Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Scientist

DECADENCE

It's been a while since we had a good flamewar, so I'll try and start one:

DECADENCE IS EVIL!!!

Now I hear you thinking:

"Decadence? WTF does Scientist mean with decadence?"

Decadence is the product of boredom and too much prosperity that are common in our modern world.
Decadence seems to be capitalism's best friend and it's everywhere.

Decadence is buying our fat children expensive sporting shoes while we know they never sport.

And think about Easter or Halloween. During Easter we buy all kind of candy which is shaped like bunnies, eggs and other Easter things. Now when Easter is over the supermarkets can't sell these anymore and just throws them away. That good food! There's nothing wrong with it; the only reason we don't want it is because it has "the wrong shape". How fucked up is that?

And it's not just during special days like Easter, it's happening every day. Just look at bread. Nobody wants to buy bread that's a day old. So every day the supermarkets throw away all the bread that it did not sell that day. Now we all know that there is nothing wrong with bread that is a day old, and yet every day a huge quantity of it is thrown away.
Why?
Because we have to much prosperity in our modern world!

Here in the Netherlands we have this new trend. It's called a "key-cord" or something. It's a piece of string with a flashy color you hang around your neck and you can hang your keys on. It's like the most supid invention since caffeine-free coffee! It looks stupid, you don't need it and the cost money. Yet, like I said it's a fucking trend; lots of people wear them.
Why?
Because people have so much money that they have no idea what to do with it.

Now, I see these people at the train station, and when a beggar asks them if they can spare any money they say "no".
How fucked up is this fucked up world? How can you have money to go and buy a stupid useless thing like a "key-cord" and not have money for some-one in need?!

This modern world just seems totally messed up.

But it's not just other people that behave decadent. I myself do decadent things.
*Sometimes at night I sit in my room alone and drink a bottle wine just because I'm fucking bored.
*I also have a mobile phone, which I REALLY don't need. I carry it around but I have no-one to call, and nobody that knows my number.

Anyway like i said decadence is a product of boredom and too much prospertity. It's a disease which symptoms can be found anywhere in our modern world.

Well that's how I look at the world, now tell us what you think...

i buy those sad, unwanted eater bunnies and give them a good home for 1/10 the normal price. And for this is salute decadence!

Otherwise i hate it tho, don't get me wrong...

IMO all this pork barrel money should be spent on IMPORTANT things. If I was a senator or whatever, I would take the billions of dollars in state pork money and give it to say...a program that if a kid gives up his gun or knife (no questions asked, no arrests will be made), he gets tickets to a sport event of his choice. If they give an illegal weapon, they get season tickets. Some of it would go to schools, especially school for the handicapped. More would go to homeless shelter programs like getting a homeless person a haircut, shower and help them get a job and get money.

My life is like, ANTI-decadant. I don't like folks who buy all sorts of useless shit thay they'll never need and never use. Tennis shoes? fuck it! I can't run worth shit! So I'll stick with a stout pair of steel toed boots thanks. Protection for my toes, and exercise for my legs. what could be better? Practical and stylish.

Linguica said:

How much can a colored piece of string cost?

Depends on how much stupid people are willing to pay for it. How much can a damn pair of shoes cost? Anywhere from $9.99 to $125.00+

I have one if you want it. It's on sale for the low, low price of just $750.

heh. when you work retail for a while you learn that people will buy stupid shit for five times what its worth. my last job was at shea stadium, selling souvenirs for the NY mets baseball team. a player name and number t-shirt cost $27 at shea nad $12 at a sporting goods store. a mets scrunchie (puffy ponytail holder) went for $8 atshea and $1.99 at the same sporting goods store. a todd mcfalane mike piazza figure was old for $28 when, if you were lucky to find it, sold for $9.99. people would buy this stuff even after I told them this.

as for handing out to the homeless, I would rather buy them something to eat or give them food I already had than give them money. about 98% of the ones I offered in my experience turned it down. all they wanted was money for drugs and alcohol. I give to those who want help, not a donation to fund their binge.

There's a good solution to decadence: Go downtown and give a great part of your cash to charities and to homeless people. Less money for you to waste on decadence and more money for needy people.

Scientist said:

Hip person wearing key cord

Yes my friends this is what hip people look like these days here in the Netherlands.

Man, I wish I had some cool thing like that, so I'd look really cool. I think I'll buy a red one and fucking hang myself with it.

Oh it's them. They are the hip thing over all of Europe as far as I know.

VIP's at concerts and similar situations usually wear such things with ID and stuff hanging in them.

Then a lot of young people decided to imitate them so they could look important too.

Kinda sad if you ask me, but not really a sign of decadence. Now, take a typical government election. Not a word about politics but a lot of senseless media hype and personal anecdotes without any relevance. The US is bad, but Europe is not really any better when it comes to this. That's a sign of decadence. Democracy is being eaten up from the inside by inanity.

those are called lanyards over here. they may not be as popular, but they did sell for $8 at my job. the only reason I am in possession of one is cuz it was a freebie at the guinness oyster fest. I would never pay for it anyway. I used it at my last two jobs to hold my name tag.

I got a lanyard to hold keys. Is it decadence if you actually use it for its intended purpose?

And I've never heard of lanyards as "trendy," at least not out here. Wallet chains, yes, but these...?

Scientist said:

Hip person wearing key cord

Yes my friends this is what hip people look like these days here in the Netherlands.

Man, I wish I had some cool thing like that, so I'd look really cool. I think I'll buy a red one and fucking hang myself with it.

We have those here too, but they suck no matter where they are.
[pitiful_music]La----nyar-----ds i-------n A---me---ri-ca[/pitiful_music]

Hahah, that's what all the freshman girls wear here at my college so they won't lose their keys or ID card. You can tell the underclassmen because by the time they hit sophomore or junior year they've realized how lame it is.