Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

Name a character that's like Doomguy

8 hours ago, Pegg said:

Duke has way more character than Doom guy. Doomguy has less character than a wall with a picture on it.

But but but the Icon of Sin has more character than doomguy as it is actually john romero's head and john romero has way more personality than doomguy :D

Any FPS main protagonist from every doom-clone?

4 hours ago, DaDac said:

If it's every male protagonist, Is Shinji from Evangelion like Doomguy?

This is pretty funny!

Shinji is actually kind of like Doomguy in a lot of ways, they are both put in situations they don't really want at first necessarily, but end up enjoying by the end. Both stories both end up not making a whole lot of good sense ???. They are way different to be sure, but Doomguy would have a beer with the penguin right away. If Doomguy was a character from Akira he wouldn't be Kaneda or Tetsuo, I think he'd be Yamagata, the trusted friend who dies in the 3rd act for dramatic purposes lol.

8 minutes ago, reflex17 said:

Shinji is actually kind of like Doomguy in a lot of ways, they are both put in situations they don't really want at first necessarily, but end up enjoying by the end. Both stories both end up not making a whole lot of good sense ???. They are way different to be sure, but Doomguy would have a beer with the penguin right away. If Doomguy was a character from Akira he wouldn't be Kaneda or Tetsuo, I think he'd be Yamagata, the trusted friend who dies in the 3rd act for dramatic purposes lol.

DooM's story made a lot of sense actually. Doomguy felt that bored when he was on Mars and called the sex hotline, turns out it's actually Hell, so after Hell taking over Mars, he went to Hell himself but then realised that from the intense heat his dick burned off so he jacked off his guns on the Demons instead.

Doomguy in a Nutshell.jpg

Edited by DaDac

LOL 2kilometer fall with no damage, that expalisn a lot, THYOU for bringing up to speed on lore, let me know if you would like to talke about a place called LORDARERON in AZEROTH  ( > ' - ' )>

9 hours ago, Urthar said:

John Wick.

That's what I was gonna say. Doomguy is the Boogeyman of hell. Plus, UD E4 was basically revenge for a dead rabbit. Man, now I remember how hyped I am for JW3.

I always thought Doomguy would a futuristic version of Guts (from Berserk) without any personality...

Guts DID wait a long time for a boat, and in original story Doomguy WAS waiting in a hangar playing cards

SPIDER MASTERMIND THEN = GURIFFISU!?!?!?! this no can be >:-(

9 hours ago, Gez said:

I think there actually are a few differences between Guybrush Threepwood and Doomguy.

11 hours ago, DaDac said:

If it's every male protagonist, Is Shinji from Evangelion like Doomguy?

Do you know what hyperbole is

As promised earlier, here is the entire classic Doom story transcript - Every bit of text present in the manuals and in-game is listed here. It's cheesy of course, but it makes for a good read and honestly makes you realize there's a bit more story than we all think when you take it all and add it up!

https://doomshack.org/doomstory.txt

Given what little we know about him "canonically" (referring to Doomkid's post last page), I'd say in terms of fictional characters he's got a similar profile to Batman. An underlying sense of compassion and duty to protect, but great, sometimes perverse joy in the way he goes about it. He hopes demons never hurt anyone again, but he also loves fighting demons.

Am I ashamed that I wrote this post? Yes. I am super-duper ashamed.

Mario:

• he takes no damage from falling
  • his scope of movement is oddly limited
  • he’s fast
  • he collects abstract power ups
  • he progresses to hellish firey final levels only to defeat a boss and realize he hasn’t truly won
  • he keeps getting reboots to show off new computing power
  • he has a lot of projected story and after the fact story but originally he was just a few notes in a game manual with a vague setup meant to be enjoyed as a playable character not a possessed NPC

Sonic

• he's fast, obviously 
  • also has a limited degree of movement
  • also no falling damage 
  • also collects weird power ups
  • also fights bosses that aren't the final boss 
  • also gets rebooted from time to time
  • also has a story, no matter how "unique" it may seem

Why does it sound like Doom is just a 3D first person Mario Sonic game now :/

Lara Croft

• Has guns and uses them
  • Kills enemies
  • Searches for hidden secret areas to get bonuses
  • Gets from one level to another
  • Is human
  • Is from 90s

7 hours ago, Voros said:

Sonic

• he's fast, obviously 
  • also has a limited degree of movement
  • also no falling damage 
  • also collects weird power ups
  • also fights bosses that aren't the final boss 
  • also gets rebooted from time to time
  • also has a story, no matter how "unique" it may seem

Why does it sound like Doom is just a 3D first person Mario Sonic game now :/

You forgot the most important part which is a fan base that can’t stop drawing fetish fan art 

He's everyone's favorite guy!

Everyone's awed and inspired by him!

And it's not very hard to see why:

No one's slick as Doomguy,

No one's quick as Doomguy,

No one's neck's as incredibly thick as Doomguy's...

Gordon Freeman.

Before you dispute it, just think about it for a moment. They're both caught in a similar situation, where they're the only hope in a hellish monster invasion using any weaponry necessary. It's true that they both have different backgrounds (one being a marine and the other a scientist), but I think their personalities are kind of similar (mostly when compared to the marine in Doom 3, since that's arguably the one game where get to see the most of our silent protagonist). From what I can tell, they're both stoic and let their actions speak for themselves.

In my mind the lunatic from the comic book will always be the definitive version of Doomguy.

Even though the comic is absolutely laughable, it does have a few things about it that I like. I mostly like the fact that he's a lone human space marine and not a superhero. I also like how he's just slowly descending into complete madness, which I think is a nice touch considering the setting.

5 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

Gordon Freeman.

My high school friends said that Half Life's innovation was taking what was only a backstory in DOOM and turning it into a plot that you play through as it unfolds.

19 minutes ago, dugan said:

My high school friends said that Half Life's innovation was taking what was only a backstory in DOOM and turning it into a plot that you play through as it unfolds.

They aren't wrong, Doom and Doom95 might've had something to do with GabeN's inspiration to start Valve and make games, who knows. The two games have a lot of similarities, and any disaster story has the idea of "something gone wrong" which is a big part of the plot at the start of both.

Half life was critically acclaimed at the time for it's use of cinematic storyline through only the in-game engine, pre-rendered cinematics were very common at the time. Stuff like the train ride in sets up the theme of the game very well at the beginning. Skeletal animation and and procedural enemy A.I were also big parts of new things in Half-Life. Enemy and weapon variety as well, although that might be more on the novelty side of things. It recycles a lot of the same guns Doom uses, like a lot of FPS did in the 90's, because it's a well balanced set in terms of gameplay. The new weapons Valve came up with are generally useful and don't seem useless like some wacky attempts at weaponry in games, especially when everyone was trying to come up with new ideas to stand out from the trends Doom established. 

Edited by reflex17

"But no one wanted to believe that they even exist, and when the truth finally dawned, it dawned in fire. But... there is one they fear. In their tongue he is Dovahflynn! Doom Slayer!"

Doom 2016 protagonist and Skyrim protagonist are very similar in principle. I mean, the games are very different genres but at the core, both heroes are the only ones who are magically empowered to put an end to a world-ending invasion by mythical creatures. The Doom Slayer can absorb with siphon grenades the demon's "argent energy" to power his weapons and armors and other gadgets; the Dragonborn can absorb the souls of the dragon he kills to increase his own powers.