Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skeletonpatch

What type of archaic/unusual/unconvetnional control schemes do you use?

Personally for Doom I use an unusual setup for my standard controls, I don't use the modern WASD setup unless it's required for a mod. I don't use the classic Doom control scheme either. I move forward by pressing down the mouse wheel, strafe by holding down right click and moving the mouse left or right, in games/mods that require it I jump with "V" (for vault), crouch with "C", manage the inventory with "X, Z, N and Enter" (next item, previous item, drop item, use item), look up and down with "\ and Shift", centre view with "B", fly using "F, D and S" (fly up, down and stop), reload with "R", throw grenades with "G" and toggle third person with "L" (as in look).

For most games outside of Doom I use the standard WASD control scheme since most truly 3D games are impossible to control fluidly with the unconventional thing I just wrote above. You'd be surprised by how smooth my Doom setup works!

How do you like to control your PC games? Do you use the standard WASD setup adopted by most modern games? Do you like to bind everything to the keyboard and no mouse? Do you have like 35 buttons on your mouse and bind everything to that and ignore the keyboard? Do you plug a modern console controller into your PC? Are you ultra retro and use a '90s joystick? Do you use that massive Xbox Steel Battalion controller for everything? Do you just wire a bunch of bananas together? I want to know!

I use arrow keys for movement and all the keys around it and the numpad for stuff. I've tried WASD and can't use it.

32 minutes ago, Red said:

Xbox 360 controller for fighting games

I know, I'm insane.

Jesus H. Christ, man, redeem your sins! 

12 minutes ago, Nevander said:

I use arrow keys for movement and all the keys around it and the numpad for stuff. I've tried WASD and can't use it.

I used to play CoD 2 and Unreal Gold like that, just for some nostalgia fun. 

I still use arrow keys with all games. Its easier as I'm lefty with a mouse. Why am I lefty with a mouse? Because the important keys are on the right... most importantly is enter, backspace and delete. Then again, most keyboards run into issues when using 2 arrow keys and a third special key.

29 minutes ago, Piper Maru said:

I use a piano to Doom.

That video was you?!? That's amazing! How hard was it to rig that up?

1 hour ago, Piper Maru said:

I use a piano to Doom.

The first "Piano Doom" video to pop up, that seems pertinent to this is for a channel with a game called, "Mosh Pit Simulator" is that you?

That game trailer is hilarious.

If I had a Rift/Occulous I would totally buy it. 

If that's not you.

Oops, how embarrassing.

2 hours ago, Skeletonpatch said:

That video was you?!? That's amazing! How hard was it to rig that up?

48 minutes ago, everennui said:

The first "Piano Doom" video to pop up, that seems pertinent to this is for a channel with a game called, "Mosh Pit Simulator" is that you?

That game trailer is hilarious.

If I had a Rift/Occulous I would totally buy it. 

If that's not you.

Oops, how embarrassing.

LOL no, that wasn't me.

Kind of off topic, but I feel like my dream gamepad would have a d pad which can allow you to press both l+r and u+d at the same time, six buttons to the right of the right analog stick instead of the usual four (think genesis 6 button), three sets of analog triggers, the usual clickable analog triggers, the usual 3 to 5 buttons in the center (start, select, xbox orb/playstation button) and all of the face buttons being pressure sensitive. Basically a controller that can allow me to use the same controller for genesis 6 button, n64, and ps2 games. Also gyroscope/ dualshock 3 type "six axis of freedom" and dualshock 4 style touchpad. An all in one gamepad for most uses. Obviously this wouldn't include specialized cases like wiimote, racing car wheel, flight sim type joystick etc... but it would help with reducing the amount of controllers needed...

I still play Descent with just a keyboard and no auto-leveling.

Spoiler

A/Z for forward/backward

Ctrl is fire primary

Space is fire secondary

Alt is to slide up/down and left/right

S for afterburner

F for flare

H for headlight

R for rear view

1-0 for weapons

Numpad 8/2 to yaw down/up

Numpad 4/6 to pitch left/right

Numpad 7/9 to roll left/right

I do the same for Terminal Velocity, with basically the same layout.  For pretty much any other computer game, I go with a keyboard and mouse, with the exception of Gundemonium Recollection and emulators, where I use an arcade stick.

1 hour ago, fraggle said:

[Video]

Try explaining that to the police when you get pulled over!

Is that the same guy who programmed the toasters to be controllers (the ones that were obviously fake since his movements in game were much more varied than he had toasters)?

4 hours ago, fraggle said:

I like to think ad revenue for the toaster video paid for the Porsche 

10 hours ago, Piper Maru said:

LOL no, that wasn't me.

Oops, how embarrassing.

I'm curious how many people use Spacebar for jump. It seems really common, but I've never found that as intuitive as right click on the mouse. Spacebar is always "use" for me.

My keyboard spacebar has a picture of a little human figure looking like jumping. Alternatively it could be sitting and drinking.

I used some wsad like controls but on the other side of the keyboard when I tried keyboard on the right hand and mouse on the left hand.

I usually bound Z and C to scroll item inventory left and right, and X to activate item.

16 hours ago, Nevander said:

dude i used to do this and i implore you, change now before its too late!

in fact, do one better and go ESDF (more keys to the left of movement)

I use TGFH control scheme on doom, because my keyboard is broken as heck itself and I need use working keys for moving through those demons.

5 hours ago, everennui said:

I'm curious how many people use Spacebar for jump. It seems really common, but I've never found that as intuitive as right click on the mouse. Spacebar is always "use" for me.

I use middle mouse for use and space to jump. And of course wasd to move