Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HexenMapper

Heretic Upstart Mapping Project [RELEASED]

There are 17 maps, kind of divided into 3 episodes.

E1 is mostly shorter, easier maps (although many are still very challenging on skill 4), E2 consists of the mostly longer, harder maps (although some pace-breakers).

E3 is just one map that was submitted very late but is still a nice little map

Ouch! (E1M4)

8 hours ago, SOSU said:

(I made that map BTW)

Heh, I don't know you, but I remember your avatar, and that's the first thing that popped into my mind when I heard that midi.

13 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

Ouch! (E1M4)

Yes this problem has cropped up a few times. I'm guessing you're playing in zdoom? We thought we had corrected this but it seems not. It works fine in GZDoom, but we'll look into the zdoom problem here. Thanks for the report :)

1 minute ago, HexenMapper said:

I'm guessing you're playing in zdoom?

Yeah, since the readme states that it was tested in 2.8.1.

1 minute ago, HexenMapper said:

Thanks for the report :)

You're welcome.

1 hour ago, HexenMapper said:

We thought we had corrected this but it seems not.

That would explain why this map has so many problems. It seems to be an early version or something?

More of this:

xpARLUZ.png

And speaking about that place: if you run out of flight there, you'll be permanently stuck. There are teleporters everywhere, but even if you teleport out, the door won't open. And even if it was opening, would it be possible to get to the other side without wings?

This one doesn't even work:

OYZsgll.png

Oh, and:

f0myZlR.png

Thanks @HexenMapper for coordinating this and getting it out!

Do you plan to do an upload to /idgames at some point in the future?

Yep, we will upload to idgames at some stage, once we've solved some of the remaining issues :)

@Walter confetti looks like we still have some work to do on your map... We will look into the problem with the bleeding sectors / bars near the Yellow Key door. Can you have a look at this as well and test with zdoom?
I can check that TP and the textures in the cave section, they will be easy fixes.

Cheers Walter, we were able to fix the bleeds - turns out as soon as I edit the map in GZDoom Builder it causes those sectors to bleed near the yellow key door.  @Xindage Managed to fix the problem (And still retain the edits!)

That's a cool tool, the zdbsp, I will save it for future :)

The Latest version of HUMP has been updated (now 1.2), OP link is the same

I made a big dump of screenshots of bugs that I took while playing episode 1. There are 25 of them, in level E1M4, E1M5, E1M7, E1M8. The file name of the screenshot describe its bug. A lot of them were lava that didn't hurt or torches that seemed like they were flying because they were not put close enough to the walls.

https://ufile.io/zxirj

18 minutes ago, axdoomer said:

I made a big dump of screenshots of bugs that I took while playing episode 1. There are 25 of them, in level E1M4, E1M5, E1M7, E1M8. The file name of the screenshot describe its bug. A lot of them were lava that didn't hurt or torches that seemed like they were flying because they were not put close enough to the walls.

https://ufile.io/zxirj

For E1M5... The bullets passing through the wall didn't happen in my testing of the map.

Damaging sectors can be fixed, the secret losing it's walls will retain it being a secret, Dark room will remain a secret.

I wouldn't really call any of the E1M5 "bugs" bugs aside from the damaging sectors.

1 hour ago, ClumsyWizard said:

For E1M5... The bullets passing through the wall didn't happen in my testing of the map.

I went back to check again. Projectiles don't pass through the wall, they just disappear like if they hit the sky. I'm using ZDoom and didn't expect such a bug, maybe there's a defect in the map that makes ZDoom believe the projectiles are hitting a sky.

EDIT:

1 hour ago, ClumsyWizard said:

the secret losing it's walls will retain it being a secret

If you look at the floor once the walls have disappeared, you'll see that the floor texture is bleeding, because the secret's floor is lower and the lower textures are missing.

Edited by axdoomer

Cheers axdoomer, I've gone through your screenshots and fixed most of those issues. The pillar you were shooting in E1M5 was a lowered sector with a sky texture ceiling... easy fix :)

Current version is updated (now 1.3)

I sorta gave up on screen shots for the remainder of E1. It became abundantly clear that this is not the kind of wad where you complain about a wrong texture on an obscured linedef. I mean, I could comment on every missing texture, every moving door track, and everything else that didn't quite work, but if so many of these things are still present in something that's considered to be done, then maybe they belong there.

300 Minutes of /vr/ left a similar impression on me. Except most maps there didn't outstay their welcome, and Doom maps in general are easier to tolerate.

Some interesting ideas here, like a small town that fell victim to a volcano eruption, by the looks of it.

E2 seems fine for the time being.

18 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

Some interesting ideas here, like a small town that fell victim to a volcano eruption, by the looks of it.

I liked that map. It was great. The first map too, when the floor changes to lava. It was a nice effect. Seems like I'm biased in favor of lava.

I went back in episode 1 using version 1.3 just to see some stuff and found two issues that are still there.

E1M7: When you start the map, go in the entrance on the left and the four torches are not touching the walls. The other torches have been fixed.

E1M5:

1dbmeq9l.png

How could you say that he said he reported it before when he hasn't said he reported it before?

Edited by Da Werecat

Found some "zdoom-ism" (floors as walls and viceversa) in e2m2... I have some screenshots to prove but I have them in my pc...

Yes there are some zdoomisms / boomisms in E2M2 - I am aware of them :)
I think we can let them slide as its a great map. I don't really want to change them. The silent teleport was particularly effective in the cave - it blew my mind the first time. So I decided to leave it in.

The mapper did not stick to the outlined format, but I don't want to make his map less effective because of some rules. It just means his map has some features not present on other maps.

If they were sloped floors or 3D floors I would have asked him to change them, but the effects were handled in a subtle way (like the line horizons) so I think they're ok.

14 hours ago, axdoomer said:

I went back in episode 1 using version 1.3 just to see some stuff and found two issues that are still there.

Da Werecat.

TWO ISSUES.

STILL THERE.

Implies he reported these two issues before.

Also my map name is "Parthoris tunnels", parttunn is just short name for wad file. So it can be fixed or just leave as is.

6 hours ago, ClumsyWizard said:

TWO ISSUES.

STILL THERE.

Implies he reported these two issues before.

These two issues would still be there even if I didn't report any issues before. The only thing that it implies is that the two issues were in the wad since the beginning.

Still: happening or existing before now and continuing into the present

Ok I've addressed most of these issues - some like the getting stuck require intensive geometry changes which I'm not too keen to do, might just have to leave them as areas you don't want to fall into :)

There is also an area on E2M4 where you can fall down and get stuck once the stairs raise from the water. These areas will just have to remain, a player can 'kitty' /noclip out of them if necessary.

Thanks again for the reports!

Latest version is now 1.5 - OP link is the same

Edited by HexenMapper