Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mayomancer

How would you like your morning Doom, sir ?

So, how do you set things up with the graphical options of your go-to source port when it's time to kick some neo-progressive demonic butt ?

It's a very personal thing, i know. Some keep true to the vanilla side of the force, and stick to Chocolate Doom whenever possible (or even dosbox, and and i have no doubts some nostalgia maniac hidden within this community still keeps a 486 pc just for playing Doom), some play with higer resolutions while not straying much from the path of the 90's (lo-fi ZDoom configs ?), while others go whole into the nicest and bleeding edge GZDoom hot stuff. Some people like to push the extremes and even have Brutal Doom installed ! Crazy, right ?

There's so many shades of gray it's hard to list, so tell more about your way to have fun with Doom!

Edited by GhoulDesecrator

I prefer vanilla if it's an option -- DOSBox for iwads (since GOG's package is so convenient and I don't have to mess with anything) and Chocolate Doom for pwads. If it's limit-removing I go to PrBoom+ on software mode in its lowest resolution.

Haven't touched anything ZDoom or GZDoom-specific yet.

The preference isn't out of nostalgia, since I'm a recent player -- about a year ago. I do prefer to play games as they were originally released though, or as close to it as possible. I also just think Doom looks better with its original low fidelity!

Edited by Cipher

I love chocolate doom and use it whenever possible. I do keep (G)Zdoom and prboom+ on hand though as they each have capabilities that I find useful. At the end of the day I'm pretty agnostic as far as source ports go and use whichever I think is most appropriate for what I want to play. and how I want to play it

Anything in vanilla and limit-removing with Crispy, anything in Boom with GlBoom+, and specifics in ZDoom. I have played the iwads in Dosbox, with all the lag that comes with, not anymore. Also, I used to prefer the lowest resolution (320x200) but since Ancient Aliens I changed to the highest resolution because I couldn't spot a single hidden switch in map 15. Now I prefer higher resolutions as I can contemplate the visuals much better, and it does feel much smoother in combat. No translucency, 32-bit. 

Modern sourceports and modern features with mods like Brutal Doom. I use to run 3D sounds, Dynamic Lighting etc but reverted back to classic due to user maps not designed for them. In addition it didn't accurately reflect how most people would experience my maps when testing.

Edited by Chezza

I am particularly fond of Crispy Doom since I prefer the "feel" of classic doom but I like having higher fps. And of course, I use gzdoom for mods and custom maps. I tend to hop around source ports for the potential of finding something interesting.

Gzdoom because it plays whatever you want and looks good.  With smooth and / or some other cosmetic add-on.  1440p because that's my monitor 's native resolution. 

On 9/25/2017 at 9:12 AM, GhoulDesecrator said:

Some people like to push the extremes and even have Brutal Doom installed ! Crazy, right ?

You think that's crazy... I heard there's a Doom 3 and Doom 4 which don't even use sprites!

I prefer prboom-plus for darn near anything -- I can tweak its compatibility for everything short of ZDoom-only stuff, I can customize controls and display settings, and I can record demos.

Zandronum for multiplayer, and maybe for the occasional odd ZDoom maps. Historically, I've used (G)ZDoom almost exclusively, but now that I've got my own PC I can finally set things up to my liking.

2 minutes ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

I am a sinner, I know.Screenshot_Doom_20170904_234421.png.b83bc0a20e2d41b9fd30079e67fc4788.png

>:0

Jokes aside, some people are serious about the purist stuff but i dont expect any kind of spanish inquisition.

Just now, GhoulDesecrator said:

>:0

Jokes aside, some people are serious about the purist stuff but i dont expect any kind of spanish inquisition.

hqdefault.jpg   Thats because nobody expects the spanish inquisition! 

2 minutes ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

Thats because nobody expects the spanish inquisition! 

*Dramatic sound effects play as the spanish inquisitors enter the room*

I like to Quake 3 while Doom 3 plus Doom 4 in GZDoom, sir!

RGPq5E4.jpg
Despite the map for the joke, many times i tend to play vanilla or with my mod the megawads with this graphical setting.

1 hour ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

I am a sinner, I know.Screenshot_Doom_20170904_234421.png.b83bc0a20e2d41b9fd30079e67fc4788.png

Hey I recogni- OMG WTF DID YOU DO TO MY BABY?!?!

j/k, play it however the hell you want ^_^

On 9/25/2017 at 8:12 AM, GhoulDesecrator said:

So, how do you set things up with the graphical options of your go-to source port when it's time to kick some neo-progressive demonic butt ?

GZDoom with the hardware renderer, no extra mods, bloom on, GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR, 16x anisotropic filtering, 1920x1080 or higher, that nifty new dynamic light shadow thing on unless it makes the wad look odd, freelook, no jumping, no crouching, no HQX or similar, dark sector mode, no banding, standard fog, enhanced night vision off, smart sprite clipping, shadow fuzz style, smooth particles, tonemap off, lens distortion off, ambient occlusion set to the highest, no FXAA, scaled status bar, no alternate hud unless I'm testing, and and no MSAA because it was causing graphical glitches with bloom for me.  I also load my own remastered music pk3 when playing the original IWADs so I don't have to listen to the FM or SoundCanvas-ish versions any more.

That's basically my default.  Only when I'm on my laptop do I change it up by using the software renderer since it can only do OpenGL v1.1.  Or if a level/mod calls for a specific setting or port, then I'll temporarily modify my default to reflect that.

Usually GZDoom at 1920x1080, hardware renderer, Standard lighting mode but otherwise default graphics.

Occasionally ZDoom at 1920x1080 or Chocolate Doom at 640x480.

10 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

GZDoom with the hardware renderer, no extra mods, bloom on, GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR, 16x anisotropic filtering, 1920x1080 or higher, that nifty new dynamic light shadow thing on unless it makes the wad look odd, freelook, no jumping, no crouching, no HQX or similar, dark sector mode, no banding, standard fog, enhanced night vision off, smart sprite clipping, shadow fuzz style, smooth particles, tonemap off, lens distortion off, ambient occlusion set to the highest, no FXAA, scaled status bar, no alternate hud unless I'm testing, and and no MSAA because it was causing graphical glitches with bloom for me.  I also load my own remastered music pk3 when playing the original IWADs so I don't have to listen to the FM or SoundCanvas-ish versions any more.

I've always tried to not stray from the software renderer whenever possible for some reason, but this is so detailed i feel like experimenting with all the Gl options! Pretty much the opposite here, ZDoom with 640x400, brightness set slightly up, screen size set to maximum with that sweet little hud ZDoom has. Timidity++ with the sc55 soundfont (sometimes the instrument set from the BFG Edition port, too). I've been trying to migrate to prboom+ but i still figuring out how to set the sound options the way i like there.

I play mostly coop so I play and test most of my maps with Zandronum. The GL renderer in Zandronum is extremely slow so I use the software renderer with highest resolution my hardware allows. If Zandronum does not support something I'll use GZDooM with hardware renderer (because it works really well).

In gameplay settings I disable auto aim and enable freelook.

4 minutes ago, GhoulDesecrator said:

I've always tried to not stray from the software renderer whenever possible for some reason, but this is so detailed i feel like experimenting with all the Gl options! Pretty much the opposite here, ZDoom with 640x400, brightness set slightly up, screen size set to maximum with that sweet little hud ZDoom has. Timidity++ with the sc55 soundfont (sometimes the instrument set from the BFG Edition port, too). I've been trying to migrate to prboom+ but i still figuring out how to set the sound options the way i like there.

heh, well I first played Doom when I was 9 or 10 years old, which is when it first came out, and never had a 3D-capable video card/chip until I was 18.  So for me, abandoning the pixelated look of the software renderer was a big deal, hence why I don't really use it these days.  It just doesn't give me the sense of nostalgia that it seems to do for others.  Same goes for the FM/sc55 renditions of the music.

A very long time ago, when I tried some ports and my interest for Doom reemerged, I stuck to Zdoom software renderer and played exclusively with keyboard, even though I was playing already few modern FPS mouse+keyboard. One reason of course, viewing up/down in software rendering is very distorted and motion-sickness inducing. I later tried GZDoom among other accelerated ports and somehow I couldn't stomach it. First, the non-crispy visuals, then even if up-down was fine, something else in the visuals (the whole bluriness of the texutre? The different darkness? Not sure) would make me motion sick. Later, I needed freelook for Brutal Doom, so I came back to GZDoom. I got used to it somehow and play exclusively accelerated GZDoom, mouselook of course (with invert Y) and tend to enable those -highres texture quality refiltering options.

So, yeah. With this and mainly playing maps with BD, I can say I really got spoiled :)

3 minutes ago, loveless said:

revenants on stairs

Obscene language.

With extra cup of coffee and sugar, please ;)

Alright, for being serious now, I mostly use open gl Doom ports, because my eyes can't stand for some software things. I don't bash it, just trying to save my eyes from tiredness.

Software, vanilla resolution, capped framerate, no gamma correction. It just doesn't feel like Doom otherwise.

I have extra pinky bacon with some eggs for my breakfast....

I can use OpenGL ports for it, don't care about filtering though....