Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fiend-o-hell

PANOPHOBIA - Community Project (Let's get this going again shall we! )

15 hours ago, pabloD said:

id like to selfishly withdraw my map from this project. since i never saw much progress, i started messing with it and now it has become its own thing and id like to have that version released as oppose to the one i made to this project. sorry, but it didnt look like it was ever going anywhere. my map is map03 [spellbound].

Thats a real shame, was definitely one of the maps that really captured the spirit of the project. But yeah, I can totally see how it was destined to life a life of its own.

Apologies for the necro-bump. What is the current status of this project? I'd like to maybe look at working on it again. I'm not going to lie and say I've spent the last two years learning how to map, but my maps were the ones holding this project up and it's a matter of honour to do something about it.

Could you give me an update on what's happening with my maps - Welcome to Hell, Temple of Forgotten Gods, Acid Reign? If possible I'd like to work on Acid Reign again, push harder into its "fear of the past" idea. And maybe do a couple of short/simple Running Scared maps. All my old work on the RS maps was lost, so I'll have to build them from scratch.

It's currently on hiatus, but every map slot has been accounted for. Please read the following @Major_Rawne:

On 3/6/2017 at 1:29 PM, dobu gabu maru said:

Hey guys, can't offer any updates as of yet, but I do have something important to bring up for everyone involved:

Since this project has fallen into my hands I've slowly been pushing it in a direction that's noticeably different compared to when it started. I've added a lot more of my personal touches to the project, and in order to keep it cohesive I've needed to go into other maps and tinker with them. Some levels have remained largely the same (Circulatory, Spellbound, Vertigo Limit), while others have received a facelift (Pain Consumes, Misfortune's Playground, Temple of the Forgotten Gods), and few a significant overhaul (Welcome to Hell, soon-to-be The Sigil). This isn't to say I'm turning each map into my style of map, but I'm definitely making adjustments to make them (as I see it) better while simultaneously retaining each individual author's unique vision. I haven't brought this up before due primarily to the small author pool (an oversight on my part), but seeing how the TNT 2 stuff unfolded I figured I needed to publicly admit this before Panophobia reaches its first beta (which is still several months off—don't hold your breath).

So, any maps contributed to the project are subject to whatever changes I deem necessary. If you disagree with this, feel free to PM me or state that you'd like your map pulled from the project. And if you'd like to see what has been changed on your map, I can send you a copy via PM.

Regarding your involvement, I honestly don't have anything else planned for you to work on. You've been a great help during a bulk of the project's development, but it's frankly a lot easier and a lot simpler at this stage to work with whatever changes I deem are necessary to the set, rather than try to coordinate or discuss how to move forward with someone other than mouldy. I'm sorry to say that Acid Reign has been pulled from the project since you've been absent, and I've slotted it into the "Panophobia rejects" wad along with Tomato Juice & The Sigil. Welcome to Hell has also gotten a lot of work done on it, but I've striven to keep Temple of the Forgotten Gods more or less the same. Hopefully you won't disappointed by Panophobia, whenever it eventually comes out.

Thanks for the quick reply. What was Acid Reign pulled for? I thought it was more cohesive and better looking than my other maps.

It was pulled for a couple reasons. The first being that the homages didn't feel strong enough for me, the second being that the gameplay was kinda unremarkable, the third being that it was too linear, and the fourth being that I wasn't keen on it referencing pwads so much (it feels specifically like a map made for the Doom community). I still contest that Temple is your best map and the one that exemplifies the spirit of the project best. Feel free to PM me if you wanna see what's been done to your maps.

Ok mate, will do. I never really looked at them as "Doom maps" so they lacked interconnectivity, ingenious traps, doubling back etc, and had they too many large scale outdoor areas. They didn't adhere Romero's long-proven laws. And when a mapper tries to build a Doom map that doesn't adhere to these laws, it requires a great deal more talent than I have to make it work. Guess I should stick to fanfic! :P

Development hasn't completely halted, fwiw. Since the last bump I've made 11 MIDIs for the project, with 4 (potentially 5? 6 at a push??) more to do. It's like Panophobia gets half an OST!

Welcome to Hell is very good by the way, I didn't play your original version to compare with, rawne, but in its current form: wow, what an opener! :D

lol that's actually very true, Eris has been amazing and very productive on the music front.

If anyone's curious about where development is at, I basically gotta get my ass in gear and make a few maps for the project (MAP18, MAP30, MAP31). The one map I don't have everything accounted for is the one PabloD pulled (MAP12), as I haven't found anyone able to fill that slot for me. Honestly I'd probably work harder on Panophobia if I could allay my fears about that one being replaced, as it was one of the "emotionally" strongest in the set and I need something of equal value or better.

If you're reading this and you're interested, shoot me a PM and maybe we could work on it together??? It's supposed to be a large desolate city map, and I'm looking for something of a similar size and scope. The one requirement is that you need to be something as a visionary, as the gameplay is going to be largely non-existent so the map is anchored solely in its atmosphere. I'm looking for slightly surreal and unsettling architecture too; if this tickles your fancy, get in touch with me :)

EDIT: actually it'd probably be easier that when you message me, send me a little map with one or two building designs so I can get a grasp on what you're picturing in your head, and the feeling your going for. The map's phobia is "Isolophobia", which is "The Fear of Being Alone"

10 hours ago, Eris Falling said:

Development hasn't completely halted, fwiw. Since the last bump I've made 11 MIDIs for the project, with 4 (potentially 5? 6 at a push??) more to do. It's like Panophobia gets half an OST!

Welcome to Hell is very good by the way, I didn't play your original version to compare with, rawne, but in its current form: wow, what an opener! :D

Dobu has produced something that retains a lot of what I wanted to do but wasn't skilled enough to implement, then adds a dose of visceral terror, as well as numerous amazing features. The original version was a rollerskate compared to a Ferrari.

On 4/1/2022 at 10:31 AM, resle said:

for the love of all that's sacred, this has to be completed.

lol, I appreciate the eagerness but Panophobia has been on hiatus until I finish my other commitments (three maps for three different projects). Rest assured that a good chunk of it has been completed, and once I get back to it I intend to keep working until it is done. 4 out of the 17 main maps are left to be made, as well as a massive slew of gameplay tweaks since I haven't tested this thing in forever. Plus I at least owe it to Eris to finish Panophobia eventually, as the tracks he composed are phenomenal. Probably won't see a 2022 release, but here's hoping 2023 may prove to be the lucky number.

Here are some screenshots in the meantime

XrXYtPz.jpg

5DuEq93.jpg

nCGloK5.jpg

IvUk7lj.jpg

mWe9QP6.jpg

kioQDEB.jpg

fnOKrl7.jpg

mONFVAs.jpg

I'm going to lock the thread in the meantime just so people don't get confused by the "Let's get this going again!" title, as I'm handling the final maps.

Don't worry—you'll be able to experience this twisted version of Hell eventually...