Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rifle Infantry

What's your favorite custom (DeHackEd/Realm667/etc.) monster?

As the title says.

What's your favorite edited or entirely new monster? What .wad does it come from? Why do you like it?

My personal favorite's gotta be the Monster Resource Wad's Rapid Fire Trooper (that is, the original yellow-haired one, not the KDiZD resprite), especially when paired with a custom rifle weapon for it to drop. It's just a well-fitting monster; a sergeant-stat trooper that trades high burst damage for weak but repeated shots, a little like a Chaingunner but with less horrific DPS.

Valiant's Suicide Bombers and Arachnorbs. Brilliant fun, and i find the bombers highly amusing en masse (map17 secret fight!). I generally appreciate all the monster revamps in that wad though, they are excellently judged in that they fill gaps and address weaknesses in the standard Doom monster roster but also make sense canonically (rather than just being random monster modifications).

Edited by Scotty

The Arachnorbs without doubt, they're a natural extension of the existing Doom bestary that adds a new twist to the Arachnotron, they fill a mid-level flying role and they look and sound great.

This guy:

NaVul32.png

but not the original version. This here is the same as the one from AEoD version 5.

Wicked, by far.  Not only are they similar to my favorite Quake monster, but they feel pretty versatile.  The Archon of Hell is probably a close second.

The Giant Bouncing Clown from Happy Time Circus 2 comes to mind. I'm kind of sad that the mapper only used it once, it was a cool idea that could've added a lot more to the overall gameplay than it did.

Anything that either fills a specific gap in the "combat chain" of the standard DoomII bestiary (Like Valiant's Arachnorbs, to give one example), or something the mapper in question puts to good use in some way shape or form to mix things up a bit more. These points aside, I also like seemingly "minor" edits to existing monsters, such as SMMs occupying/requiring less space to "function", or edits of monsters such as hellknights being a bit more than just a less bulky Baron. Can't pick a favourite at all, don't want to pick a favourite either, because it's not about what the custom monster is, it's about the mapper's abilities to make it shine or not.

I'll deeply agree with Nine Inch Heels' post, but at the same time, the Flesh Wizard: http://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/beastiary-mainmenu-136-69621/doom-style-mainmenu-105-73113/571-flesh-wizard

It warps around, appears, fires a Hell Knight shot and disappears. Very annoying, very creepy, very tense monster. Can be as dangerous as an imp or an arch-vile in the right places.

The Afrit so far would be my favourite, but the one from Resurgence which has the perfect HP. I also like my edited mastermind with less pain chance and smaller radius, how it always should have been. Alien drones from AA are lovely too. I have yet to see how many other wads like Strain or Valiant or Survive in Hell show their bestiary.  

Yes here i have all of Sun Madcat's Monster Pack that i have downloaded :D

Come here guys buy all you want
thats all 1.25$ each monsters (especially bosses)

SunMadcatMonsterPackJanuary2018.PNG

2 hours ago, XxDubstepGuyxX said:

I'll take the whole stock!

On 10/1/2017 at 11:57 PM, Obsidian said:

The Giant Bouncing Clown from Happy Time Circus 2 comes to mind. I'm kind of sad that the mapper only used it once, it was a cool idea that could've added a lot more to the overall gameplay than it did.

Shitbag needs to come back

My favourites so far (in no particular order):

1) Valiant's Arachnorbs

2) Valiant's Suicideguys

3) Stealth plasma dudes from Ancient Aliens

4) Archangel from Eviternity (even if he is a bit unfair in the 2nd phase)

I like it when the new monsters fill a specific role that had not been previously filled by the existing monster roster.

On 3/20/2019 at 3:54 PM, XxDubstepGuyxX said:

Where can those be found?!!

A bit of a tie-in with the Cybruiser and the Archon of Hell. The Eviternity variant (Annihilator) is a great improvement over the Cybruiser and I kinda wish he was as common as the former two.

I also have a soft spot for Plasma Zombies, they can quickly destroy you if you're not paying attention - but they're an easy target.

Rocket zombie
its on realm 667 but I don't think that's where its from originally
I like it because it feels like it fits in with the vanilla enemies

10 hours ago, kb1 said:

Where can those be found?!!

He has a thread for them in the Zandronum forums.  In that thread, I made a now-outdated PK3 that replaces the Doom 2 monsters with his monsters.  The link in the first post is not the current version.  Go to the last page for the updated link.

5 minutes ago, Gaia74 said:

image.png.5fda1c2424cc5d25a487ceece659ba62.png

GOOD LORD!!! What in the world of abomination is that thing 😱?