Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

What was your first PC game?

Oh, computer, when I appreciate and love you have won throughout my life, apart from the typical problems of freezing or viruses ... I still have great affection because I have managed to know the best means of entertainment and art in my life .

In this case, video games.

So I came to the first point of my question, what was my first PC video game?

With great pride and nostalgia I can say that it is one of the best video games that can be, my first PC video game was nothing more than Unreal Tournament 2004. Imagine for a small child the great emotion that must be felt when finding the laptop of your uncle turned on the menu of an incredible video game while you see the interface passing and you hear an incredible song as you navigate through this with letters that you can not even read. And of course, with patience and time, I finally discovered how to start a game.

tumblr_ma43s3dknB1r5cmqwo1_500.gif      Yes, this is how you introduce a game.

It was something incredible, fascinating, amazing, left me with my mouth open, I was so admired by the simple idea of being able to control something inside something. In this case, I was more than happy to have made the discovery of the century (For me) a videogame so epic that even the name itself described how I felt playing it, unreal.

A few hours later while my butt was being kicked by artificial intelligence and I barely discovered the famous system of WASD, my uncle arrived and I found myself in full streak of -20 deaths ... but of course he is an excellent gamer and he did not take my laptop from me, but he taught me how to play and to put the options that I wanted. And so with a few more hours of practice, I discovered how to play my first PC game correctly. Destroying vehicles with the triple rocket launcher while catching nodes in Torlan listening to that awesome music is a feeling that few games could give me again, using the minigun against waves of robotic enemies that made fun of me every time they killed me, something completely new to me, shoot my powerful flak cannon against the enemies and see how in a single shot your whole body was shattered, it's just too much fun. Playing Unreal Tournament 2004 for the first time was a special odyssey that my mind could barely process, I was simply thrilled to the core, at that time for me the world of technology was something almost magical, and finally being able to control it and feel it was like having the holy grail in my hands.

Over the years I have become quite good at FPS games and I ended up discovering and buying the entire saga of Unreal Tournament, the memories I have with this game are surrounded by feeling and joy. Although I never get to play Unreal Tournament in multiplayer until many years later, in my time and with the resources that we had decided to develop a simple and fun method. If they kill you, it's my turn. Oh, how great it was to be small and not worry about anything other than beating Malcolm on the final level. It was and still is an excellent game and would do anything to recover that feeling of fascinating joy of playing it. A fact, an excellent game.

tumblr_m9g3cr5t081r5cmqwo1_500.gif

So I finished telling a little story of my first PC video game, tell me now, what was your first PC game?

PS: Sorry for bad english.

My families computer in 2000 came with the tank game Recoil, I got Quake III Arena in 2004 while I was attending TAFE.

Edited by Avoozl

You mean like, the first PC game ever played, or owned? The first PC game I played would have to be something like Asteroids. A friend I used to hang out with as a kid, owned a Windows 3.1 computer and after school hours we always played Asteroids together. The version of Asteroids we played was great, because it featured multiplayer (two players on one keyboard), and colourful graphics. Very addicting!

The very first PC game I purchased (in one of those big glorious boxes) was Need for Speed 2: SE. I'm actually not sure why; I detest cars and racing games... :'D I guess I was swayed by my friends or something.

All I remember it was some Pool game where the theme of the level changed every level, One was with bombs and the other was something about Rockets. I would laugh everytime because everytime the cue ball would fall into the hole, it would make a fart noise.

I don't recall exactly, but the earliest games I remember "playing" (as in, flailing on the keyboard randomly) were the old Win 3.1 game Bow and Arrow, and the DOS RPG "Betrayal at Krondor" which my uncle let me play for a few minutes. I clicked around randomly and apparently somehow managed to reboot the computer, which pissed off my uncle so much he never let me play anything on his PC again.

Spell-o-copter on one of the elementary school computers in the mid-80's. If that's not what you meant, then it was either Castle Adventure on our 286 or Zork on my friend's TRS-80 a couple years after that.

If you meant a game with more proper graphics, then I think it was Police Quest 1 (the EGA version with the text input, apparently properly called Police Quest: In Pursuit of the Death Angel). I remember a friend telling me that when you play Police Quest, you actually know what you're looking at, as opposed to Castle Adventure (which we were playing at the time), where it's all ASCII characters.

Probably either The Incredible Machine, a puzzle game which I remember loving.

the-incredible-machine-2.png

the-incredible-machine-5.png

Or Word Rescue, old DOS platformer for kids. Commander Keen was a better game to get into not much later.

Word_Rescue_Plus_-_DOS_-_Title.png

Word_Rescue_-_DOS_-_Level_1.png

I remember my father having a Windows XP PC and I had bought GTA San Andreas boxed from ebay (it must have been around 20 dollars at the time), after I first saw the game on my cousin's house. He rented it to play with his friend and me and my family were visiting my uncle and aunt that day, so I got to play a bit.

It seemed great and when it arrived, I unboxed it full of joy. It was from a German seller and he even had a mini bag of Haribos inside the game box.  :D

When I started the game, I got the classic nvidia logo (the way it's meant to be played) and I started a new game, but I went around for some time with cheats (weapons, armor and money, no police, e.t.c.). I reached the villages with the Jetpack and I went in some shops before getting bored.

Then, the other day I noticed that I could do missions and from that time I spent 1 month on the missions (I was 9 years old, so some things seemed really hard and the game was very large compared to other games).

Later, I remember many guys in my school (my friends too) enjoying the game and it became something we all had to know and love or at least try once in our lives.

Jumpman for the Commodore 64 (technically a computer even though there's calculators with more memory).   IBM type would be Eye of the Beholder (I think)

First game I ever played on PC was either DOOM, Duke Nukem I, Bio Menace, Commander Keen, In Search of Dr. Riptide, Jazz Jackrabbit, or some other shareware game.  I can't remember.

First full version (not shareware) game I owned was probably Quake II or Commander Keen in "Goodbye, Galaxy!".  Both were bought brand new long ago.  Quake II was the "Essential Collection" DVD case release by Activision, and Commander Keen was the big box release by GT Interactive.

I played Quake II a lot.  So much that the disc suffered wear and tear until it cracked and became unreadable.  I still have the keep case insert (keeping it, of course), and I've since gotten a replacement disc.  I've never owned the big box version of Quake II; I don't know if it's worth the money.  Is the box embossed or such?

As for Commander Keen, I still own both floppies and the manual, and unlike my original Quake II disc, they have remained in great condition.  Sadly, the box is long gone.  I never got a replacement box as the prices for Goodbye, Galaxy these days are absolutely insane.  I try to keep all my game boxes in good condition now.

I believe mine was RollerCoaster Tycoon 2. Or if not, it was among the first PC games I ever played anyway.

I'm not sure. I think my dad bought a few games for us kids.

It was around the end of 1998 when my family got our first PC.

The first four games that we got were.
Motorcross Madness
Ace Combat
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Quake 3 Arena

The first games I got for MY first PC were Doom 3, Oblivion and Quake 4. 

Edited by everennui

Besides Doom? I guess unofficial Mario clone on win95 and Pipe Dream on the same old machine. 

49 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

The first time I got in touch with PC gaming was when I programmed this little game:

http://www.abandonwaredos.com/abandonware-game.php?gid=1245

Before that I was primarily a C64 user.

The graphics remind me of an Amiga 500 game. Sweet.

So your first venture into PC games was a programming project? That sure is interesting! Kind of hard to believe for someone like me.

I'd played console and 8-bit home computer games for years by the time I finally played a PC game.

download.jpg.32c6a9bd73021c31681f75e0d49aef4a.jpg

It was Scorched Earth, a turn-based thing that (to my mind as a teenager at least) made Worms redundant upon release. Trying to come back to it as an adult, it's clunky as fuck and I don't know how I even managed to judge the shots, but somehow I did. And the later (and REAL TIME!) Death Tank Saturn game/Easter egg totally blew both out of the water, but still...

21 minutes ago, Agentbromsnor said:

So your first venture into PC games was a programming project? That sure is interesting! Kind of hard to believe for someone like me.

It was my first venture into PCs, not my first venture into games programming. I had done stuff for C64 and Atari ST before that.

Wolf 3D would have been my first experience with PC games, shareware Doom was the first PC game that I 'owned'. I'm boring.

Lol I think that my first game I have ever played it's actualy Doom. I was 7 years old when my dad show it to me. I really loved Doom since then.Oh and again sorry if I wrote something wrong, I am Romanian.