Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mayomancer

Thoughts on the Medal of Honor franchise

Alongside Doom 3, i played a lot of Medal of Honor (Underground on the psx, AA, PA, Airborne), and in my opinion the games are pretty awesome. The series was also a big landmark in the FPS genre, and it's arguably the origin of what would become the modern generic Battlefield and CoD style of shooters.

Wonder if anyone is also fond of this kind of slower paced first person shooters? Since the gameplay itself is so different when compared to Doom and other similar games.

I was also kind of dissapointed with the direction the franchise took with medal of honor 2010, it was not a bad game and maybe there weren't many other options left since the franchise can't be WWII shooters forever but it kinda lost it's identity in a certain way.

I didn't play the PlayStation ones since I never owned a console (except the PS2 but I didn't own much FPS on it) but Allied Assault and its expansions were pretty cool and interesting when those first came out. Of course I'm probably a bit biased because I'm a huge WWII nerd but...

However, once I played the first Call of Duty, MoH got blown out of the fucking water. I remember being blown away by the sound design and general chaos of CoD 1, especially that Stalingrad level. Hearing the MG42 actually sound terrifying like the real world reports from our soldiers who heard that thing... they didn't call it Hitler's buzzsaw for nothing! Most games get the sounds all wrong when it comes to HMG's, but CoD 1 nailed it.

Damn....the MoH franchise (which, honestly, was buried by the CoD series) was really good and fun to play it. Playing the campaign and the deathmatch mode, especially for the PSX games, was a blast. I played almost all of the MoH games, except the modern Medal of Honor, Airborne and Pacific Assault. One of the main reasons that I liked it was the fact that you can shoot to the enemies to a specific part and the enemies will behave differently (obviously a headshot is an instant death). The music was also great, especially for MoH 1, Underground and Frontline. And also, as a franchise that has the WW2 topic, you could learn some history imo...and I think that in European Assault, the franchise went down.

4 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Damn....the MoH franchise (which, honestly, was buried by the CoD series) was really good and fun to play it. Playing the campaign and the deathmatch mode, especially for the PSX games, was a blast. I played almost all of the MoH games, except the modern Medal of Honor, Airborne and Pacific Assault. One of the main reasons that I liked it was the fact that you can shoot to the enemies to a specific part and the enemies will behave differently (obviously a headshot is an instant death). The music was also great, especially for MoH 1, Underground and Frontline. And also, as a franchise that has the WW2 topic, you could learn some history imo...and I think that in European Assault, the franchise went down.

Pacific assault campaign was one of the most memorable of the series, imo. If i'm not mistaken you can take it for free in Origin, it's worth a try if you liked the other games.

3 minutes ago, GhoulDesecrator said:

Pacific assault campaign was one of the most memorable of the series, imo. If i'm not mistaken you can take it for free in Origin, it's worth a try if you liked the other games.

I see. Also, I LOVE the eighth mission of MoH: Underground.....dancing dogs, dogs driving tanks, dogs with a bazooka, killing automated dolls, suicidal enemies....the most wtf gameplay ever and it's also really hard.

Well I should say that CoD and Battlefield have kept other military FPS games on their knees. But, still, I appreciate the fact that Medal of Honor had still tried to stand on their own, like most forgotten shooter games like Crysis and F.E.A.R.

Oh, and by the way, I absolutely HATE the GBA port.

Medal of Honor was a franchise I enjoyed, though I only played the ps1 games, Allied Assault and a few of the later ones.

When I was young I remember being so delighted by CoD1's superior production value that I kinda forgot about AA, but I still had some fun with it in multiplayer, that was more memorable to me than CoD1's MP.

It's one of the very few realistic first person shooter series I've ever cared for. I've played through the original and Allied Assault. Allied Assault in particular is really, really good. Just an all round excellent game with a real attention to detail and historical accuracy. But man, those snipers can be massively obnoxious to deal with at times. 

Medal of Honor: Underground was probably the best. I revisited it in like 2010 on emulator, the controls were crappier but I remember playing it on original PSX and controls were better, was fun with the cousins and all that pre-2005. 

Original, Underground, Frontline + Airborne = great

Rest = either meh or never played

Also yes as leodoom noted, great soundtrack in those early ones.

Medal of Honor: Airborne was a quality singleplayer experience with a questionably terrible multiplayer that had spawn kill as a selling point.

Bit of an odd anomaly that one.

I've honestly never played any of the PC games, just the PlayStation 1 titles and the few MoH titles on PS2.

The first two MoH games on PlayStation 1 are classics in my opinion. They have a very cinematic style to them that not many games were able to achieve at the time. Of course that style is mostly thanks to Steven Spielberg, and I think he did a great job directing the game. I think a lot of people these days would complain about the campaigns being too linear, but when viewed through the lens of games in 1999, I think it's pretty good especially considering the limitations of the PlayStation.

I also had a lot of fun playing the derpy splitscreen multiplayer.

I played and enjoyed MoH: Allied Assault with all expansions, Airbourne was okay too but very short and a little more multiplayer orientated like Battlefront. I also played Pacific Assault but I didn't really enjoy the Japanese war setting and some of the gameplay mechanics seemed off.

Edited by Avoozl

I like it, i've played both PS1 games and i've played Allied Assault, currently i'm playing the Spearhead expansion and the music is excellent, Michael Giacchino did an amazing job with the score, it fits perfectly with the atmosphere and theme, as for the reboot and it's sequel, i could care less, they ruined what was a great franchise and because of the faliure that is Warfighter, MoH is dead, thanks EA, but then again, that's what EA's best at, ruining a franchise and killing it.

Allied Assault was definitely the peak of the series imo, from the great mission design (Apart from the sniper town level, fuck that level) and the terrific multiplayer everything that came after it didnt come close to replicating the quality of AA.

4 minutes ago, vinnie245 said:

Allied Assault was definitely the peak of the series imo, from the great mission design (Apart from the sniper town level, fuck that level) and the terrific multiplayer everything that came after it didnt come close to replicating the quality of AA.

Yeah, that level was... ugh.

2 hours ago, vinnie245 said:

The part when you have to kill the guys trying to blow up the bridge is the most frustating thing ever, there would always be a guy to show up right when i had no bullets.

I only played the first one on the PSX. It reminded me an awful lot of Goldeneye (mission objectives, location-based hit animations, no jumping, reloading, holding down a shoulder button to move the crosshair). I only got past the first set of levels because, for the life of me, I cannot play stealth and spy missions worth a damn.

Fun fact: The team that developed MoH:AA went on to form Infinity Ward and we all know what they made.

3 hours ago, Pencil of Doom said:

I like it, i've played both PS1 games and i've played Allied Assault, currently i'm playing the Spearhead expansion and the music is excellent, Michael Giacchino did an amazing job with the score, it fits perfectly with the atmosphere and theme, as for the reboot and it's sequel, i could care less, they ruined what was a great franchise and because of the faliure that is Warfighter, MoH is dead, thanks EA, but then again, that's what EA's best at, ruining a franchise and killing it.

COULDNT CARE LESS. COULD NOT CARE LESS.

>.<

Irregardless used to be censored because people kept using it when it would mean the exact opposite of how people meant to use it, heh.

On topic - regards Airborne the only thing truly wrong with it was the short length. Six missions, c'mon.

5 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

On topic - regards Airborne the only thing truly wrong with it was the short length. Six missions, c'mon.

Six?????

what a letdown....the original had 22, I think...

The original was 21 or 22 yeah and Underground was closer to 30 if I remember rightly. Frontline wasn't far behind that either.

But yeah, Airborne was given a measly six.

You could argue they're big maps and get kinda difficult so they take a while, but then so were the levels in the original game. Man I used to spend like an hour trying to figure out where to go in 4-3 (the one after the mustard gas factory).

They were probably the fathers of the WWII genre in videogames, but... now, they are almost forgotten. 

I don't know if I've ever played a better war map than Stalingrad from Allied Assualt. Fun times. This is when I was good at FPS games. 

I mean, just look at it. You could do all these crazy jumps, and get places really quick.

I'd love to fire that game up, and give it a go.

Medal of Honor: Airborne is by far the best FPS I've played so far.

Im yet to play a First Person shooter thats better. 

I really love the cover system in that game along with the nonlinear objectives system.

The only games that come close to it for me were Shadow Warrior 2013 and Blood Dragon.