Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Visplane Overflow

I'm no musical critic, so I don't have anything useful to say. Listened to these for 3-4 times already. The accent in the second track betrays the source, but not the exact one - where are those voice clips from?

12 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

I'm no musical critic, so I don't have anything useful to say. Listened to these for 3-4 times already. The accent in the second track betrays the source, but not the exact one - where are those voice clips from?

It's Arnold Schwarzenegger from "Kindergarten Cop." 

E1M1 COVER! Finally.

Went for a hard rock/speed metal thing here more than the thrashy foundation of Bobby's (Metallica's) riff.

Love the "false start" (main riff, - sike - back to E chuggs). Love the progressive build up. Love the trills starting right before 00:34.

I gotta say: After that buildup, I was ready for the bottom to fall out and my face to get fried off with a barrage of wicked 32ths @ 00:45. Regardless, some very solid riffs follow.

Nice transition @ 01.41, and nice (dis)harmonies @ 01:50. Interesting end sequence. A solid piece, very cool!

Only had time for this one atm. I'll check out the others as time permits.

11 hours ago, kb1 said:

Love the "false start" (main riff, - sike - back to E chuggs). Love the progressive build up. Love the trills starting right before 00:34.

I gotta say: After that buildup, I was ready for the bottom to fall out and my face to get fried off with a barrage of wicked 32ths @ 00:45. Regardless, some very solid riffs follow.

Nice transition @ 01.41, and nice (dis)harmonies @ 01:50. Interesting end sequence. A solid piece, very cool!

Only had time for this one atm. I'll check out the others as time permits.

Those might sound like disharmonies at 1:50, but according to the source I used to cover the tune, the second half of E1M1 doesn't use the the same melody on both guitars; rather, Bobby made some interesting use of major and minor thirds on the descending notes, which are not as resolute as perfect fourths or fifths, but do provide a nice "chunkiness" with the amplification. The idea I had for this cover was a slower tempo that solos the entire riff, then goes back through it more "traditionally" with those major/minor third harmonies.

I sometimes don't use the proper term when I describe stuff. What I should have said is that the intervals you used created a kind of tension that "went along for the ride", alongside the main melody, and that I thought this was a very cool sound!

Couple questions: Are those recordings of you playing, or is it like a MIDI composition, where the computer is playing back your pre-written composition? I guess what I'm asking is: Does that site take a sheet music file, and render the song using its choice of instrument sample, or do you just submit a wav/mp3? (Sorry for being clueless about it. I might like to submit a couple of tunes one day.)

Again, a cool, refreshing take on a song that's no stranger to being covered! Good job.

So, Im not a music expert, I dont even know how to play a flute. But I can tell you this, I love this. 

On 9/14/2017 at 8:43 PM, kb1 said:

I sometimes don't use the proper term when I describe stuff. What I should have said is that the intervals you used created a kind of tension that "went along for the ride", alongside the main melody, and that I thought this was a very cool sound!

Couple questions: Are those recordings of you playing, or is it like a MIDI composition, where the computer is playing back your pre-written composition? I guess what I'm asking is: Does that site take a sheet music file, and render the song using its choice of instrument sample, or do you just submit a wav/mp3? (Sorry for being clueless about it. I might like to submit a couple of tunes one day.)

Again, a cool, refreshing take on a song that's no stranger to being covered! Good job.

I program the music in FL Studio using the piano roll, which is akin to virtual sheet music and more or less resembles a grid where you plug in the notes. Each instrument has its own grid, whether it's the drums, guitar, bass, etc. The riffs were written using a synthesizer whose articulations (pinch harmonics, palm muting, unison bends, etc.) are triggered by low notes outside the tonal range of the guitar, eliminating the need to automate various effects. The distortion is handled by a separate effect called an amp simulator.

EDIT: As for your questions regarding the site...no, SoundCloud doesn't do that. It's just a place to post your music. However, FL Studio and other DAWs (digital audio workstations) can generate sheet music.

Edited by GoatLord

I'm working one one called "Quad Damage" which uses the famous sound effect of the powerup throughout the song. I was inspired by the industrial, almost dubstep sounding intro for N64 Quake 2, which samples the quad damage as an instrument.

On 9/16/2017 at 7:26 AM, GoatLord said:

I program the music in FL Studio using the piano roll, which is akin to virtual sheet music and more or less resembles a grid where you plug in the notes. Each instrument has its own grid, whether it's the drums, guitar, bass, etc. The riffs were written using a synthesizer whose articulations (pinch harmonics, palm muting, unison bends, etc.) are triggered by low notes outside the tonal range of the guitar, eliminating the need to automate various effects. The distortion is handled by a separate effect called an amp simulator.

EDIT: As for your questions regarding the site...no, SoundCloud doesn't do that. It's just a place to post your music. However, FL Studio and other DAWs (digital audio workstations) can generate sheet music.

It's amazing - the guitar riffs sound very guitar-like. Good stuff.

2 hours ago, kb1 said:

It's amazing - the guitar riffs sound very guitar-like. Good stuff.

Thanks. Electric guitar is exceedingly difficult to emulate due to the unique overtones generated by the complex frequencies of amplification. It's only been in the last decade or so that plug-ins and amp simulators have been able to generate a convincing sound. 

18 hours ago, GoatLord said:

Thanks. Electric guitar is exceedingly difficult to emulate due to the unique overtones generated by the complex frequencies of amplification. It's only been in the last decade or so that plug-ins and amp simulators have been able to generate a convincing sound. 

You're welcome. And, I know it's difficult to simulate - it's not just about clipping. I tried my hand at generating an overdriven single string sound from an acoustic sample, and...it wasn't very realistic. Didn't sound bad, just not like that sweet fuzz sound. The best I ever got approached that "double-fuzz" Sabbath N.I.B (which is awesome), but it was just too harsh and unnatural. You nailed it!

Again, thank you! I've been doing synth guitar for over a decade and I've finally gotten to the point that it sounds pretty decent. I've got some stuff in the works such as an E3M8 (Facing the Spider) remix, plus some really aggressive gabber/metal and some funky industrial stuff. As I experiment the realism of the guitar tones and the general cohesiveness of the project is increasing.

On 9/16/2017 at 5:11 PM, GoatLord said:

I'm working one one called "Quad Damage" which uses the famous sound effect of the powerup throughout the song. I was inspired by the industrial, almost dubstep sounding intro for N64 Quake 2, which samples the quad damage as an instrument.

I am a major fan of Aubrey Hodges' work; were you able to make progress on the "Quad Damage" track?

Nice job with the guitar amp tone. When I use a DAW I use FL Studio too, but I was never able to get a great guitar tone. So I haven't made any metal tracks for a few years. I think maybe my pickups with my current guitar might not be the best, but I am only guessing.