majoring in visual arts with emphasis in computer graphics and this is a good way for me to meditate and practice at the same time. Oh by the way. I just saw 23 boobs at a party tonight. You figure out the math.

Archaeo said:

I just saw 23 boobs at a party tonight. You figure out the math.

We'll just assume you meant that you saw 23 idiots at the party. ;)

let us see your graphic... :)
maybe You should remove one level wad or a wad pack with 4-6 levels, so we can see your editing skill... :)

ReX said:

We'll just assume you meant that you saw 23 idiots at the party. ;)

Ha ha ha! Yes, that is what I meant.

Torn said:

let us see your graphic... :)
maybe You should remove one level wad or a wad pack with 4-6 levels, so we can see your editing skill... :)

Sorry! This is going to take me a few days. I want to get a new feeling for this game and I don’t want to taint it with doom, even though I love the feeling of doom. It is becoming a darker game so far. Oh hey! If I change stuff with dehacked how do I upload it onto this site? Never mind that last part. I think I know.

Actually, to tell you the truth it’s been a long time since I’ve made a doom level and now I just scared myself because I talked myself up so much. Tee hee! :)

This is off the subject but why should I purchase the complete deepsea?

Archaeo said:

Actually, I am unfamiliar with these other source ports, I will check them out now but the reason zdoom caught my eye was because of the control it gives the player. I want to make a faster paced game and the more control the player has, the more control I have. If I find that the other source ports give more control then I’m there. Oh yes and one more thing. I am doing this for the challenge. The rewards are much greater in the end for me. I am trying to replace all graphics of the original game and so far, I am doing a good job. 53 flats, 112 patches and 27 sprits in 5 days. WOW! I just surprised myself with these numbers. Maybe I should go out and do something for a few hours. This is what I love to do. I have been away from doom for 5 years and I’ve been busy with other game projects but It has always been doom lingering in the back of my mind and it’s good to be back. I wonder how long it will take for something else to take dooms throne. Maybe never.

I hope I grow up to be as enthusiastic and as wise as you.

Xanthier said:

I hope I grow up to be as enthusiastic and as wise as you.

After reading what you just said I went back and read all that everyone wrote to see if you were being sarcastic and discovered that I was being misleading about the amount of graphics I have replaced so far. Most of them are graphics from my old TC’s that I an recycling into my new one (from 5 years ago.) and others are ones that I took from quake graphics and made them fit the pallet or changed them to be more of something I made (like patches and flats). The sprites are just little things like rockets and ammo and decorative stuff, nothing as hard as monster sprites yet. Not everything that I have so far is going to be used in the final game so I’m not as impressive as I sounded. :)