Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maisth

How to teleport an enemy?

I have an idea for a boss fight but it involves teleporting the enemy to another room

is this possible?

In vanilla there are many ways to do it

Mine is basically a three part system. You have the monster container with the monster, the teleport line it initially can not cross, and some way to active the whole shebahang.

-Draw a square sector about 1000 map units away from the general play area. Here will your monster be contained. If done right you should not be able to hear something skulking about when the monster is activated.

-Make sure this sector envelopes the chosen enemy so that it does not have much room to wiggle about.

-Now draw an identical square and raise it to 25 in height, in the general direction the player is expected to be when the monster teleports. It should be connected to the monster container sector and it should eventually be possible for the chosen monster to travel into this one. Give the linedef connecting the two sectors(monster container sector and monster teleport sector) action 126 (wr monster teleport) and a suitable sector in the play area the same tag. Also a add a teleport thing in the suitable play area sector.

-Draw a third much smaller square connected to the monster enclosure sector (not the teleport sector). The connecting lindef usually should have block monster ticked. Now you draw two additional 8x8 squares(one inside the aforementioned third much smaller sector and, one in the play area > merge these two squares).

-Now it is time to find a way to give the player an excuse to fire their weapon once and someway to lower the sector raised by 25.

You can do a daisy chain with these monster containers, just remember to tick block monsters where it is appropriate.

It is as easy as starting a T-Ford !

There's a relevant thread related to this topic.

There's a few takeaways from that discussion, one of which is that if you want your map to be able to be completed in a pacifist run (and you still want the player to have to deal with the teleporting monsters), then you need to put some more thought into it. Of course, if you're not concerned with pacifist runs, then just have something to shoot at (whether it be a switch or a monster) and you're good to go.

An idea I've been kicking around, but haven't gotten around to trying, is to have a room full of monsters on the other side of the wall from some room where the player will walk through and have the monster-filled room be connected to the room the player is in by means of a small window or cutout in the wall (maybe 8 units high), so the monsters will all wake up after the player passes by them. I don't know if the height of the cutout matters, or if it would have to be at the eye level of the monsters. You can then incorporate this with the 25 unit high wall from NeedHealth's post, which would block the monsters after you walked in front of them. The only downside to this plan, that I can see (no pun intended), is that the monsters would all make sound upon waking up, which the player would be able to hear. Although maybe that would heighten the player's paranoia, in which case you could call it a feature.

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

---

That method almost requires you to discard the raised sector and put the peep hole by the area the monsters will teleport too. I am talking about mapping for vanilla, here.

In boom you should be able to use a scroll sector - but really: most of this are mentioned in the other topic you linked to.

Pacifist requires an other design approach. I need to think about that.

6 minutes ago, NeedHealth said:

That method almost requires you to discard the raised sector and put the peep hole by the area the monsters will teleport too. I am talking about mapping for vanilla, here.

In boom you should be able to use a scroll sector - but really: most of this are mentioned in the other topic you linked to.

Pacifist requires an other design approach. I need to think about that.

I map for vanilla, so I don't have the experience with Boom to comment on them. I still read about the other formats, I just prefer mapping in vanilla, even with the limitations.

Ultimately, I was trying to think of a way that you could wake up the monsters without having to use your weapon somewhere. That's where I came up with the idea of the peephole (I hadn't thought of that as a descriptor, but it's a good one, even if it were a long peephole--which I guess wouldn't be a hole, but I digress). My thought was that the monsters would see you as you passed by them, wake up, and that they would then move toward you. I said you could combine the idea with the 25 unit high wall in order to act as a control on them, so you could use a trigger as you passed over a line picking up an item or weapon.

It depends on what you would like to accomplish. Most people currently probably would call it amateurish to hear the monsters before they teleport in, but I guess that is a fashion thing that come and goes - like anything else.

The only way I know in vanilla, apart from from sound-activation to make a monster teleport in, is using peepholes. Someone else can probably chime in and enlighten me here.

On 9/18/2017 at 1:20 PM, NeedHealth said:

In vanilla there are many ways to do it

Or instead if you are slightly more technically inclined, you can draw said sector away in the same way minus the little sector connecting to it and relying on linedefs using the same sector reference (one that will cause sound propagation so monsters will awaken from noise), but ensuring the one for the teleport is also referencing the same sector since Doom Builder sometimes does this if you build new sectors inside this isolated room.

I made this helping another member with the same thing. The purple line is a "sound vent" as I call it. I just put it there so the monster was alerted when the first shot in the level was fired. When you walk over the green line by the door, the Floor would lower and the monster would teleport to whatever place you designate. Not sure how helpful this is but here it is. There are quite probably better ways but for now this is how I did it.

Teleport.png.ac737c187e2cac0de5d5f000a8f795fc.png

Edited by DemonusDefunctus

4 hours ago, Glaice said:

Or instead if you are slightly more technically inclined, you can draw said sector away in the same way minus the little sector connecting to it and relying on linedefs using the same sector reference (one that will cause sound propagation so monsters will awaken from noise), but ensuring the one for the teleport is also referencing the same sector since Doom Builder sometimes does this if you build new sectors inside this isolated room.

That was something I actually didn't know. Thank you !

Ah, heh.

Doom2 map01 has this very thing, though, the imps open a door/wall instead of teleporting.

It's the same concept though.

1 hour ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Ah, heh.

Doom2 map01 has this very thing, though, the imps open a door/wall instead of teleporting.

It's the same concept though.

Is that what the imp in the cage (last room was for)? I always wondered about that little sliver connecting the two closets.

Incidentally, you don't even need a sound vent. It suffices to join two sectors together that are separated by a good distance; if sound propagates to any part of a sector, it propagates to all of that sector, even the bits that aren't contiguously connected to the subsector that heard the sound.

So, like, you could have your dummy sector way off into the map, join it with a sector that the player is expected to be making noise in (even if that "noise" is a silent fist throw - maybe have them punch a switch to enter the map proper like MAP18: "The Courtyard" or something), and the monsters in the dummy sector will be alerted all the same. From there you just need a separate barrier sector to raise/lower when the trap needs to be sprung; you can cordon off monsters with Impassible linedefs without needing to make any new sectors, and the WR Teleport (also monsters) lines won't need separate sectors either (hell, you could reuse one of the linedefs defining the barrier's sector for those).