Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MD922

S50 not working

Hello. I wanted to try Doom again after over a year break, but for some reason now, I can't do SR50 or SL50. I hold down forward, strafe right, turn right, and strafe on for SR50 but it doesn't do anything but keep me in place. The only way I can do SR/SL50 is by using strafe left/right, forward, strafing on my mouse, and doing the turn input by moving my mouse towards that direction, which can help me consistently S50 but for some tricks it isn't consistent. I am using PRBoom v2.5.1.4 and if you need more information let me know. Thanks.

Did you change your gear? Some keyboards have a thing where you can't register more than a certain number of inputs at once. 

It also became more widely known that some versions of prBoom+ allow two-key straferun 50, unbeknownst to most runners for some time, so since you do optimized movement-based stuff it'd be a good idea to switch to 2.5.1.4-k or 2.5.1.5. 2.5.1.5 changes the mouse code.

I don't use prboom-plus very often to play, but perhaps you have always-run enabled.  I think it is enabled by default. 

On 14/09/2017 at 10:09 PM, rdwpa said:

Some keyboards have a thing where you can't register more than a certain number of inputs at once. 

7 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

that fact that nothing seems to happen when you hold all those keys points to a ghosting keyboard

If only there were a way to strafe50 without having to press as many keys. Hmm! Perhaps I should write one.

1 hour ago, rehelekretep said:

im still using the 2-key sr50 version of prboom 😎

2 hours ago, RjY said:

If only there were a way to strafe50 without having to press as many keys. Hmm! Perhaps I should write one.

Isn't auto sr50 illegal?

For legit-proof sr50 with less keys you can go into the pr+ config file (or doom.exe config file) and set a turn direction to the same key as strafe on (or set all the sr50 keys to the same key). That's no different than turning on autorun in doom.exe.

On 17 September 2017 at 8:40 AM, MD922 said:

Isn't auto sr50 illegal?

Can confirm that I've been contacted by the local authorities regarding my auto sr50 use. Also, 2 key 4 life! Come at me.

On 9/17/2017 at 4:24 PM, TimeOfDeath666 said:

For legit-proof sr50 with less keys you can go into the pr+ config file (or doom.exe config file) and set a turn direction to the same key as strafe on (or set all the sr50 keys to the same key). That's no different than turning on autorun in doom.exe.

Yes, but then you can only do it in one direction, not both. That's the trade-off that people who used this set-up always had to make.

Yeah, I've had turn right bound to strafe on for about 3 years and am used to it. You can still sr50 left if you also drag the mouse. Btw, has anyone tried doing a 1-key sr50 demo just for fun? :)