Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hoover1979

MacroStutter issues on GZDoom 3.1.0 (64Bit)

Hi I have been using GZDoom for some time and on all versions of GZDoom I used and on 3 different systems I owned I get this one big issue.  I get some serious macrostutter.

I ran the RivaTuner Statistics OSD and see that without the stutters I get constant 120FPS with about 30% GPU usage at 1759Mhz (Id love to get more GPU usage and trigger the turbo to 2150Mhz), but then I kill a bad guy, open a door or fire a weapon, even discover a secret and the FPS drops to 0 for a half-second and then 90FPS for another second, before going to 120fps again.   It's enough to stop me from dodging damage, and if I am at 1% health these stutters cost me my life (in game of course).  I also have the latest Ketchup Gore mod installed and set as "Overdrawn at Blood Bank" with the janitor disabled.  no ammount of splatter has dropped the FPS.  I hit a bunch of Imps with a BFG and litteraly painted the whole room red with a glorious bounty of gibs flying all over the place with puffs of blood all over the place and the FPS was stilll 120FPS. 

I am pretty sure the issue is audio related.  There is a sound always playing when the stutters occur.  either the "a secret has been revealed" sound a weapon firing sound, an enemy expiring sound, even the sound of a weapon packup.  I wish I hade more options for the sound backend besides OpenAL or No Sound.  but I set the OpenAL to its defaults with no EFX or HTRF and no Cubic/Spline interpolation, and there seems to be some improvement, but I don't want to tempt fate and say "The stutters are gone" as I know from experience they will be back with a vengeance. 

I was wondering if I could get some assistance on what could be causing this so I get get rid of the stutters once and for all?

I am using the 64Bit version of GZDoom 3.1.0 (the version with the hotfix that fixed the blur sphere glitch)

BIOS is configured as XMP

My CPU is an i7-4790k running at 4.4Ghz and cooled by a Corsair H115i Liquid cooler

My GPU is a liquid cooled Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming GTX1080 Waterforce

My RAM is 32Gb of Corsair Vengeace Pro 2400 DDR3

My Operating System is Windows 7 Professional x64

I am running GZDoom in 1920x1080 with 4xBRZ resizing on Textures, Sprites, Menu (basically the works)

4x multisampling (stutter even happens on no multisampling)

Texture Precache is enabled

Rendering is set to Quality instead of Speed

Sound Backend is OpenAL (this is the only Sound Backend option I can select)

On Doom I have my WIP UltraHD Textures enabled, but this stutter happens without them and in Heretic/Hexen, which have no HD content installed (Hence 4xBRz Texture filtering)

Ketchup v5 Gore mod used in Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, Heretic and Hexen/HexenDK

I output the sound to Logitech Z906 THX certified 5.1 Surround Speakers from a Creative Sound Blaster Zx

GZDoom is added to Creative ALchemy for better 5.1 Surround

RivaTuner, D3D Overrider and MSI afterBurner are active.  GPU is overclocked (Stutters happen at stock speeds and even uncerclocked)

Edited by hoover1979

To confirm that it is sound related you should run the game with '-nosound' to see if that stops it from happening.

I get stuttering too, usually the first time the secret sound or door opening sound plays during the session. Everything else seems smooth but I do get stutters there. Granted, I am still using versions with FMOD.

15 hours ago, Nevander said:

I get stuttering too, usually the first time the secret sound or door opening sound plays during the session. Everything else seems smooth but I do get stutters there. Granted, I am still using versions with FMOD.

Tried with latest version that has a newer version of openal dll? I tried with some shitty usb headset and never had a problem. 

16 hours ago, LuciferSam86 said:

I tried with some shitty usb headset and never had a problem. 

How would your headset affect game performance?

Since the problem seems to be the audio part, an usb headset behave like another audio device with its own driver. And I don't have any stutters with latest gzdoom with that usb headset. With previous version with fmod and earlier openal dll , i had some stuttering.