Scuba Steve

Cacowards 2017 Mentionation Thread

3 minutes ago, Vorpal said:

the argument here against recognizing non-mappers

Who did say that?

4 minutes ago, Vorpal said:

And the "art/music doesn't exist outside the map"

Again, who did say that?

I would rather see some new separate thing about music\etc, not random categories shoehorned into Cacowards.

Plutonia 3 (oh, bad wad category doesn't exist)

Rise of The Wool Ball

if im not too late i would like to submit my own mod if thats allowed.

Has loadsa content average gameplay lengh of 2+hours, interesting and unique stages and boss fights.

On 8/3/2017 at 0:46 PM, Major Cooke said:

I saw a post that said you can still recommend them, in last years thread.

On 8/3/2017 at 0:52 PM, Major Cooke said:

Last year, someone said cacowards are not limited to just the same year of the release. They make a new thread each time.

On 8/3/2017 at 0:47 PM, nxGangGirl said:

It's the current year right now. And the thread says "Mentionation".

On 8/3/2017 at 1:00 PM, esselfortium said:

Barring some sort of extreme circumstances (I have no idea what they would be), if something wasn't released this year, it's not eligible for this year.

On 8/3/2017 at 1:02 PM, Eris Falling said:

I think it's allowed for WADs released in the later months of last year as they came out very close to the publication of the Cacowards - not WADs that came out years ago.

On 8/3/2017 at 5:05 PM, an_mutt said:

The 2017 Cacowards are specifically for mods made or posted in 2017. Who cares if a few posts in previous threads have stated otherwise? 

Is it release or update? From what I remember hearing if something has a significant update to it (maps or mods) they are eligible from the date of update as if it were a release date. This isn't relevant to triplex.

I guess it depends on the kind of update, for example it'd be a huge difference if the update just fixed some bugs than if it added new maps that were considered Cacoward worthy on their own.

+1 for "Original Music specifically for a doom mod" award, provided the judges consider MIDI and real audio on equal footing (so judge mostly on composition and use of the available sounds)

You could call it the OMSFADM award

Yes I think that musical and other artistic forms of Doom editing should be covered in Cacowards more often in future. For example: I use combination of Open MPT, Anvil Studio and rarely Sekaiju to compose music. Open MPT is software I have never heard of anyone mentioning in midi threads. It has it's limits, but at least it supports pitch bending and speed set and can export different drum kits.

Im all for cacowards for musicians and the like.

Whether it is a "best original composition or something" or "Musician of the year" is for the writers to decide but the doom community has transcended mere mapping.  If modding warrants its own category (as well it should!) so should music and perhaps making resources/textures.  Or just giving a special recognition to resource providers.  Something not quite lifetime achievement and also not quite mapper of the year but "hey this years lineup of cacowards probably would have been quite different if not for the contributions of this particular person".  I dunno.

As FATE would have it...

I just sent in a news article for Doomworld and did a search only to figure out what forum to post it in.

Guys... There's a big music project in the works from:

Tolwyn, Klem, Doyle (with help of some friends, JD Herrera, and some help in a fun way from Jimmy and his brother)...

Here's the press release I just sent to Doomworld:

The Souls of the Dead Sing again...

Requiem, a Doom II "Megawad" was released on Independence day (July 4th) of 1997. It was a huge success in the Doom community that featured many of the same designers that worked on Memento Mori and Memento Mori II.

The soundtrack that was composed for the project was also unique; it brought together three great Doom Community composers: Mark Klem, Jeremy Doyle, and David "Tolwyn" Shaw.

Now, twenty years later, the same three composers have come together to re-record, re-release, and re-imagine the soundtrack song by song to give you the Requiem soundtrack like you've never heard it before.

Klem, Doyle, and Tolwyn have re-entered their studios to develop a fresh take on the soundtrack that accompanied Requiem.

With a few surprises and a few special guests, a November or December release is scheduled. You've heard the re-mixes, you've listened to the many soundtracks on Youtube. Now it's time to bring the original composers together to do it THEIR way.

Stay tuned as they bring you the (no) reward winning soundtrack...

Requiem... Reimagined.

All songs re-imagined. New bonus material to be released.

This isn't really the place for it, though that sounds interesting all the same. Sounds like you're taking them out of MIDI and doing these with real instruments?

Not midi, and already sent the news release. Doomworld has changed a bit, so I never know where to send what.

Super Mayhem 17 for doing something new, doing it well, and with surprising consistency for a humble community project.

3 hours ago, trello said:

+ Inquisitor 3 

+ Run For It 

@trello Both of these wads are ineligible for this year's cacowards because they were both release last year before December 10th. 

Also I'm putting my vote for Super Mayhem 17 too :)

Edited by Philnemba

I mentionate the Heretic Upstart Mapping Project. It may not be a full limit removing Heretic WAD but it shows how well the community can map for Heretic. I think Heretic deserves much more love and this mapset may just cause a spark.  The project was nicely led and I think the map design is worthy of a Cacoward. Also fraggle participated :P

If Mayhem16 counts for 2017 the notion alone should warrant mordeth consideration.  Mayhem 17 got its start time delayed a week because Mayhem 16 had done this.

Yes I started the project as well as the tradition of increased pushback of released but I didnt do shit with 16 *<:)

14 hours ago, Philnemba said:

@trello Both of these wads are ineligible for this year's cacowards because they were both release last year before December 10th. 

Also I'm putting my vote for Super Mayhem 17 too :)

Be sure to repost this in the 2017 thread, heh. Honestly, a project of this scope getting parachuted in at the last moment possible... there's no chance for us to appraise it fairly. Most on the caco panel were busy fact checking for their articles rather than playing huge ultra-ambitious super-late November/early December releases. Spoilers, NEIS isn't grabbing a 2016 Cacoward either. That said, nothing should be snubbed just because of its release date, it may just need to wait a little longer than usual, heh.