Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TootsyBowl

Did status updates get disabled, or did I accidentally do it myself?

1 hour ago, Battle_Kirby said:

I guess, according to that logic, my status update ban (and the reasons it is there in the first place) its pretty much useless now :P

"Subtle". But you're wrong, they're moved under Activity > Status Updates, so it's more like the old Blogs now. That means said reasons stand firm!

3 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

Actually that's a very nice way for me to distinguish who's a troll since some people like to $h!tpost and make everyone clicks. If that disappears, it also works for me since I don't need to see those. However, if someone really wants to share something, I guess it's nice to have that.

I'd say that I'm on the same page for the most part. I mean, trolls can still be identified on the forums anyway, and it's not like a troll wouldn't post on the forums just because status updates exist. It might be the case at times, but maybe not so much in general. I suppose a deliberate troll with ill intent is going to use all available "channels" anyway. Regular "shitposters" certainly are a different manner, but not by a very huge margin as far as I'm concerned.

The point about people wanting to share something that is meaningful (to employ a very dangerous term here) to them (and hopefully others as well) certainly is the downside of how things are for the time being. The irony is, though, that people who have the intent to share something with some substance to it (read: something that goes beyond "I just farted LOL". No poop-joke intended.) were already exposed to the limitations of how status updates appear on the index page, or rather how quickly they disappear, especially during "rush hours" (and weekends doubly so). To that you can add the stance Pirx expressed here: Statuses weren't something worth bothering with for the most part. Which, for me personally, is a natural consequence of what happens when something gets used in a manner that seems like "wasted potential" (to employ another dangerous term here, but I don't have a better one, sorry about that). I mean, if people are already compelled to not make use of a feature, either by using it "actively" or looking at it "passively", that's saying quite a bit, in my opinion.

So, yes, I think it's a loss -at least partially- but from my POV the "costs" don't outweigh the benefits. Who knows what's going to happen wrt to this in the future? Maybe there is a solution that works better for more people than was the case thus far, but as it currently stands there is no code in place to make subtle changes or allow for customization on an individual level (as far as I'm aware). So the options are statuses as they were, or hiding them as is the case now. The feature is sort of undercooked in that regard, so maybe it will be improved on at some point; if not, so be it.

I think live chat such as IRC and Discord are much better than status updates or blogs anyway, if not also also Everything Else. Communication is much better and conflicts or personal issues are sorted much easier.

Welp, it seems like we've gone back to basics. 

And now I'm sad, because I can no longer showcase my leet cosplay skillz.

It kind of helped to not shit up the forum but eh, this is why Twitter exists. Just create a new account and bam, rant away baby. Believe me, it helps. 

Though I'm not exactly sure how getting rid of statuses is going to get rid of trolls, but it's your forum and I don't care either way

Okay, so I found the status updates. They weren't gone -stupid me. But how do I post one? Or am I also banned for some arbitrary reason. like battle kirby is. :p

You can post them as usual on your profile and they will appear in status update stream.

8 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

I liked having them there, 'cuz every time I logged on I could see if any of my friends posted anything since the last time I logged on. Now I'd have to go visit all their profiles, which I'm not motivated enough to do. Sorry, friends.

OK, just noticed I can turn on notifications for when someone I follow posts a status. I guess I can live with this...

I can do you one better. Behold: the Status Updates of People I Follow activity stream! Just stick that in your custom streams and you're only ever two clicks away starting from the front page.

6 hours ago, printz said:

Kinda sad to see them go. Reputation gone, now this. I guess this forum is reverting to the basics.

How dare they.

They once updated this site without my permission. Dictators I tell you.

56 minutes ago, Kirby said:

They once updated this site without my permission. Dictators I tell you.

Yeah YouTube is full of a buncha fascists 

The only thing it made me pay attention to was seeing what was on whoever's mind that I may not know exists or follow for that matter, but now I can care even less about others' thoughts and feelings! Thanks Doomworld!

9 hours ago, Neurosis said:

Yeah YouTube is full of a buncha fascists 

Hmm, that observation leads to two competing theories:

a) YouTube is much smaller than we previously believed,

b) its fascists are extremely large.

I couldn't think of anything to say. I did say a Robocop quote and admitted I sucked at Doom 2016 multiplayer.