Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TootsyBowl

What's Doomguy like in your mind?

I imagine he's just some nerd that just want to get back to somewhere with internet to watch his favorite anime. The only reason hes even doing all this, is so he can find out what happens next time on Dragon Ball Z!

He's devoid of personality and I forget about him. Now that I think about it... maybe he's just a creep that likes watching me play video games like I'm a Let's Player for a solo audience.

10 hours ago, DoctorFrickinRetro said:

You know, Ive never played God of War.

You should. :)

"When you've spent the better half of your life in a constant war zone, you learn to hate the peace."

As for my interpretation of Doomguy, he started off like anyone else who had been kicked down the galactic toilet due to a stint with his former commanding officer. He was new, green, and optimistic that he would somehow change the world, at least until that incident. For a while, he was stuck in some podunk outpost watching restricted flicks and playing cards with his new buddies. In regards to the latter, he did think of his new buddies as his only friends, as he had been something of a shut-in before he joined the Marines.

The distress call came, and he was the only one left behind to guard the dropship his squad had came in, armed with a dinky little pistol. First the casual chatter came on the radio, then the sound of some animal growling, and then the gunfire ensued. The last thing he heard before the screaming started was Elton John's "Rocket Man," his new CO's favorite tune. The last thing he did before he started vomiting in Hangar E1 was having to shoot one of his new friends right between the eyes, now a cannibalistic puppet with a ravenous appetite for human flesh.

Over time, the artifacts he had found (both man-made and Hell-made), the scar tissue both his skin and his organs had accumulated, and his developed taste for demon flesh, had shaped him into something else entirely. He could now shrug off injuries that would kill a normal man, his strength and physique now equaled the bruiser brothers he once had nightmares about, and his ravenous hatred for the demons has now turned him into something of a legend.

He was no longer a scared young kid trying to survive. He had become a disciplined and hardy warrior who did the impossible daily. 

As years passed by in Hell, he felt abandoned by humanity. He came to realize that human beings would only be obsessed over killing each other and being on top of the food chain (especially if it meant using demons to advance their goals). He grew to hate humanity almost as much as the demons. The only thing stopping him from turning his gun on other human beings is that bright and optimistic young marine who vowed to make the world a better place one day, who happens to still be a part of him.

Besides, at least he still has the demons to play with, and at least he's now made Hell itself into his humble abode.

Something about the crackling fires in the distance, the cool rain just outside the caves where he rests, or the quietness of some ransacked demon stronghold, it all fills him with a deep feeling of serenity.

It's been years (or possibly centuries) since he first shot his former friend. Now he travels through space and time, eviscerating every demon that he can find.

Edited by Man of Doom

I imagine him as the manual described him, the hardest space marine to suck vacuum or so. A disciplined elite fighter who goes on when everything seems lost. Not the crazy guy from the comic.

Sorry off topic:

When i read all this stuff i think one of the reason why doom is so popular is doom marine himself. Doom is not like other games where game tell us who main character is and what he doing and  didn't left any space for fantasying. Doom didn't tell anything about him and we see him how we want it to see him so we dont hate him but love him and game too. When i hate main character i don't like the game much too and thats not case with doom.

Srry for english

Beneath that pile of muscle and cold, armor platted exterior, he's a very swell guy. The kind that volunteers as a football coach for teens who can't afford to join a team, as well as to help raise money for charity. Also he helps his mother with the dishes.

He's still the same guy desperately searching for ammo and weapons to fight the forces of hell.  The atmosphere Doom had when it released has stuck to me all the way up to today. He's the only man between hell and earth whether he likes it or not, and the situation is desperate.

He plays undertale in his free time and tries to be pacifist. Idk why. It's not the best example, I know.

2 hours ago, Pirx said:

I imagine him as the manual described him, the hardest space marine to suck vacuum or so. A disciplined elite fighter who goes on when everything seems lost. Not the crazy guy from the comic.

I prefer the crazy guy from the comic. To me, that's the best version of Doomguy that exists. 

Deeply, deeply, deeply fucked up.

He's killed so much that it's an ancilliary action now. He's not unlike a former human, in a sort of detached daze as he guns down countless Hellspawn. One of the reasons he works mostly alone is because he has to stop himself from reflexively shooting other Marines as he rounds a corner, owing to how many zombies have contributed pinkish bullet scars into his torso by now. When he walks down a ruined street, other Marines stop short and stare at him with gazes that are half respectful and half incredulous. His reputation and power have reached the point where the Marine Corps simply directs him to the biggest demon staging areas if they wish it to be cleared.

His entire body is a pockmarked landscape of craters, scars, and burns from the sheer abuse he's taken, and he quivers from stimpak addiction that's only been quelled by the sheer adrenaline of demon killing so far. Weighed down by the guns he carries- most commonly a double-barrel shotgun he found sitting in a dark maintenance underhall back on Earth- he clanks as he walks, his battered body armor crisscrossed with ammo belts and shell holders.

At first it was terrifying for him. Former humans and imps were something to hide in a vent from. Now he simply kills them as he goes along. Most demons, despite normally being psychopathic murderers ready to turn on one another in a moment if so much as accidentally grazed, will shit themselves when they see him.

Though it's not represented in Doom's simple AI, I always imagine Imps backpedalling and flinging fireballs in an absolute panic when they see him. Former humans, even through the murderous daze they normally go about their duties enshrouded within, know enough to scream, throw down their rifles, and sprint as fast as their legs can carry them in the opposite direction. Cacodemons and Pinkies are perturbed by the sheer amount of death that he stinks of. Hell Knights carry a terrified respect for him and even Barons rue the day they see him. Revenants were already unlucky enough to have met him once; how they can muster the courage to try again is beyond me. Mancubi smell burned meat and dried blood, and in their greed believe they could take him on. Arch-Viles, the highest priests of Hell, whisper unholy prayers under their lips as they hear the approaching sound of clanking ammo chains and the gentle whirr of a BFG's main reactor.

The only thing that drives most demons to fight him is the knowledge that if they run, a far worse fate than a simple shotgun to the chest awaits them. Cyberdemons are foolish. Their computerized scanners tell them that they have 40 times his durability and far superior weaponry. Most of them privately believe that he hasn't really killed all the demons he is said to have. Well, before he took a rocket launcher to Baphomet's forehead, that is. Now demons know him as the one who killed their overlord and creator.

And throughout it all, what's left of him?

Nothing.

He doesn't even know his own name anymore. When the computers on Phobos went berserk during the first incursion, his file was wiped. He's killed so much, taken so much trauma, that he has forgotten who he was or what his name is. All personality has been worn away by years of incurring the same trauma over and over again. All that's left is years of honed instincts, military training, and well-drilled knowledge of heavy weaponry. Sometimes, when a battle is over for a time, he might amble into a deserted house and search the fridge.

He might chew on some leftover hamsteak to quell approaching hunger pains, or guzzle a Corona in a mini-fridge downstairs in a futile attempt at wiping away the things he's seen. Perhaps an imp will wander inside- it's those times where he reaches down to that ancient holster of his, draws his Beretta 2092, and blows the little bastard away in a cute little imitation of that first time all the way back on Phobos.

After 48 hours of continuous operation, fueled by a handful of Berserk packs, he collapses in a barricaded room- checked three times, after the time a former sergeant attempted to gut him with a bayonet as he slept- and a few tears might roll down his dusty, bloodied cheeks as he drifts away for a few hours of fitful, restless, dreamless sleep.

They call him "Doomguy". That's what he reckons he is now.

The bringer of Doom.

2 hours ago, TootsyBowl said:

If that's an extension of your own personality, I suggest you go see a shrink.

Hue.

I know Doomguy was intended to be just a blank slate for the player to fill in,, but I'm the kind of person that applies WAY TOO MUCH thought into the plots of games like Doom. To me, he works as his own character even if his only form of expression is to pull a trigger.

A lone survivor of a squad of marines. A brave light in the face of darkness. However, the further you go in the doom timeline, the more he develops PTSD.

Please don't take that post seriously though ;P I don't tend to think how he looks in my head...unless the hud pic counts...he could be anybody!