Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

Did Doomworld grow recently?

26 minutes ago, DoctorFrickinRetro said:

Not at all, more like, there was clearly favoritism and some power abuse.

oh, i experience this too on one forum

I found Doomworld through DoomWadStation years before I even registered here because DoomWadStation used to be the first result when looking for custom maps, I wonder how others found this site.

@Nine Inch Heels

I think it's the "share a random fact of yourself", but it doesn't matter now. Behind this concern, there are a lot of (not so) complex reasons, some of them being:

Writing things on forums or comments make me anxious for some reason. I don't know whether it's a problem of social anxiety. Maybe I'm too concerned about making mistakes. For example, in Chinese, "either" and "too" are the same word because it doesn't separate positive and negative in this case, so I make write something like "I don't like this map too", which seems very stupid to me right now. Another example would be negative questions. In Chinese, if you're asked "Don't you like something?", you would use "yes" to represent "you don't like this thing" and "no" to represent "you do like this thing". The latter one is a problem because it leads to misunderstanding, and it's probably difficult for me to explain it in some situation.

Even I don't think my English is that bad, it still leads me into some awkward situation: For some of the sentences, I understand every single word, but I don't really understand the meaning of the sentence because I can't always distinguish whether this is serious, joking or trolling, or can't understand some of the slangs. Therefore, this put me in a very not-so-interesting position when I'm debating something with someone in English, so I rarely do this. You know... my brain capacity is there, using a more difficult language will leave less capacity for other things, such as logic, so writing like this usually make my opinions or thoughts all over the place. I hope this doesn't bother you to read through. If I'm doing a commentary video in English, this gets even worse (somehow I hate my own voice, so I don't watch my own videos even in my native language), haha.

Anyway, I think because DW is relative small community and Classic Doom is still quite a "niche" hobby if you're talking about the whole population in the world, so I feel rather comfortable writing stuff here, and yeah, this is actually quite a good practice for me.

I Always Played Doom. I Started Playing Doom Right Around When The BFG Edition Came Out For The Xbox 360. I never heard of Doomworld until i actually playing Doom on PC So Around The Summer Of 2017. 

Recently joined. I dabbled a ton in Doom modding back in the late 90s and early 00s. The itch to mod resurfaced over the summer, I'm assuming prompted by the subtle pop-culture awareness caused by the release of Doom 2016 (although I've never played it myself). I've also consistently returned to watching Doom Mod/Wad videos on YouTube over the years, so the return to Doom might've been inevitable. Either way, here I am. I'll be around for a little while until my hobbies/creative outlets shift again.

I think I need the help of a native english speaker for (de)validating what I say, because frankly I'm not sure about the "either" and "too" concept as presented below:

2 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

For example, in Chinese, "either" and "too" are the same word because it doesn't separate positive and negative in this case, so I make write something like "I don't like this map too", which seems very stupid to me right now.

I tend to think at the moment that "either" and "too" are somewhat interchangeable, or do they mean vastly different things? I mean what makes the difference between the following:
I don't like this map too.
I don't like this map either.
For me they seem to be the same thing (which they're probably not, because screw my english skills).

2 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

In Chinese, if you're asked "Don't you like something?", you would use "yes" to represent "you don't like this thing" and "no" to represent "you do like this thing". The latter one is a problem because it leads to misunderstanding, and it's probably difficult for me to explain it in some situation.

Story of my life, not kidding here. That happened to me a lot in spoken language, and it probably still does these days, mostly because I am too quick to respond at times. Short version: Back when I was still travelling with my parents, my mother used to tease me at times by asking 'negative questions' such as "Do you not like that movie?" (When she could tell that I liked it by just watching me), and after I answered she would ask "Do you like you like that movie, or do you not like that movie?". And she made it difficult for me by adding what I'd say was a positive tone to a negative question. And she would never quite stop doing that, it was something that would always happen every few weeks or so. That's probably one of the reasons I tend to give very lengthy responses at times, because I want to rule out the misunderstanding right away, but what it did in reality was that this tendency made its way into a "pool of habits" on my end, the result being that I try giving lengthy answers in a language I am obviously not good at to begin with (Which earned me the nickname "Missunderstood" at some point, and it also raised the probability for mistakes), while also being something like a pain ass to read, because I repeat myself at times, and when I do it's probably annoying for others. So, yeah... I can relate...

Same thing with my own voice. Somebody recorded me reading a few sentences some odd years ago. And when the tape got played back, my voice sounded totally not like would have expected. Which made it a very awkward experience for sure, but somehow I get the sense that this is how a lot of people feel when they hear their own voice as it gets played back. So you're definitely not alone, I can tell you that much. ;-)

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

43 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

In Chinese, if you're asked "Don't you like something?", you would use "yes" to represent "you don't like this thing" and "no" to represent "you do like this thing". The latter one is a problem because it leads to misunderstanding, and it's probably difficult for me to explain it in some situation.

That's interesting to know!  Arguably the Chinese approach is technically correct, as in English the negative phrasing (i.e. "don't you like something?") is basically ignored, and it's answered as if it was positively phrased (i.e. "do you like something?").

English is properly draft sometimes!

17 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I tend to think at the moment that "either" and "too" are somewhat interchangeable, or do they mean vastly different things? I mean what makes the difference between the flollowing:
For me they seem to be the same thing (which they're probably not, because screw my english skills).

They're subtly different.  "Too" has neutral connotations, whereas "either" has negative ones.  So you can use "too" in nearly any situation, e.g.:

I like that one too

I dislike that one too

I hate that one too

Although it's considered a little kiddy-English to only use "too", which is why you rarely see native English speakers using it.  But really it makes perfect sense, and while you won't win poetry awards it, it reads fine.

"Either" is only expected in negative situations, and in a more restrictive sentence structure.  It can only be paired with certain words, such as "don't", "won't", "shan't" or their two-word equivalents.  It's weird.  For example:

I don't like that one either

Is fine, but:

I dislike that one either

Isn't right.  I'm sure there's a proper reason, but I couldn't articulate exactly what!  Just to add to the complication, there is a similar word, "neither", that can be used in a different way.  For example if someone said "I don't like this map", you could reply "Me neither" but not "Me either".  

But really "Me too" would work fine as well.

Edit: @Eris Falling has a good point.  When not used at the end of a sentence, "either" doesn't have the negative connotation.  So "Either this or that" meaning "This or that are both options" isn't negative.  But as an equivalent to "too" (as in "as well as") it is specifically negative.

Edited by Bauul

I don't like this map either, but I like this one too.

I dunno how to explain something like that, it's like we instinctively know which one to use. Sometimes they are used for similar meaning, but there are other cases where one in place in the other would make no sense at all (You can have either of these options, but you can't have too of them, just won.)

Really though, unless you're going for an english exam or writing a formal letter (which you might be for either of those), I wouldn't worry about it too much. If people can understand you and you can understand everyone else, then that's all that matters IMO.

EDIT: yeah, that ^

either is generally best used as a comparing word, either this or that, for example "I like either slaughter maps or stealth action"

too is better used as 'in addition to (subject)' or 'as well' like the given examples "I like this map set too"

'too' is a weird word all on it's own for the multiple spellings that are often confused. "too" "to" and the ballerina dress tutu? lol I've heard this is a difficult part about learning english, there are a lot of cross-meaning words etc. perhaps the same could be said of all religions, but enough talk, have at you! lololol

I found doomworld on search engines back in the day, the first thing I ever typed in altavista? I think? was 'sailor moon' and then the internet to me became the search for custom user maps/level editors hahaha

30 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I tend to think at the moment that "either" and "too" are somewhat interchangeable, or do they mean vastly different things? I mean what makes the difference between the flollowing:

They are different, but not vastly different. I'm going to use mathematical logic to explain (don't worry, this won't hurt a bit!).

AND says that two things are both true.

OR says that at least one of two things is true.

"Too" is used with AND, and "either" is used with OR. There is a subtle nuance when negating these statements, though. If an AND statement is false, it means that at least one of the things is false, and if an OR statement is false both have to be false. In short:

If "A AND B is false", then "A is false OR B is false". Likewise, if "A OR B is false", then "A is false AND B is false". So negating statements with one of these conjunctions implies the other conjunction.

We might say "GarettChan is not a native English speaker, and Nine Inch Heels is not a native English speaker." We could also say "Neither GarettChan nor Nine Inch Heels is a native English speaker." (Neither is literally the words "not either" joined together, as the British like to do with words.)

Spoiler

Another subtle point, just for bonus: The verb is the backbone of the sentence, so it is what we use to determine the too/either qualifier. Since I used "is not" in that first sentence, I went with the negative qualifier, "either". However, I could negate the noun instead by saying "... is a non-native English speaker." In that case, the sentence would read, "GarettChan is a non-native English speaker, and Nine Inch Heels is a non-native English speaker too." Since we're now using AND with verbs that are not negated, we should use the qualifier "too".

So that's why negatives cause us to use the opposite qualifier.

To be quite honest, both of your written English is very good. @Nine Inch Heels, yours is almost perfect -- far better than most native speakers. I realize that writing a foreign language is far easier than speaking it, but you are both very easy to understand.

1 hour ago, GarrettChan said:

Yeah, English is confusing with this one. Personally, I wouldn't respond with a simple yes or no, and I don't really think I'd understand the meaning of someone who did. If someone asked me "Don't you like sushi?" my answer would be "I do," "I don't," or more truthfully, "I've never tasted it."

34 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Somebody recorded me reading a few sentences some odd years ago. And when the tape got played back, my voice sounded totally not like would have expected. Which made it a very awkward experience for sure, but somehow I get the sense that this is how a lot of people feel when they hear their own voice as it gets played back. So you're definitely not alone, I can tell you that much. ;-)

This is universal. The way sound travels inside the skull causes one's own voice to sound lower-pitched and more mellow than it sounds to others. People are always slightly shocked the first time they hear recordings of themselves. That's part of the reason singing teachers tell students to listen to recordings of themselves -- either the student will be motivated to improve, or they will give up. ;-)

@Nine Inch HeelsI guess you may have known this. Because we mostly hear our own voice inside our skulls, so if you record your voice and then listen to the recording, it feels very weird, but that's what other people are supposed to hear.

@BauulI think "dislike" is a positive word with negative feeling (if you get what the heck I meant to say...), so it should be paired with "too", not "either". Gradually I've built up my feeling of English, so I'm making these mistakes less now. (<-Then I realize I probably should have said "I am less likely to make these mistakes now.)

@42PercentHealthWell, I explained that a little bit too slow. ;P   Usually I would add something like "Nah, I like this" to avoid confusion.

The main thing is that Chinese grammar is really not that strict. For example, you are not limited to one (actual) verb in a sentence, so you can pretty much stick all the things you want to say altogether without any prepositions, conjunctions or clauses. Also, Chinese doesn't have tense. All you need is slap the time label to represent timing with nothing else changed. For example: "I go visit my friend yesterday." (<-nice example with both problems) Usually for Chinese who are not good at English, they need to take one extra step to change "go" into past tense, and "visit" into infinitive.

Memfis said why I said "ammos" in my SoD Map05 video. This is the problem while I am talking and playing since I have less brain capacity to think about sentences, and while talking, you have way less time to check your grammar and correct it.

Edited by GarrettChan

3 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

BTW, I'm the one who gave up in singing, XDDD

Me too! (Unfortunately not before we did The Trooper live)

43 minutes ago, Bauul said:

That's interesting to know!  Arguably the Chinese approach is technically correct, as in English the negative phrasing (i.e. "don't you like something?") is basically ignored, and it's answered as if it was positively phrased (i.e. "do you like something?").

English is properly draft sometimes!

French has a specific word for that (answering positively to a negative question), "si". (Not to be confused with the Spanish yes.)

aime-tu cette chose (do you like that thing)? oui (yes) / non (no)

n'aime-tu pas cette chose (don't you like that thing)? si (quite to the contrary my good sir and/or madam I actually do like it) / non (no indeed I don't)

1 minute ago, Gez said:

French has a specific word for that (answering positively to a negative question), "si". (Not to be confused with the Spanish yes.)

Nice knowledge to know. That's why French is always accurate when used correct. (don't know how to describe this properly though.)

@Eris FallingAt least you can write nice musics now :)

4 minutes ago, Gez said:

aime-tu cette chose (do you like that thing)? oui (yes) / non (no)

n'aime-tu pas cette chose (don't you like that thing)? si (quite to the contrary my good sir and/or madam I actually do like it) / non (no indeed I don't)

German has a special word as well: Doch.

Magst du das nicht? Doch. (Positive answer to negative question: don't you like it?).

While both „nein“ (no) and „ja“ (yes) can be used to confirm that you don't like the thing.

Doom has been my favourite first person shooter throughout most of my life, but I've only been into the modding scene since John Romero released his remake of E1M8. This lead to me checking out Brutal Doom, and so on and so on. I've never actually played Doom 2016, as my computer isn't powerful enough. I think it looks pretty fun, but in no way life changing. 

Oh. I forgot to answer the first question…

I've been a silent reader for a bazillion years. I finally registered because of DOOM Retro and I've never played Doom 2016.

2 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Doom has been my favourite first person shooter throughout most of my life, but I've only been into the modding scene since John Romero released his remake of E1M8. This lead to me checking out Brutal Doom, and so on and so on. I've never actually played Doom 2016, as my computer isn't powerful enough. I think it looks pretty fun, but in no way life changing. 

DooM 2016 is a pretty good game, the only major downside it has in my opinion is that they sacrificed too much of Doomguy's/Doom Slayer's speed. I guess they wanted people to rely more on the Glory Kills which are impressive in their own right but the game feels slower than the previous DooM games (not counting DooM 3 here even though it is one of my favourite games of all time it suffers from the same problem of DooM 2016).

I guess I'll actually post on topic for a change

When I started playing PC Doom back in 2012, I found my way to Doomworld and noticed a project that was advertised as nearing its September 2012 deadline for maps. I'd seen very little of PWADs before, so it looked mindblowing, and as someone who played PSX Doom for 10 years, it was a project based off of the part I have the fondest memories of. This project was TNT 2: Devilution. I didn't want to map for it, but had to say something so I registered.

Of course it never reached that deadline, and I did end up contributing one MIDI to TNT2, then it split off into Revilution, which I had a more prominent role in, and TNT2 still isn't released, heh.

Anyway, while I'm still relatively new compared to some users, I've been here long enough to notice old names disappear, sometimes they'll pop up like once a couple of years later, some I haven't seen in at least a few years. The same goes for the newer users, some stick around, some quickly disappear.

Point is, much of the impact on overall forum activity that Doom 2016 had is probably mostly contained to its dedicated subforum. For the rest of the forum, I could only say that the only change in activity that I've noticed myself was indeed due to the forum upgrade this year.

Me joining Doomworld actually had nothing to do with Doom '16. I joined when I was starting to experiment with game and level design and I had always wanted to try making Doom levels, and quick google searches led me here where there's almost infinite resources that allowed me to accomplish what I set out to do and then some.

Plus Doom is just freakin' awesome.

I knew about DW a long time ago, but i wasn't a fan of doom, and didn't liked "that" much (Besides, i wasn't either into forums and stuff so i didn't know how stuff worked in those days) until well, a few months ago already.

7 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

I joined because I was just getting into mapping, and I thought it might be useful to be able to ask questions. It was. And to this day, I've still never completed a map. :-P

I joined because I had questions about mapping too, but hopefully I will not meet the same fate as you when it comes to completing the maps :D I have the beginning outside area and a couple of rooms of an underground area done on my first map and I haven't given up on it yet though i do have a really long way to go on it... here are some screenshots of what I have so far. Speaking of which, as you can see in the screenshots my level is suffering from some annoying patchy lighting issues (not all of the walls are being lit even though I am using dynamic lights) and idk what is causing it, whether it is the computer I am using or the node builder or my gzdoom settings being wrong or something, either way it is annoying and if someone could give me some tips on how to fix it it would be great :)

waddev1.png

Screenshot_Doom_20171006_152119.png

Screenshot_Doom_20171006_152219.png

Screenshot_Doom_20171006_152259.png

Screenshot_Doom_20171006_153313.png

4 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

I found Doomworld through DoomWadStation years before I even registered here because DoomWadStation used to be the first result when looking for custom maps, I wonder how others found this site.

<3 similar for me

I have been aware of Doomworld for years and around then when I was more of a lurker as I often come around to see if anything new is going around in the community, that and the idgames archive for whenever a WAD has been uploaded to play. There's also searching up a topic or question that is related to Doom on a search engine, a Doomworld thread comes as one of the first results, extra points if it's a Post Hell thread for some reason. I registered a couple months ago because I asked myself why I haven't yet, and seeing that I have got back to playing the original Doom IWADs more often, it's nice to play what new mods and projects are released or in the works, I find myself amazed at what some can do.

I joined Doomworld because I've been a Doom fan since I met him, however, I tried to create an account about 2 or 3 years ago, but a strange error occurred where my email account was already used, so I surrendered and finally in September while surfing in search of WADs, I decided to give it an extra shot, Bingo! Its my first and only Forum in internet, and I love it. 

I was aware of Doomworld since like 2010 or 2011 and I lurked for years until I finally decided to make an account this year lol

16 minutes ago, Marlamir said:

seems like this topic is making people courage enough to join this forum

:0 i hope so!I love Doomworld and i hope that as many people join the community as possible :D