Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

Moments where you truly were freaked out

The game started freaking me out once I got to the Enpro plant. As a kid, the levels would take me longer to get through, especially for my first time, and the four alpha labs levels started to drag on. Then, all of a sudden, you have to kill a spider boss, the lost souls get freakishly introduced, and you're given the plasma gun. All that coupled with the changed atmosphere of the enpro facility made it feel like things got kicked up a notch. Delta labs did a similar thing.

On ‎25‎.‎02‎.‎2017 at 8:43 AM, Voros said:

^IIRC that's the room where you find the joke PDA about how to do proper human sacrifices with goat blood.

what the hell, which room is that? And what level??

they took my baby truly freaked me out. The baby crying, then the demonic laugh from the mother afterwards. Eeeeeee

Dead Space is a super horror game, it is so fucking freaky, you guys should give it a try 

On 7/2/2017 at 9:16 PM, CzechMate29200 said:

what the hell, which room is that? And what level??

It's actually a terminal, not a PDA, and it appears in Delta Labs after you return from Hell, right before the exit to Central Processing. The terminal itself is corrupted and displays a red background with a pentagram and says evil things on it instead of the usual UAC interface. The message will be downloaded to your PDA as an email when you interact with the terminal.

DOOM 3 is so cliche and full of predictable monster spawns and monster closets that any creepy atmosphere it does manage to build gets dulled by the actual gameplay.

On 7/2/2017 at 7:16 PM, CzechMate29200 said:

Dead Space is a super horror game, it is so fucking freaky, you guys should give it a try 

That game is a yawnfest.

In terms of horror it is indeed a yawnfest, but it was still pretty fun back when I tried the first two games.

It really wasn't scary tbh, even as a 12 years old kid, the game was way too much predictable when further progressing through it. I had fun times on it back in time though.

What freaked me out was how all the toilets (the fixtures, not the restrooms) had faint "ahhh" breathings be heard from them. Also, no water in them. I always assumed there's a network of infection, and since how long?

The awesome thing of this being fictional is that you can't even research this stuff going on like you would in real life. You're at the mercy of authors, who may not even be willing to reveal what is it about.

There is this area somewhere during the midpoint in the game where several monsters are being held in glass vats. One of the vats had an imp that jumped out towards the glass. This moment may not be particularly 'spooky', but it certainly made me jump. I felt very disappointed in myself afterward.

On 7/19/2017 at 0:45 AM, printz said:

What freaked me out was how all the toilets (the fixtures, not the restrooms) had faint "ahhh" breathings be heard from them. Also, no water in them. I always assumed there's a network of infection, and since how long?

The awesome thing of this being fictional is that you can't even research this stuff going on like you would in real life. You're at the mercy of authors, who may not even be willing to reveal what is it about.

That would be one hell of a google search.

I've been replaying the game for the first time in like 4 years, and I'm playing with the Overthinked Doom 3 mod.

Honestly I am not scared at all. It's really hard for me to get into horror games. I see Imps and I just think of all the lines of code dictating their movements. I see things flying off the wall and I just think of the thing I did to trigger that in the map definitions. :/

As a kid, I was terrified of Doom 3, but as an adult who knows mapping and programming, I no longer really can get into games like I once did. I do however appreciate and like the world they built, and I really like the story Doom 3 conveys and what not. I fucking love the PDAs and their audio diaries. I wish there were more of them.

Lost Souls and Cherubs give me anxiety. Every time I hear their alert sound I get a little jittery and paranoid. I wouldn't say 'fear' or 'scared' so much as it's just a certain eagerness to get the hell away.

Oh, same with the Maggots also. I think it's the jerky movement that makes me uneasy. And the weird sounds they make while they creep along the floor and then suddenly pop up in your face.

When you only have your fists and you first encounter a Demon/pinky

When you expect a jumpscare but it doesn't come

But, most of all, the BFG Edition's loading time.

Edited by _42_

The whole first half of the game had me freaked especially with the flashlight system. But a neat story I have for a friend is better suited.

My friend, Mike, finally was able to spend the night with be back in the day. We lived in a trailer in GA and I had the bed against the wall. Anyway the first time the imp jumps out at you REALLY STRUCK HIM BADLY. He leaped backwards and fell out of an open window and landed on the tow hitch attached to the trailer hitting his head on the way down. He took my xbox controller along with him. After that you could not mention the game without getting him paranoid. The guy had nightmares for weeks after...I felt bad.

Last night I was replaying Doom 3 for the first time in awhile, with a good pair of headphones and surrounded by the darkness of autumn. I find that even though I am very familiar with Doom 3, it still can get under my skin and give me the chills. The soundscape in this game is truly haunting.

15 hours ago, Piper Maru said:

The audio logs were pretty spooky as well.

THat's one of my favorite parts about Doom3 or like say Bioshock did it really well too. Flavor text like that really builds suspense and establishes depth and immersion. The early parts of Doom 3 are the freaky parts to me, you get used to the jump scares after awhile, but the audio logs stay spooky lol.

For me it's either the lost soul's first appearance, or the scene with the pinky. Those left the biggest impression on me when i was younger. I always fall for every jumpscare though, even after playing the game so many times.

Recently I was reading through the Doom 3 novels Worlds on Fire and Maelstrom, the depiction of hell is a little different than what was in the game. It essentially takes place in subterranean tunnels and massive caverns where the rock walls and floor/roof have a skin-like texture. John Kane, the D3 marine wonders if there is even a sky. It's described having noxious air, screams and howls coming from every direction. There is also a constant red light that emanates from somewhere. He also discovers a corral surrounding humans with demons torturing them. And there is also a massive throne which belongs to hell's "mightiest" warrior, the Cyberdemon whom is absent at the particular moment. On the throne sits the Soul Cube. It's a pretty nifty battle to get the Soul Cube as there is a horde of demons defending it. After that the Doom 3 guy has to make his way back to Mars, and the insane pleading humans have escaped from the corral and are following him, it's all pretty surreal.

Also, one thing I really like in the Doom 3 novels that didn't appear in the Doom 3 game was the fact that the zombies, over time were merging/melding with various forms of weapons. Scissors, knives....CHAINSAWS.

Edited by Piper Maru

As much shit as I give Doom 3, I can't deny that the Pinky banging on the door did kind of freak me out a little, mostly because I had low health on my first playthrough and I knew that when he came in I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. I was relieved when he went for the glass instead, actually.

21 hours ago, Piper Maru said:

Also, one thing I really like in the Doom 3 novels that didn't appear in the Doom 3 game was the fact that the zombies, over time were merging/melding with various forms of weapons. Scissors, knives....CHAINSAWS.

There are chainsaw zombies in Doom 3 BFG Edition. Not so much the scissors and knives.

Just now, _42_ said:

There are chainsaw zombies in Doom 3 BFG Edition.

I know. They were also in the original Doom 3 version. But in the novels, there were zombies who had a hand replaced by a chainsaw, kind of like Ash from Evil Dead, only instead of self surgery, supernatural fusion of metal and flesh.

I'm not remembering the facility so well since my last playthrough so nothing memorable from any areas inside or around it.

Either way, that being said, I found Doom 3's version of Hell as a whole to be pretty disturbing. While I can't point out anything particularly mind-blowing about it, the atmosphere, the design and music really managed to give me a strong uneasy feeling, occasional chills, and a desire to get out of there asap. Definitely one of the best takes on Hell I've seen, and horror in general tbh, without overused gore and garbage seen nowadays.

On 6/27/2017 at 8:14 AM, Doominator2 said:

Doom 3 never really scared me, probably because I was expecting to be really scared compared to what was really offered.

Typical "tough guy" attitude right there. He probably had trouble playing past level 2 because he was so scared. Give me a break. 

I think one of the ones that first got me when I first played was in the tunnel in communications transfer just after u exit the airlock, in the room where you hear the loud bang every so often and the lights would dim red. Now I thought oh it’s just gonna be the whole monster behind the door trope so I ready my shotgun and as soon as it opens idk wtf it was but the head of something bursts through and I jump so hard that my glasses flew off my face and I nearly flung my controller across the room

7 hours ago, Malidict said:

I think one of the ones that first got me when I first played was in the tunnel in communications transfer just after u exit the airlock, in the room where you hear the loud bang every so often and the lights would dim red. Now I thought oh it’s just gonna be the whole monster behind the door trope so I ready my shotgun and as soon as it opens idk wtf it was but the head of something bursts through and I jump so hard that my glasses flew off my face and I nearly flung my controller across the room

I knew that something was up because of the armor being located right in front of the door where there was a massive amounts of blood and bodies everywhere. In fact, the first time I played the game I just ignored the armor and did not even pick it up at all lol.