Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Plutonia Revisited Community Project

PRCP.jpg

What is the DWmegawad Club?
This is a place where we settle down, have a cup of tea (or drink of your choice) and take a month to play through a megawad on our own, together! Any keen observations, criticisms, or frustrated ranting about it goes here in the discussion. As long as you want to say something about what you've played, feel free to speak your mind.

Can I join?
Sure. The only rule is that you have to play at least some of the levels in our monthly megawad to contribute, but you're generally encouraged to finish the whole thing, even if you've played it before.

What levels am I allowed to post about?
Whatever day of the month it is, is the upper limit for the map you can post on. So if it’s the 6th, you may discuss up to MAP06.

Do I have to post an entry every day?
Nope, not at all. This is only for our more enthusiastic members. As long as you play through it with us you’re part of the club.

When do we vote on the next month’s megawad?
Voting begins on the 25th of the current month. Remember to add one “+++” before your vote to make it easier to count. For example:

+++ Ultimate Doom

----------
>>>DOWNLOAD PRCP HERE<<<

Gee wiz, 2017 has been a good year for Final Doom sequels, hasn’t it? Though it wasn’t released this year, this month we’ll be stalking through the ruin-infested jungles of the Plutonia Revisited Community Project! I hope you have your shotgun (and some extra armor) handy!

Author & Maplist for PRCP:
MAP01 - “Stonewall” by Joshy
MAP02 - “Temple of Cetza” by Paul Corfiatis
MAP03 - “Escape from Ghost Town” by UltimateLorenzo
MAP04 - “Emerald Pools” by C30N9, Joshy
MAP05 - “That Flooded Place” by Keeper of Jericho
MAP06 - “Stony Halls” by Matt Tropiano
MAP07 - “Caughtisle” by Joshy
MAP08 - “Rules of Death” by franckFRAG
MAP09 - “Ruined Kingdom” by Tatsurd-cacocaco
MAP10 - “Bloodbath” by JC Dorne
MAP11 - “Will You Be My NME?” by Darkwave0000
MAP12 - “Velocity” by Kira
MAP13 - “Slaughter Zone” by Paul Corfiatis
MAP14 - “Undertaker” by Phobus
MAP15 - “Helix” by Xaser

MAP31 - “Cyberdemon Vertigo” by Whoo
MAP32 - “Have @ It” by William Huber

MAP16 - “Gambit” by Matt Tropiano
MAP17 - “The Unholy Crypt” by evocalvin
MAP18 - “Phantom Silence” by evocalvin
MAP19 - “Venom” by waverider
MAP20 - “Sinister Daybreak” by Tatsurd-cacocaco
MAP21 - “Amadeus’ Circle” by Keeper of Jericho, Belial
MAP22 - “Suicide Mission” by valkiriforce
MAP23 - “Necrogenesis” by William Huber
MAP24 - “Terra Incognita” by 4mer
MAP25 - “Wicked Garden” by Xaser
MAP26 - “Poison Ivy III” by Joshy, Belial
MAP27 - “Planned Overload” by ArmouredBlood
MAP28 - “Dance with the Devil” by Matt Tropiano
MAP29 - “Atlatl” by Mechadon
MAP30 - “In the Eye of the Beholder” by Thomas van der Velden

BONUS CONTENT
Doomwiki
DSDA
kmxexii’s review

Lingyan203's playthrough

PRCP midi covers
----------
OLD THREADS

Edited by dobu gabu maru

Votes were rigged; MM2 clearly won that one!

Anyway... I've played PRCP before, right after PL2 in fact, and found it disappointing in comparison. It's a decent set overall, though lacking in ambition and map complexity seen in PL2 and Urania. Still some cool stuff here though.

I'll be using PRBoom+ this time for the vintage software experience. UV, Pistol-Starts, no-saves etc.

MAP01 - “Stonewall” by Joshy

I9TlMJi.png

This opening map by Joshy is very much in the same style as the original and PL2. Plutonia gameplay staples like Chaingunners and Revenants are a common enemy, and the obligatory Vile is once again found near the crate storage. The Berserk secret near the start is decently obscured and where I ended up finding it last. A solid start.

I think I played only the first 3 maps or so and then dropped it for some reason...

MAP01: Mixed feelings. Gameplay and visually it's allright, the style of Plutonia it's there and the map throws at you few tougher monsters. It's rather cute the waterfalls area at the blue key. The map feels too much like a remixed Congo, I'm okay with homages and this kind of stuff usually, but here is rather off-putting. It's too early to make comparisons with PL2, let's see where the wad goes.

37 minutes ago, gaspe said:

The map feels too much like a remixed Congo, I'm okay with homages and this kind of stuff usually, but here is rather off-putting.

Yep, a few of the maps in this wad lean too close to rip-off territory, rather than just being Plutonia-inspired overall.

Well, this is going to be my first time posting about a mapset. I'll be playing on zdoom, UV and pistol starts.

Map 01 - Stonewall:

This really felt a lot like congo: the texture choices, the optional ssg and rl, the cast of enemies and, most of all, the lift that reveals 2 chaingunners behind you.

I liked it as a first map, there were some moments of excitement, but I never felt I was in real danger of dying (the archvile on the crate area gave me a good jumpscare).

The layout was different from congo and most of the fights were different as well, so I wouldn't call this a rip-off. Plutonia 2 didn't feel similar enough to the original for me, so I'm fine with this.

5 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

It's a decent set overall, though lacking in ambition and map complexity seen in PL2 and Urania. Still some cool stuff here though.

Plutonia and complexity do not fit together, for that reason Urania is not a plutonia remake/sequel. Also the more complex map of PR is more complex then the more complex map of Plutonia 2 (which is map 29) :)

Let's see how long I can keep this lark up. ZDoom continuous on Ultra-Violence because I'm a lazy pile of cartilage who deserves to be punished.

Map 01 - Stonewall:

A decent opener that looks and plays well. Personally I feel like the Congo homages didn't detract too much from the personality of the map: they're kind of cute in a way, to be honest. Chaingunner density can catch you off guard if you're careful, but nothing too arduous. Didn't find out how to get the first berserk, but did manage to net the second and the blue armor: kinda iffy on 2 berserks in such a short map, but it's no biggie. Decent stuff.

8 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Votes were rigged; MM2 clearly won that one!

This was actually our first (or is it second???) voting result that was a tie in the end (it was like 10-10), so I wound up just pulling my vote from the list so I didn't have to participate and could spend my Doom time mapping instead :P

Shameless self-plug: for those interested I took another shot at making a map 22 slot level for this titled Kamikaze Suicidal a year ago since I felt my MAP22 contribution was too similar to the original Impossible Mission. Should make for a decent patch if anyone gets bored with my original map.

After dropping unannounced out of last month's stack of WADs, let's see if this one's more to my tastes.  Continuous play, ZDoom, Hurt Me Plenty, with saves as I feel like them.

MAP01: Stonewall

This feels like an atypically big and tough level for the MAP01 slot, with a pleasantly chunky layout that's halfway between a temple and a techbase (or has the elements of the later, its computers and crates, woven through the former) and three keys to grab along the way.  It's not shy about throwing the tough end of the bestiary at the player right from the get-go, and depending on the route you take, you might find yourself plinking at an arch-vile with a shotgun or pressed into similarly lopsided confrontations; the open layout permits this, but also enables ready escape to seek out additional supplies and weapons and come back to the tougher nuggets of meat better prepared to saw through them.  I do like that particular style of nonlinearity in which foreknowledge and experience aren't essential but can contribute to a smoother experience and a sense of what's a better order in which to traverse the level's hallways and confront its challenges.

Oh boy a Plutonia Megawad :P There's very little chance that I'd ever play this on my own so I guess I'll use the club as motivation to get through it, I'm hoping that this is more like Plutonia 2 & less like the Casali's maps.

MAP01: Stonewall - HMP, Continuous

Joshy starts things off with a very pretty looking map that has a elements of Plutonia map 1 with the crate room, Plutonia map 3 with the texturing & using vines to obscure the vision around doorways, & Plutonia 2 with the use of a 3D bridge. Monster placement is what you expect from someone trying to emulate Plutonia, lots of chaingunner ambushes & high tier enemies right from the get go. I faced the AV with just a single shotty & chain gun so that was a bit boring. Since I don't like the gameplay of plutonia I didn't really enjoy my stay here on this map, but I'm sure that this would be a fun opener for those who like Plutonia. At least the map looks nice, but visuals are had to screw up when you are a talented mapper working with the Plutonia textures.

I've voted for this, so I guess I'll play as well. Though I'm bad at writing, so...

GLBoom+, UV, no saves for now.

MAP01. Time: 10:00. Kills: 100%. Secrets: 100%.

A good map!

prcp_arch_01.zip

xEtlUHh.png

UV / pistol-starts / no saves

map01 fda

an odd, squat little map. the flat vine-brick buildings and visible horizon line put me in mind of some sort of surreal Doom- Fort Boyard or floating prison.

didnt get any of the secrets, but knew exactly what was going to happen around the crates (AV!), and the RL (revenant-closets!).

its a shame that the central area doesnt really get used. even at the end with the warp-in, the enemies appear around the YK post and trickle through (i ran back there) instead of forcing you to run about and avoid them.

also a shame that the berserk isnt given earlier; the map could be spiced up with an opportunity to punch stuff (maybe you can get it really early but im secret-blind :( ) i had a play around with the appearing switch near the exit but couldnt work out what it did.

Edited by rehelekretep

46 minutes ago, Archi said:

I've voted for this, so I guess I'll play as well. Though I'm bad at writing, so...

GLBoom+, UV, no saves for now.

MAP01. Time: 10:00. Kills: 100%. Secrets: 100%.

A good map!

prcp_arch_01.zip

this is why i love FDAs - thanks @Archi

the berserk can be grabbed very early, and that bloody switch - you obviously noticed on the automap that it was three 'actionable' linedefs, i never noticed :(

i was also impressed by the different routes you can take from the start of the map.

still ugly tho :p

Alright, PRCP! Hopefully this is the megawad I need to actually get through a month of these clubs after a few of double-backing on myself and being swamped with real life responsibilities. I've been told this is pretty tough, but I think I'm up to the the challenge. GZdoom with Boom compat settings, HMP pistol starts. 

MAP01: Stonewall, by Joshy|5:45|100% kills|

3GdX4G6.png

A fairly innocuous opener by Joshy, albeit with a few tricks up its sleeve, such as the influx of chaingunners upon picking up the YK and a few tight ambushes here and there. The Plutonia MAP01 callbacks veer a little right of "cute" at a point, but I guess as a homage it changes things up enough to be its own thing. Archvile fight really wasn't that interesting, could've gone without it or added more of a risk factor, but it's MAP01 so I'll let it slide. Overall a pretty good map. 

UV

Map 01, Stonewall

I really like this opener. My favorite area is the SSG, crates, arch-vile section (a reshaped version of the dark room of Congo). The map is well designed by the author and the gameplay is rough, particularly the yellow key teleport ambush. Good map by Joshy

Plutonia Revisited was like a down-to-earth version of Plutonia 2. While the elite PL2 team consisted of big names and friends of Gusta & Co, PRCP was a relatively relaxed community project open to just about anyone as long as they were listening to feedback. It is also less grand in scale, for the most part avoiding epic adventure maps in favor of quick dynamic bloodbaths. So in that sense it is closer to The Plutonia Experiment, although as you will learn soon enough, there are exceptions to everything... It is interesting to compare the two sequels. I see Plutonia 2 almost like the last classic megawad: it started in 2000, some legendary mappers participated in its development, and you can still see traces of old "naive" gameplay all over it. Then came wads like Speed of Doom and Vanguard, which set new standards for visuals, taught us that fights in Doom have to be tightly controlled, and kind of began a new era, completely redefining what "hardcore" means. Plutonia Revisited mirrors that in a lot of ways, although it was also probably influenced by the vanilla craze that was strongly gaining momentum at the time, and perhaps because of that it doesn't look as fancy as some of the beautifully detailed Plutonia 2 maps.

6 minutes ago, Memfis said:

Plutonia Revisited mirrors that in a lot of ways, although it was also probably influenced by the vanilla craze that was strongly gaining momentum at the time, and perhaps because of that it doesn't look as fancy as some of the beautifully detailed Plutonia 2 maps.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Plutonia 2 vanilla as well?

True, but a lot of Plutonia 2 maps don't look vanilla at all, they look more like detailed limit removing levels from 2005 or so. In particular, Gusta was really pushing the engine's limits. In Plutonia Revisited you can see a conscious effort to make things look simplistic in quite a few levels.

1 hour ago, bioshockfan90 said:

GZdoom with Boom compat settings, HMP pistol starts. 

This wad is actually vanilla, so I would assume Doom 2(Strict), or the Final Doom equivalent if there is one, is more approappriate. 

When people started voting for this I realized that I hadn't beaten the original Plutonia so I rushed through that in like 4 days. Anyway...

Gzdoom - UV continuous? - Saves

map01 'Stonewall'

Pba7HJt.png
From the very beginning, this map doesn't really pull any punches. There are plenty of mid-tier enemies to cause some grief. The first time I played this I didn't know what I was doing and ended up having to shotgun the archvile which wasn't very fun at all. The trap at the red key also ended an early run. However, after you get the super shotgun, the map is pretty easy from that point forward.

I did enjoy the map's layout a lot. The different paths you can take through the map adds some replayability, trying to find which paths are the best. I ended up heading directly for the super shotgun via the red key area, and then progressing from there.

Before I commit to anything, are these maps designed for pistol starts or continuous?

5 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

so I wound up just pulling my vote from the list so I didn't have to participate and could spend my Doom time mapping instead :P

e_e

Ok, joining this time, PRCP was fun for the most time and this is going to be a revision of how much I can remember from it. So, UV/pistol start/possible saves, 100% everything, with Crispy Doom, and casual screenshots.

MAP01: Stonewall

Death Count: 1

DOOM00.png.ec5bb8f30931325440c99da385b547a8.png

Back then, I didn't pay attention to who made each map, now I see this is by Joshy? Not one of his usual rough starts (monsters watching you) in this case, but I know what's coming on his further contributions. Anyway, I did remember almost everything except for supplies, like the armor which I found later with very little health and the two chaingunners that come from behind a wall drilled me to death. The arachnotrons are strong snipers and can attack you from different spots, so nothing about standing in the middle of a room to check the automap, got it? (I'm talking to myself). Then the cute rip-off archvile which can only wander on the mud, and more gunners and revenants to keep the Plutonia vibes, if the vines and brown are not enough. One of my favourite features in the two sequels is secret hiding, in this case two switch hunts, in which case the berserk is very useful against imps. The only "kindly f*** yourself" was the pain elemental that kept vomiting skulls from afar. And a nice midi I just forgot. Nice introduction.

@Spectre01 I'm pretty sure pistol starts are all possible, but I remember having troubles in the rip-off of the iwad's map 05, which is map 04 I think, and I do care about ammo regardless of my style.

Edited by galileo31dos01

Alright then, PRCP will be the first mapset I post about. I’ll be playing on GZDoom, UV, continuous.

MAP01 – “Stonewall” by Joshy

vqA6K1D.png

This opener had some interesting moments. The early berserk pack enabled a quick punching session a la TNT: Evilution, but the higher-tier monsters promptly put me back in place. The arch-vile reveal was a particularly fun encounter. My favorite area was the blue-key waterfall; I especially liked the 4-switch teleporter reveal. The yellow-key ambush can be rather rough but is perfectly manageable due to the prior availability of the Super Shotgun and Rocket Launcher. The map also allows a reckless playstyle with the mega-armor and second berserk pack.

The map has a temple theme similar to that of “Congo”, with some tech-base sections added in. However, in both gameplay and aesthetics, the map does feel different enough to not detract from the overall experience. The secrets feel more like puzzles and avoid blatantly obvious tells. Finally, the open layout allows for engaging replays but doesn’t hinder a blind run. All in all, a pretty good introduction!

@galileo31dos01 That wasn't me asking about Pistol Starts. :P

I've played through PRCP that way before and would probably recommend it for a balanced experience. Mainly, this is because of the BFG in map04, and with no death exits you'll be fully armed very early on.

Edited by Spectre01 : English

I have never played this wad but I expect lots of little closets that open up with stuff. Hopefully this wad isn't completely predictable (every time I do anything or go anywhere I expect to see monsters appear from some wall I just ran by).

Map01:

A pretty fun map. A couple references to Plutonia Map01 in the forms of closets that open containing pairs of chaingunners, an AV that spawns around some crates guarding the ssg, rocket trap accessible from the start that releases some assorted monsters from closets.

This switch guarded by these bar midtextures.. honestly I was hoping for something to spawn outside the cage but had my chaingun ready and pointing behind me anyways. Monsters just spawned from a wall immediately behind me as expected and were easy chaingun fodder.

The blue key trap was quite annoying.. I liked it more after the initial PE. The PE didn't really do anything due to all of the powerups laying on the ground. It just kinda.. spat out some lost souls which were easily dispatched thanks to my berserk and a stimpack, which I didn't require, laying on the ground. The souls also got stuck on the shells on the ground too. The fight was cool after that. Easily dispatched everything without getting hit really.

The final fight after getting the ysk was odd. I liked how the monsters could roam everywhere down on the bottom floor but I grew tired of peeking around corners shooting the chaingunners. No real threat here during this playthrough.

Compared the Plutonia and Plutonia 2 openers.. I can't really say I prefer one over the other. I am pretty indifferent to them all. I liked the references here so I guess I enjoyed this one overall in comparison to Plutonia 2.. also the final fight in this one is more action packed than the pair of cacos and the whatev hitscanners at the end of Plutonia 2 Map01 (I actually had to do something to survive).

Hello! I want to write a review for this, looks cool, But I am not able to play the wad properly, as I get black textures in 50% of the walls. I use GZDoom to play by the way, is there anything I do wrong?

PS: Im kinda new to this.

Map 02 - Temple of Cetza:

Oh hello Whispers of Satan, long time no see. =D Yeah, this is about as Paul Corfiatis as Paul Corfiatis gets, with a sprinkling of Plutonia textures to fit the theme. Not a bad map by any stretch of the imagination though and I'm guessing it gains a bit more bite from playing it from pistol start, so maybe I'm the problem here. :P That aside, it's a decent map with a nice amount of detail: I like how Paul's decorative style remains fairly consistent from Boom to vanilla, it's a testament to how good he makes his maps look without going too overboard. Nice stuff.