Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Optimus

Trying not to be hit

I remember back in the times I read about Compet-n modes the first time, I was thrilled, trying to do pacifist, tyson, etc. I do distinctively remember of trying another mode (but now I realize in the doom wiki maybe it doesn't exist and I made it up) of playing regularly but trying not to be hit. If I was hit, I'd start the level again. Later on, when I tried a new map, I would always have this habit. In the beginning of the map I play very carefully and just notice when is the first time I unfortunately get hit (it was especially interesting with hitscanners and I would strafe back and forth from behind walls, peeping fast and back till I was sure everything was clear) so I would notice that in this level it took me 10 secs, in another level I survived more than a minute, etc.

I want to try that again, or variations of it, so I am wondering if there is a mod (or a simple hack) to:

1) Start Doom with health 1% (maybe a dehacked patch? Never used this)

2) More important, is there a tool that reads all maps in a WAD and removes or replaces every health/armor/powerup item?

3) The above is necessary for 1, but I am also thinking of another mode that could be interesting. Start normally with 100% health (or maybe give 200% health/armor start on level one) and see how far I can reach in the whole game/episode without dying, like a Doom marathon or something.

cap the player's class health to 1 max? Way less work than deleting all the pickups. Enjoy dying to the very first pool of slime you come across!

Just now, Pegg said:

cap the player's class health to 1 max? Way less work than deleting all the pickups. Enjoy dying to the very first pool of slime you come across!

Hah, yeah. That can be a problem. Especially since there is the rare damage chance even when you have radiation suit.

Would be very interesting to hear if this exists myself. As I am also really interested in doing "Realism" runs (AKA no damage taken, all kills, all secrets), yet having to manually restart is annoying. Would be nice if there was an auto-restart like we have when we die.

9 minutes ago, Optimus said:

1) Start Doom with health 1% (maybe a dehacked patch? Never used this)

2) More important, is there a tool that reads all maps in a WAD and removes or replaces every health/armor/powerup item?

Both is doable via a DEHACKED patch.

I would call this Contra mode. You could also change the DamageFactor for the player to some ridiculous number so that the slightest damage gets you gibbed.

A ZDoom, EDGE, or Eternity mod that amps up monster damage to 400 against players seems like the best option, honestly, to account for stuff like damage floors and pickups ( since 1% max health still doesn't stop health bonuses, soulspheres, or megaspheres ). Though obviously this is a less useful solution for demo practice outside of Eternity, and I don't even know if EDGE or Eternity can properly do this, I'm really just guessing with those two.

Here's a small DEH that gives you 1% health and removes all health items except berserk. Berserk still gives you 100% health though, I don't think there's a way to change that in Dehacked.

reality.zip

7 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Here's a small DEH that gives you 1% health and removes all health items except berserk. Berserk still gives you 100% health though, I don't think there's a way to change that in Dehacked.

reality.zip

Wow thanks. That's exactly what I need. I can even modify the deh to fit my own needs.

I could get this working using WhackEd4, you still at 1% after picking up berserk and mega/soulsphere and other health pickups. did not remove any, though.

Edit: The potions did still give you +1 life so i just removed everything.

Edit2: Apparently this does not work with prboom+ ...

onelife.zip

Edited by GhoulDesecrator

Since nobody said it directly (except Linguica's filename), the category is called "reality" (there's also a category called "r3ality" for accidental damage from sector effects like lava). You could try searching /idgames or doomedsda.us for reality/r3ality.

1 hour ago, GhoulDesecrator said:

Edit2: Apparently this does not work with prboom+ ...

Is this a MBF bug that didn't get fixed in PrBoom+ at all?

1 hour ago, Optimus said:

Hah, yeah. That can be a problem. Especially since there is the rare damage chance even when you have radiation suit.

That and being forced to cross over liquids, like the tunnel in E1M4 to get to the soulsphere or the central area of MAP17.

2 minutes ago, printz said:

Actually it does not work with Chocolate Doom also. Guess my version is pretty much the same as linguica's but worse, but since i tested first with ZDoom, and somehow ZDoom does not give you 100% life when you pick up berserk, i thought it did work.

2 hours ago, Pegg said:

2 hours ago, Ichor said:

I would call this Contra mode. You could also change the DamageFactor for the player to some ridiculous number so that the slightest damage gets you gibbed.

Except that in Contra, as I recall, you can hide underwater for an unlimited amount of time without dying. You can't move, but you don't drown, and you can't be hit. You can die by touching fire, electricity, etc.

Maybe such a mod would be more enjoyable (and account for the times when you HAVE to cross nukage pools) by just removing damaging floors or setting such a ridiculously long time that you would have to literally stand still in the pool to take any damage.

1 hour ago, printz said:

58 minutes ago, GhoulDesecrator said:

Actually it does not work with Chocolate Doom also. Guess my version is pretty much the same as linguica's but worse, but since i tested first with ZDoom, and somehow ZDoom does not give you 100% life when you pick up berserk, i thought it did work.

dehacked.exe (the program itself, which edited your doom2.exe file) was I believe not able to change the berserk health amount. The dehacked emulation in early source ports like Boom, continued by traditionalist source ports like Chocolate Doom and PrBoom/+, did not add the ability. Both chocolate-doom and prboom+ hard-code the value 100 for berserk health amount in their respective p_inter.c. G/ZDoom on the other hand, well, you can change anything there, that's the point of it.

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

Except that in Contra, as I recall, you can hide underwater for an unlimited amount of time without dying. You can't move, but you don't drown, and you can't be hit. You can die by touching fire, electricity, etc.

That might be true, but for whatever damage you did take, it would be instant death. However, Contra also had infinite ammo for whatever weapon you were using at the time.

8 hours ago, Optimus said:

3) The above is necessary for 1, but I am also thinking of another mode that could be interesting. Start normally with 100% health (or maybe give 200% health/armor start on level one) and see how far I can reach in the whole game/episode without dying, like a Doom marathon or something.

You mean without ever picking up more health or armor? That would be an interesting mode. Get rid of all armor and medpacks and make Beserk only power your fist

Why removing them? I would replace them with cyberdemons and arch-viles.

4 hours ago, Matthias said:

Why removing them? I would replace them with cyberdemons and arch-viles.

In addition to reducing your health or 1%? Or instead of it? The latter sounds only slightly better.

10 hours ago, wheresthebeef said:

You mean without ever picking up more health or armor? That would be an interesting mode. Get rid of all armor and medpacks and make Beserk only power your fist

Why not remove all weapons and ammo, too and put a berserk packs next to each player start? So after you run out of 50 bullets for your pistol, you just run around punching things to death with your fist. You could call it the Rip n Tear mode.

2 hours ago, Pegleg said:

In addition to reducing your health or 1%? Or instead of it? The latter sounds only slightly better.

1) 1% of health on start

2) only fists and pistol

3) All things are replaced with cyberdemons

4) Generate randomly damage for some floors

Best mod ever

21 hours ago, Glaice said:

That and being forced to cross over liquids, like the tunnel in E1M4 to get to the soulsphere or the central area of MAP17.

I am especially thinking of E2M6. What a weird design that level. There is this interesting outside area, but to open the door with the corridor to the dark mazes (which is where the majority of the level takes place) you just have to zig zag through a river of acid (with medpacks which you accidentally take but it's meaningless as you won't come back here) just to press that button. And no rad-suit.

I remember there was an insane TAS run of Doom 2, I think Nightmare and zero damage taken. I can think why there was never one for Doom 1, just for this level alone.

1 hour ago, Optimus said:

I remember there was an insane TAS run of Doom 2, I think Nightmare and zero damage taken. I can think why there was never one for Doom 1, just for this level alone.

Mind linking said TAS-run of Doom 2 without any damage taken? Interested to see a run like that.