Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

12 hours ago, franckFRAG said:

31/10/2017 ( :P )

Oh hell yes, I'll be done with Skulldash development by then, too! I look forward to playing Tangerine Nightmare. :)

3 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

Lighting does a lot for building atmosphere.

Screenshot_Doom_20171005_220723.png

Reminds me of a lot of E4M7 "IN The Flesh" from Blood.

I must confess that I haven't played Blood yet. I've seen some of the lovely textures from it though, ooh yes.

1 hour ago, Obsidian said:

I must confess that I haven't played Blood yet. I've seen some of the lovely textures from it though, ooh yes.

You do yourself a disservice for having not played Blood. Enjoy it any way you can!

3 hours ago, Obsidian said:

It's a sin!

2 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

That's easily one of the best 'toppled cars' I've seen in Doom.

The lineage holds true, it is surely the bestexample of a sector-based sideways vehicle since the 'car 54' reference in duke3d E3L11 *nods slowly*

I feel that the nukage sector is a bit bright for the surrounding, I wonder how it would look with the bright areas being sky and headlights? very good either way, standout detailing

17 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Lighting does a lot for building atmosphere.

I vote for something in between those two screenshots: dim, but not so dark that you can't see that big column right in front of you.

Eh, it works better once you're actually playing the map. Plus I just finished a giant pain-in-the-ass lighting trick and I don't wanna redo it. :P

@ rpwda Is'nt it considered a major faux pas to use more than one Romero head? Or is there some secret code/decorate wizardry involved here beyond the delightful visuals (1st screen)

screen 2 is doom3 mod? pixels of hand holding gun/far too crisp. needs more fullbright occult symbolsim

There's nothing weird or unusual to using more than one Romero head, certainly nothing to the level of putting a Romero head in plain sight in a normal level.

All the Romero head is is a hitbox for the Icon of Sin in MAP30; it handles its health, taking damage ( and consequently, playing its pain sound ), and creating the numerous explosions when it dies before ending the level. Nothing occurs if you put several in a level, besides having several things the player can shoot at to beat the level if they can reach 'em.

6 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

I'd hardly consider complete darkness as lighting. :P

MDK, Doom 3, Resident Evil? Tenchu, Metal Gear Solid etc. AND WHAT ABOUT THE GAME YOUR AVATAR IS FROM LOL so very nice

Sections of any game where you can walk up to a wall or pixel and the screen is all black, the only thing that gives away the true shading in this case is the tone of Doomguy's hand/gun

this example was possibly done in a "tongue in cheek" sort of way, but examples are examples hey

QvFKs9U.png

rq map progression doodle whipped into a rq map skeleton

dunno if i'll make it into anything but it certainly seems like a good method to come up with ideas

^ Super good way to think/plan/draw "level flow"

The line drawing looks like the hand drawn map for an old-skool RPG, and I like the fact that the fleshed out map includes that large boxy room in the lower part? That's not evident in the original plan but clearly something you came up with while making the map itself, and would become a crucial part of any final layout here, I think. Looking at something like this I always wonder where would be the best place for the player to start, to take advantage later for enemy/item placement etc.

Romero said that it was during Doom that they came to the idea of the U shape level design I believe? You can see this in Wolf3d or other games too. It became clear that a level with a "hook" in the floor plan can sometimes be more interesting, just like music producers talk about a "hook" in a song to grab attention/build progress in the composition.  It is along the line drawing that one could potentially place the villages, the inns, the dungeons and the castles, so to speak.

It's a corner, I guess. Sky will be changed after I put all required things and check how this plays for me in testing phase. 

wUuNCLM.png

7 hours ago, Eris Falling said:

Holy linedefs

Extremely good name for a wad/map collection

it's a tough call, is it easier to trim a map down or build with extreme line economy from the outset, possibly losing some detailing ideas as a result? Mapedit increased the limits to the build engine to twice the normal capacity, and I remember going back on a highly detailed map eliminating earlier constructs so that I could finish the map with ideas that I wanted to incorporate from the outset.

That's a pain to do, picking and choosing what early details to remove. It can help now with modern editors to copy and paste whole map chunks, at least in theory, much of level design comes down to central set-piece/focal points anyway, methinks. Planning the map on rough can help, but so many ideas come while one is moving lines around anyway... somewhere there is a sweet middle road, I suppose, bashing at the marble until the form makes itself apparent.

3nuO9Bf.png 

A photo of one of maps that I've made for one of my projects. I'm learning how dark chasms really are and how black voids are too. especially when it comes to adding those floating skull rocks too the bottom

18 hours ago, reflex17 said:

^ Super good way to think/plan/draw "level flow"

The line drawing looks like the hand drawn map for an old-skool RPG, and I like the fact that the fleshed out map includes that large boxy room in the lower part? That's not evident in the original plan but clearly something you came up with while making the map itself, and would become a crucial part of any final layout here, I think

Actually, it was intended to be a "pit" of sorts that would provide some long-range harass from imps and such at the start, then once the player got to the other side they'd be able to look across it and have a reference for how they've moved around the level. Kinda like a smaller version of the E1M1 outside area.