Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

Did Doomworld grow recently?

Lurking around in the forums for a while I have encountered a lot of people who joined in 2017 and 2016 (me included) and there are much more that joined recently than people who joined in the early 2010s so I was wondering,did the Doomworld community start growing since the release of Doom 2016?

Doom 2016 probably convinced some people to join Doomworld.

I played Doom without knowing about the existence of Doomworld. When I first saw the E3 Hell gameplay reveal, I was ecstatic to find out there was a new Doom game in development. And then for some reason I thought it'd be a good idea to join Doomworld.

Linguica has this traffic graph of Doomworld which should help you pinpointing the times it had increased or decreased traffic.

'17-er here. The good press around the '16 Doom, which I still haven't played, got me to finally listen to a friend and play the old ones, which I pretty quickly fell in love with. (Great, great game design; good challenge.)

I wanted to join earlier than my registration date(maybe two years earlier), but I wasn't sure if I'll be accepted and my language skills wasn't so good too, so I lurked as guest around that time. I decided to register here when I wanted to show my not so first map and that's how I ended here and next week, it will one year of being here in this forum. I'll save more details for status update and other stuff.

I lurked here for a long time but the guys that made me register on Doomworld are the guys at /vr/ and some of my friends.

I was actually a long-time lurker in the forums, not sure of what motivated me to join, though. Doomworld is actually the first forum site i've participated so far.

i was visiting doomworld pretty often but i have no reason to join the forum. after i start working on my first wad 1 year ago i decide to be part of this community

I joined here because this was the only remaining biggest forum that composes the Doom community which i wasn't registered, i could register by 2009 alongside ZDoom but being a total new modder in that year i wouldn't last too long here since in ZDoom and Skulltag themselves i stood in a bit of hostility for the first few years for misunderstanding people because my english was very shitty in that age.

27 minutes ago, DaDac said:

I lurked here for a long time but the guys that made me register on Doomworld are the guys at /vr/ and some of my friends.

Welcome to our friendly community.

I've been a lurker for several years, actually. I think I discovered the site almost ten years ago now. I only officially joined recently, being terrified of any social interactions and all. I suppose I figured I'd join up officially during the wave of new members that signed up last year.

My registration to the forum has nothing to do with doom'16 at all. In fact, I knew next to nothing about that at the time, and even though I enjoyed the quake series for the most part, and also liked doomIII for its dense atmosphere, it was my rekindled interest in classic Doom due to how far I have seen people push the boundaries of gameplay in terms of mapping and playing. Being the passionate danmaku enthusiast that I am, it goes without saying that slaughtermaps were especially fascinating for me, because they made parallels between shmups and doom a lot more obvious to me than the "straight forward gameplay" sets managed to do, while still being a different enough thing from bullet hells. Which by the way I tend to be quite vocal about, hence the main reason as to why people think me elitist in that regard, which is further emphasized by my habit of speaking my mind with the gentleness of a sledgehammer at times.

Although my join date is in 2016, I've been around consistently since 2009, I just never had any incentive to join here. I only joined when the MP section made a return.

Oh, Doomworld has definitely grown. Linguica repotted it so it wouldn't become root bound. [/awful garden variety humor]

EDIT: Fixed as per Gez's post!

Edited by Doomkid

I joined just a few weeks after D'16 came out, but not because of D'16. I joined because I was just getting into mapping, and I thought it might be useful to be able to ask questions. It was. And to this day, I've still never completed a map. :-P

So yeah, I'm not part of the new-Doom statistic, I'm actually part of the was-about-to-wander-in-anyway statistic.

Funny enough, after joining up, I read the forum rules (does anyone else do that?), and I didn't post for a while -- partly because I was afraid I'd get banned for doing something stupid. :-)

I also knew DW for a loooong time and I wanted to join but I was able to do it recently. So yeah, Doom '16 is not an excuse to join in this forum, basically.

I found out about Doomworld in 2016 and would occassionally visit the forums and read through some of them. As I got back into mapping, I started reading the Doom Editing forum more often. I finally decided to sign up in September. It wasn't Doom 2016 that ended up leading me to Doomworld, it was actually Freedoom.

I wanted to submit a map in Jan '16 to a project but failed horribly. Figured I stay. Nothing scary about posting on forums, they've been my social outlet since 2005 when my hopes and dreams together laid down and died.  I had to bury them. Without a shovel. Permafrost.

e: ... separately !!

Edited by NeedHealth

I first joined during January of 2017. Before that, I knew that Doomworld had many answers to many different topics, because I searched in Google and many if not all of my questions were answered here.

Normally, I wouldn't have joined, but I wanted to ask about some WADs to play and I am actually really glad that I made that thread, because my WADs folder was almost empty and now it is full with many good WADs.

This means that I didn't care much about Doom 2016 and that I found the site thanks to playing Doom games at least 2 years earlier.

I also liked it very much here and it is the first community that I ever decided to join on the Internet, so I stayed.

And I've been personally trying to run them out myself! :-) There's a maximum occupancy here new guys.... move along!

Technically I joined in 2001, but had a 14 year hiatus before posting in 2015.

I restarted because I found myself watching videos of maps being tested online and realized I rather fancied trying it again. I was feeling the need for a creative outlet in my life, and combined with the love I have for the game made this an obvious choice.

I lurked around Doomworld for nearly two years before I joined. So I'm not part of the DOOM 2016 crowd (I've never played it).

it took 24 hours to download the 1.4 meg playable demo of Raptor: Call of the Shadows on a 56k modem

I registered here to talk about the best games ever made by human beings on the planet earth - chex quest and related tech forks, just kidding I like Doom

COMPU SMART GEN MMX 3D GLIDE ON A CUSHION OF AIR - every 90's toy commercial

I would be the part of the pie chart that didn't get Doom 2016 because snap map is weak, methinks it might be a decent game but they probably should've called it something else. Understood is the fact that business and games go hand in hand, but the discussion of that balance is a talk for some other time I suppose lol

I've known about dooworld for a while now, the reason I joined now was because I usually have bad experiences on forums.

11 minutes ago, DoctorFrickinRetro said:

I've known about dooworld for a while now, the reason I joined now was because I usually have bad experiences on forums.

you ignoring the forum rules?

Just now, Marlamir said:

you ignoring the forum rules?

Not at all, more like, there was clearly favoritism and some power abuse.

18 minutes ago, DoctorFrickinRetro said:

Usually I like stricter rules (of course, no power abuse), especially for big forums.

5 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

but I wasn't sure if I'll be accepted and my language skills wasn't so good too

Well, I had the same concern, but it seems fine now.

1 hour ago, GarrettChan said:

Well, I had the same concern, but it seems fine now.

I remember you mentioning this some time ago in an EE thread, but I don't remember which one it was. Back then it was fine from my perspective, and your english is probably better than mine. That made me wonder what it was that concerned you back then, to begin with, and it kinda still makes me wonder now.