Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clay

Looking for WAD Feedback (UPDATED)

Hello all. I have been working on this mod for about 3 weeks and wondering what you guys think of my style and such.

It needs some/lots of fine-touching and a little resource placement changes and I going to add different then vanilla music.

--Before I continue doing this the way I am, I would like some end-user feedback and criticism.--

--I am really just looking for criticism for the look and feel of levels 3-4, I have worked lots on them--

I have only tested it with GZDoom. You will need a Doom2 IWAD.

I designed it to be open with:

-Brutalv20b.pk3

-The DHTP. - http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/addons/dhtp-alterations

DOWNLOAD LINK(Updated): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B552QrTYpMdudUhFNFhRdVBvVk0

ATM you MUST use the brutalv20b.pk3 or will find there is "no player class defined". I cannot speak to what it would look

like without the DHTP as I have not yet tried it. You could run it without but here would be an awkward mix of high and low res textures.

NOTES:

-Ignore the clusterdef(intermission) messages, they are incomplete.

-There are 5 levels and no exit or EndGameX for the final level. 7 Levels in Total

-Also on the final level there are not many resources (feel free to cheat).

- I recommend "Hurt Me Plenty" but that is just me.

Thanks in advance for any help and I hope you enjoy my WAD as much I have enjoyed

making it.

Cheers.

PS: Thanks to everyone who has helped get this far.

Spoiler

CREDITS:

Brutal Doom v20b: by Sergeant_Mark_IV

Resource Contributors"

Mike12, Captain Toenail, Revilution, David G., Eriance, Perkristian, Dr. Doctor, Crucux Duo, DoomNukem, JoeyTD, Das_M, Pa1nki113r, Jekyll Grim Payne.

v20b Beta Testing team:

Marcin Oprzadek/Martinoz, OccultWarwolf666, Gilded, wretchedspawn, HairyHog, Robin "NailGrind" Halliday,, Doom Space Marine, JonouchiJoestar, TastySnax, Doctor Nick, DeathHeadsSkull, Peter "Supermarauder" Phethean, Austin Glan, Anthony Preis, Erx, theundeadsoldier, Justin (COTC) Hill, Fiorello1, Outrageous Videos, Iain 'Guy from Mt. Erebus' Lockhart, , Doomguy5th, Capt. StarFox, , SikSlayer, LordCeno, Alexis Bousiges, , Braunschweiger™, Reverend Hammer, Hellstorm Archon, JULKIssLoGAN, Jason Lopez-Ota, Charles "Maxigose" Phethean, Husarious, Engendro Venereo, Mooooooooooooo, TreAn, Michael Lusty-Smith, MaciejMaciejewski, Anthony "Ace-101" Nemitz, RobSpratt, Old_Glory_1776, Med1evil98, Pockgor Kroskni, GhettoButta, Cybermarine, Miguel371xd, HigorHuann, Fusions, Neskormi, Levente Lukacs, Agh07BR, JinnX, M4cron, Lozkho, Urizen, David Bellis, JRMYXD, mekanchest, Armyghy, TheDoomGuy.MG,  KevDOOMER, Brutal Doomguy, Blasboy97, supra107, Mr. Goth, "lordsudo", Mephisto, AnthRaXXX, Ph0b0SS, goldsteed.

-------------------------------------------------------------

SMASHER SHOTGUN Sprite & Decorate:

Submitted: Captain Toenail
Decorate: Captain Toenail
Sprites: ID Software, Monolith Productions, JoeyTD
Sounds: ID Software
Sprite Edit: Captain Toenail
Idea Base: Striker shotgun

-------------------------------

PRYO DEMON Sprite & Decorate:

Submitted: Maelstrom
Decorate: Maelstrom
GLDEFs: Dreadopp, Sandypaper (Brightmaps)
Sounds: Id Software, Monolith Games
Sprites: Id Software
Sprite Edit: Eriance, Maelstrom
Idea Base: Archon of Hell by Eriance

-------------------------------
TERMINATOR Sprite & Decorate:

Decorate: Vader
GLDEFs: Dreadopp, Sandypaper (Brightmaps)
Sounds: Id Software, Blizzard Entertainment, Vader
Sprites: Vader, Eriance (cannon base)

--------------------------------

HAEDEXEBUS:

Submitted: Ozymandias81
Decorate: DeVloek, Ozymandias81
GLDefs: Ozymandias81
Sounds: 3DRealms, FreeRadical Design, Eriance
Sprites: yuraofthehairfan, zrrion the insect, Eriance
Sprite Edit: Ozymandias81
Idea Base: An hellish simple variant Volacubi-like monster for Doom

--------------------------------

OVERLORD:

Decorate: Eriance, Blue Shadow, MagicWazard
GLDefs: Eriance, Dreadopp, Ghastly Dragon, Keksdose, MagicWazard
Sounds: Eriance
Sprites: Eriance

Edited by DemonusDefunctus : Update

Just out of curiosity, is there I reason I have yet to receive any feedback or suggestion?

Have I violated some rules? GZDoom and brutal too specific?

I can only speak for myself, but I'm not really found of Brutal Doom gameplay, I like more classic Doom stuff.

The screenshots look good, though!

Okay for any modders or people who know about the key config...just delete clearplayerclass and it will run without brutalv20.pk3.

I still highly recommend using the DHTP.

EDIT: nvm Now there is a problem with the weapons.

Edited by DemonusDefunctus : Foot in mouth

OK delete the keyconfig file its self...duh.

No as challenging (or at all) without the brutal doom changes. At least its till pretty.

I just played around with it for about a good 20 mins. I really love the doom 2 level redesign. Looking forward to seeing this completed. By the way, what are you naming this? "For Testing" isn't a very fitting name.

HAHA Not a good name indeed. I was actually consider doing a community sort of vote. I have glossed over things like Red Doom. Doom Red River..or something. The basic story is that a bastard and hated son of the devil has taken over hell and wish to avenge the father that never acknowledged him. He threatens to again bring hell to earth unless the doom slayer is provided for execution at gladium.

All I need is Ketchup and a smooth weapons mod like Perkristian's smooth weapon anims or VGA's BlackOps mod. That's my Brutal Doom.

I really don't want to download Brutal Doom again just to try out a new WIP mod. I could just open up your mod and fix things myself, but eh.

I'll download this when a "clean" version is available.

Well is isn't finished and removing the KEYCONFIG launches and plays fine. Thanks for the feedback though. It was always my intention to make it play well without BD.

Found an issue with map 02. Near the exit.

Screenshot_Doom_20170902_135240.png.23cb63ca6e5dce1ac345c6fada5f6007.png

002.png.92cb44a95f22f6e06e3267b61424f138.png

I find myself thoroughly enjoying this map set, I do hope to see you finish this.

Those were captured marines from brutal doom. I was playing around with BD stuff and must have saved it in there. You should not see it again.

How is the difficulty/play style so far? Thanks for trying it out man.

Edited by DemonusDefunctus : Grammer/Spelling

1 hour ago, DemonusDefunctus said:

How is the difficulty/play style so far? Thanks for trying it out man.

I feel its pretty balanced seeing as how I didn't have too much of a difficult time with my playthoughs. (play on UV difficulty) Then again, I am a rather decent doom player to begin with. Looking forward to future progress with this map set.

I played this with Brutal Doom and on Realism Mode difficulty (I just like the fact that I can kill monsters with a few shots on this difficulty :D ).

I liked this WAD a lot! I would love to see the finished version of it :)

A few things I have noticed:

Spoiler

Map02 The Beneath: The exit door has a fence, I found that weird :D

Screenshot_Doom_20170903_234750.jpg.e47fd72fc125af5be89c4a2980fe2ff9.jpg

Map03 Masons Quarters: This little empty room, which opens when I hit the switch. I am not sure of its purpose.

Screenshot_Doom_20170903_235236.jpg.5827bb5cc9d4b05289627e150f1455c4.jpg

It's possible to walk through those two fences.

Screenshot_Doom_20170903_235550.jpg.9a8bf7aa1e3e21e16ee445f0600bcf5c.jpg

Map06 His Personal Villa: Some door key indicators there would be nice, although I didn't really need them.

Screenshot_Doom_20170904_003231.jpg.4a01342fa5086b13d906af6753bd43d4.jpg

Edited by rodster : I was fiddling around with the screenshots and somehow couldn't upload them, and I noticed that I mixed up Black Metal and Realism Mode :D

2 minutes ago, rodster said:

I played this with Brutal Doom and on Black Metal difficulty (I just like the fact that I can kill monsters with a few shots on this difficulty :D ).

Hide contents

On Map02: The exit door has a fence, I found that weird :D

It seems that level two needed some attention. I have fixed both issues mentioned in this thread. I am glad you liked it. I really enjoy doing this!

You also may or may not notice some weak bosses..that was for testing and will be much more difficult in the final version.

Everyone feel free to report any and ALL bug or issues you run into. I would really like my fist WAD to be perfect.

Question for advanced users. I was playing around with 3d floors and have some good concepts in mind. Am I right in assuming that using 3d floors would force the end user to use GZDoom/ZDoom?

7 minutes ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Yes, you're right. 

Hmm....The presents me with a problem.....troubling indeed.

58 minutes ago, rodster said:

I played this with Brutal Doom and on Realism Mode difficulty (I just like the fact that I can kill monsters with a few shots on this difficulty :D ).

Reveal hidden contents

Map02 The Beneath: The exit door has a fence, I found that weird :D

Screenshot_Doom_20170903_234750.jpg.e47fd72fc125af5be89c4a2980fe2ff9.jpg

Map03 Masons Quarters: This little empty room, which opens when I hit the switch. I am not sure of its purpose.

Screenshot_Doom_20170903_235236.jpg.5827bb5cc9d4b05289627e150f1455c4.jpg

It's possible to walk through those two fences.

Screenshot_Doom_20170903_235550.jpg.9a8bf7aa1e3e21e16ee445f0600bcf5c.jpg

Map06 His Personal Villa: Some door key indicators there would be nice, although I didn't really need them.

Screenshot_Doom_20170904_003231.jpg.4a01342fa5086b13d906af6753bd43d4.jpg

Fixed.

1: No more cage

2: Empty room is for an ambush> i have yet to decide which monster for each difficulty. Also it is activated before the switch press.

3: No more passable cages. :D

4: Not long after posting this wad test, I got rid of that door entirely.

Thanks for your feedback!

I believe I am getting very close to release and I am ready for some feedback.

Anything AT ALL that is wrong, please tell me. You do not "Need" Brutal doom to run and play.

Most of the reason I am asking for criticism on this is that The combat difficulty is very different from Vanilla to Mark's mod

and I would like so feedback/suggestions on How I could make the more vanilla combat balanced for the player. 

I hope you enjoy playing my Wad and I look forward to your suggestion/feedback.

There are 7 maps starting at MAP01.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B552QrTYpMdudUhFNFhRdVBvVk0

Spoiler

INSERT BOTH Chandeliers.pk3 and BeastsandWeapons.pk3 into your load order / .ini

They are both need to play without errors.

IWAD - Doom2
SourcePort - GZDoom - 3D Floors, decorate, etc are used
Jumping/crouching - YES
Difficulty settings - YES
Custom weapons - YES - Slot 8 when picked up.

*Doom in Doom Format*

-Use a widescreen setting or the Clusterdef messages will look awful.

- I recommenced Also loading with the DHTP found here:
  http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/addons/dhtp-alterations

- I personally recommend using the Brutalv20b.pk3 as the combat is designed with that in mind. But it will load and play with DOOM2.WAD but I cannot guarantee balanced combat difficulty.

- I recommend you use openGL renderer. There are torches and such with dynamic lighting and canot guarantee great visibility in some parts without them.

Edited by DemonusDefunctus