Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
inbtwn

How do you organize your .wad files?

So about a month ago I made a topic about how you all launch your DOOM mods, and all of you had some interesting ways to do that. My next question for you all is: how do you organize your downloaded map/mod files? Like, what's the folder structure? Do you keep them in .zip files or do you keep them in individual folders?

How I currently do it is:

D:\DOOM\iwads
D:\DOOM\launchers
D:\DOOM\maps
D:\DOOM\mods
D:\DOOM\sourceports
D:\DOOM\utilities

D:\DOOM\maps\1 - single levels
D:\DOOM\maps\2 - miniwads
D:\DOOM\maps\3 - episodes
D:\DOOM\maps\4 - megawads
D:\DOOM\maps\5 - deathmatch
D:\DOOM\maps\6 - jokewads

D:\DOOM\mods\1 - total conversions
D:\DOOM\mods\2 - gameplay
D:\DOOM\mods\3 - graphics
D:\DOOM\mods\4 - monsters
D:\DOOM\mods\5 - music
D:\DOOM\mods\6 - jokemods

and all the maps are currently in their original .zip files, however the mods are in their extracted .pk[whatever] forms. I think I might transition to using folders for the maps instead, so Doomseeker and whatnot can find them easier.

a big folder for IWADs and PWADs that aren't mine, and another folder for my stuff

D:\WADs - iwads and pwads

D:\DOOMRES - stuff I made, or extracted to use later for my projects.

D:\SLADE - Slade (duh)

D:\GZDB - GZDoom Builder

Edited by dmg_64 : little something

I just generally stick them in my downloads folder and delete most when I'm done. iwads are in their own folder in there also, since my all my source port files are the downloads folder. I could be more organized, but since most of the pwads get deleted, I don't bother.

maps - mapsets of all kinds, from single map WADs to not-32/not-36 maps WADs

megawads - for full fledged campaign WADs.

music - everything related to music, like MIDI replacements, GENMIDI replacements, etc.

hud - for the sexy awesome and useful huds

mods - for those gameplay mods that don't have any maps eg D4T, Smooth Doom, D64WEAPS, Ketchup, etc.

di - for experimental Freedoom stuff.

Slade , slumped, prboom-plus ,doom builder , oggenec2 and other files for encoding, iwads and pwads ,bat files as well as midi music and some other doom related stuff are all compacted together in one folder .

So to summarise briefly , I don't organise them . This is starting to make me feel ashamed :c

Good stuff so far, but I'm also wondering whether you guys leave your maps in .zips or just extract the .wad and .txt into the same folder.

I keep each map in an individual wad so I can easily modify & re-import it later without having to re-extract it from wad/pk3.

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/Editors/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/Editors/Node Builders/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/Editors/SLADE/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/Engines/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/Engines/Chocolate Doom/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/Engines/Crispy Doom/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/Engines/DelphiDoom/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/Engines/Doom Retro/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/Engines/Doom64 EX/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/Engines/Doomsday/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/Engines/GZDoom/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/Engines/PRBoom/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/Engines/PRBoom-Plus/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/IWADs/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/Mine/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/Mine/Extreme Terror/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/Mine/SoTNR/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/Mine/raven/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/PWADs/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/Resource WADs/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/Resource WADs/Box-o-Skies/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/Resource WADs/Converted to ZScript/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/Resource WADs/Enemies/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/Resource WADs/Fonts/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/Resource WADs/Texture Packs/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/Resource WADs/Weapons/

/mnt/storage/alexa-extended/bin/games/doom/brightmaps/

Essentially I keep everything divided up into folders based on their use.  I mirror a very small subsection of this (mostly just IWADs/ and PWADs/) on my laptop just in case I get the urge to play why I'm away.

I keep the zips in a separate folder and the actual wad files in another folder. 

As for my own creations, I just have different folders for each individual map (I don't have that many) and I edit the name by adding either " - FINISHED" or " - IN PROGRESS" to keep track of which is well finished or in progress haha. 

I sometimes also add " - CANCELLED". 

Organized? I better get on that. All my files are just dumped into a folder! Wads and zips and GZDoom all in one folder, with some of it spilling out onto the desktop.

For Doom 2, I have three folders: Good Stuff, Really Good Stuff, and Great Stuff.

For Doom 1, Heretic, and Hexen, I just have Good Stuff and Really Good Stuff (not that there isn't any great stuff, it's just that I don't need as much organization due to having much fewer wads). For Strife, I just have a folder with four zips in it called "Strife Mods."

Most of the time I just end up tossing wads in the general direction of my E:\Doom\wads folder without any sorting, or keep them zipped in C:\Users\EvilNeutral\Downloads and don't give a further fuck. I really gotta sort that stuff soon because looking for specific wads among all the other shit gets quite annoying. C:\ZDaemon\wads is also a rather unorganized mess but I think ZDaemon would bitch if I sorted that folder.

My own wad projects get stuffed into their respective subfolders of the E:\questionable projects folder so that's a bit more organized at least.

I have them all organized in a folder called Doom, inside this folder there're sub-folders, each of them contain a mapset and the source port of my choice (e.g. "Ancient Aliens", which contains pr/glboom+ and the files that came in the .zip file; "Heretic Treasure Chest", which contains the files and ZDoom; etc), like if they were different games. Also some folders with the source ports configured according to my preferences, so I just copy/paste them in future new folders. And finally a folder with sub-folders for single maps. 

On another folder called Doom Pwads (that should actually be called Wads) I have all the zip files and a sub-folder for demos. 

DoomBuilder 2 is somewhere in Program Files since I only use it to check for secrets. 

I just extract everything in a single folder. I make a *.bat file, it knows where the wads are thanks to DOOMWADDIR, and I usually remember their names. So organization doesn't really matter since I almost never have to actually look at the files.

I have a WADs folder in my Doom folder. That one contains a folder for each of the source ports I could find and a folder for the WADs I found online (this way I can drag WADs to the source port I want to open them with each time). The WADs folder also contains a sub folder called Complete, for the WADs I finished playing and a sub folder called John Romero for the new levels he released (those are really special, so they can't be placed with the rest of the WADs).

I dump everything into D:\Games\GZDoom\custom.

Run everything with customized batch files located in D:\Games\GZDoom beside the EXE.

Here's the overall mess:

org.png.b34d21ff832c637c3f3da6c773739112.png

The prboom-plus-2.5.1.5.r4526-win32 folder has most of the action. I just dump wads directly in there so I can drag and drop them onto the exe. I made a few shortcuts like __prboom.exe and ZZprboom.exe so I have more drag and drop targets spread out in the folder. I have some bat files for recording demos and doing other command line stuff. Occasionally I clean up the folder by moving the less-used wads and demos to subfolders. Same sorta thing goes on at a smaller scale in the gzdoom and zdoom folders.

D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Ultimate Doom\addons

D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Ultimate Doom\base (includes iwads, and ZDL renamed to dosbox so that steam runs it)

D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Ultimate Doom\engines 

D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Ultimate Doom\tools

D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Ultimate Doom\addons\doom

D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Ultimate Doom\addons\doom 2

D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Ultimate Doom\addons\mods

This also applies to doom 2 folder

D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Ultimate Doom\addons\doom\deathmatch

D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Ultimate Doom\addons\doom\maps (1-2)

D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Ultimate Doom\addons\doom\mapsets (3-19)

D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Ultimate Doom\addons\doom\mapsets (20+)

D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Ultimate Doom\addons\doom\OBLIGE

Every addon, engine, and tool has its own folder. Number next to map folders does not include secret levels, so a mapset with 18 normal levels, and 2 secret levels would be included in the (3-19) folder instead of the (20+) folder for example.

I keep everything in it's own folder, I also have a special folder for the mods I create. (So I can find them easier if I need to change something)

Doom/wads/[game]/

Doom/wads/[game]/singles

Doom/wads/[sourceport]/

Doom/wads/[sourceport]/singles

Doom/wads/music/

Yeah.  Nothing special.

43 minutes ago, T0aMasta32423 said:

Folders with set combinations of mods.

Y'know, like the minecraft mod part of the twitch app, but with a better game.

foldere.png

That sorta reminds me of how Quake handles things.  With it, single maps (.bsp files) go into id1/maps, while mods and all of their files get their own directory within the root quake/ folder.  If a single map requires a mod, it would go in [that-mods-directory]/maps instead.  It took me a while to get used to this method.

.../Zdoom/ -Contains the zdoom source port, and all of th IWADS, a ZDL launcher and a subfolder for every other source port i have (GZDoom, chocolate doom, zandronum, and doom64ex)

.../Zdoom/Wads -self explanatory, where every proyect i work on get's its own folder, and everything else it's thrown into this single folder

It's an odd habit to organize everything doom like this, but that's how i've been organizing my wads in the last 10 years (before that, i just threw everything into the same zdoom folder, because i was an idiot with no concept of organization)

i have all my unplayed wads in a 'wads' folder and i copy+paste the .wad file to the source port directory if i want to play it.

im sure i can setup a way to not have the wad files cluttering up the source port directory but i cant be bothered to look into it.

16 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

I have them all organized in a folder called Doom, inside this folder there're sub-folders, each of them contain a mapset and the source port of my choice (e.g. "Ancient Aliens", which contains pr/glboom+ and the files that came in the .zip file; "Heretic Treasure Chest", which contains the files and ZDoom; etc), like if they were different games. Also some folders with the source ports configured according to my preferences, so I just copy/paste them in future new folders. And finally a folder with sub-folders for single maps. 

On another folder called Doom Pwads (that should actually be called Wads) I have all the zip files and a sub-folder for demos. 

DoomBuilder 2 is somewhere in Program Files since I only use it to check for secrets. 

wait what so how many copies of glboom etc have you got then? how do you keep your config files all the same?

1 hour ago, rehelekretep said:

im sure i can setup a way to not have the wad files cluttering up the source port directory but i cant be bothered to look into it.

Go to the command prompt and type setx DOOMWADDIR C:\WADS or whatever the path is.