Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Collecting Doom cover art

So last night I put together a GitHub repository containing as many hi-res versions of the various Doom artworks I could find. I'm specifically trying to get hold of the original "unblemished" artwork without any added logos, text, etc. added on top.

If anyone has better quality versions of these I'd like to hear to improve the collection. In particular the Roger Motzkus image (used for the PSX port cover art) is fairly low resolution and has rather washed out colors compared to other versions of the same artwork that I've seen.

I also included a subdirectory with several poster images which people might find useful or interesting. But I couldn't find a good scan of the Master Levels poster online. At some point I should probably also scan my Id Anthology poster.

Thanks for taking the time to compile this!

I've seen and I have some of these images already, and I think I recognize a few that I remember seeing somewhere else. I think I can help with a much bigger version of the classic DOOM logo, I don't know how much better it looks compared to the one you uploaded, though.

That image of the original cover art for Classic DOOM is in great quality, congratulations on finding it! 

I've got a bunch of these that I've collected over the years, but I cannot vouch for quality. Basically, if it said "Doom", I grabbed it. I can zip them all up and send them to you, if you felt like doing comparisons.

37 minutes ago, kb1 said:

I've got a bunch of these that I've collected over the years, but I cannot vouch for quality. Basically, if it said "Doom", I grabbed it. I can zip them all up and send them to you, if you felt like doing comparisons.

Yes please, this sounds helpful. I can always expand the scope of the repository - for example I've considered adding some of the stuff found on the Page of Doom site.

4 hours ago, IMX said:

Thanks for taking the time to compile this!

Thanks, though most of the credit belongs to other Doomworld posters. There have been a couple of previous threads that were very helpful in this regard. But I figured gathering them all in one place would be a good idea.

4 hours ago, IMX said:

I've seen and I have some of these images already, and I think I recognize a few that I remember seeing somewhere else. I think I can help with a much bigger version of the classic DOOM logo, I don't know how much better it looks compared to the one you uploaded, though.

They're both pretty decent quality but on balance I think yours is better - the color appears to be slightly more orange, which I think is correct (I cropped the logo from the EU Ultimate Doom poster scan, which previously had its colors messed up). Also, it appears that in my version the bottom of the left 'O' has been modified for some reason (cloned from the facing side of the right 'O'?). So I'll probably replace it with your version.

Slightly off-topic, but I've been wondering if there is an unblemished version of this, does anyone remember this shovelware collection? I doubt there is but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Spoiler

dU0qTuf.jpg

I don't know if you want shovelware but I have scans of the D!ZONE2 box. There's also a good scan of the Doom 64 box out there that you can find by Google searching.

I don't have any art to contribute, but I do want to mention that, about a year ago, Romas Kukalis' original paintings for the cover artwork of the Doom Infernal Sky and Endgame novels went up for auction on Ebay. I believe these auctions did have pictures of the artwork in their clean and logo-less form, although I can't recall for certain as I unfortunately hadn't saved them. This is just a call out to anyone here who may have saved these images at the time.

Not exactly what this thread is looking for, but the preliminary art for the Endgame cover is available here. No sign of the other Doom covers on that site, however.

Edit: After some snooping, I found a version of the clean Infernal Sky artwork hosted on that Worlds of Wonder site here.

romasdoom.jpg

As another lead, it's possible that Frank Cifaldi may have the original Doom 64 promotional renders, most relevant here being the cover logo and the title itself, that were sent by Midway to game magazines back in the day. This is based on the high resolution model renders he posted several years back.

Edited by Revenant100

On 9/29/2017 at 8:56 AM, Jon said:

I should contribute the uk "guts" banned billboard ones I have 

Wait What? Doom has a banned billboard?

The same guy (Shawn Murphy) who designed the final Doom 64 box art which just features one of the Demon Keys in the background on a black field submitted this as a first draft and still shows it off as part of his portfolio:

tumblr_mimwswRhVI1r2to8go1_1280.jpg

It looks like it's just a big mistake, like the imp was just grabbing Doomguy to let him know "hey buddy, watch out for the Cyberdemon, he lives up there"

BOOM! it's kind of hard to have discussion with rockets flying through the air though... no dice RIP impbro

Published by MIDWAY that explains it, they also put out MORTAL KOMBAT B-) gotta give Cyberdemon two rocket launcher arms, that is new, fresh, hip and cool, not to mention also xtreme B-) The fact that he is not firing both barrels shows an intelligent enemy, I like that, this artist knows what it's about.

7 hours ago, Linguica said:

That cyberdemon has TWO rocket launchers!!! Oh the humanity!!!

Interestingly it seems Williams/Midway's original concept for the Cyberdemon for Doom 64 (maybe while it was still being called Absolution, who knows) was pretty close to this drawing, because it seems to be based on the same concept that Gregor Punchatz developed into a sculpture:

On 10/8/2017 at 5:18 AM, reflex17 said:

It looks like it's just a big mistake, like the imp was just grabbing Doomguy to let him know "hey buddy, watch out for the Cyberdemon, he lives up there"

BOOM! it's kind of hard to have discussion with rockets flying through the air though... no dice RIP impbro

+1 kudos for slipping a gun control argument into a Doom thread :P

ROFL That Cyber looks so goofy, his arms being twice the thickness of his legs coupled with that giant head on a relatively slim body just looks goddamn hilarious to me.

The Doom64 cover art Cyber is even better, between the "little hop" pose and the art style it looks like a silly boss from some obscure lighthearted 32X game or something. He is not the Cyberdemon, he is Rocket Goat Man. Nothing wrong with the pic at all, just looks so "cute" for Doom art.